Santini bib shorts any good?

richardjallen
richardjallen Posts: 691
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I don't feel like buying Assos right now even though I know they are arguably the best. I'm looking for a good alternative and I saw some of last years ones on special offer. I am also considering DeMarchi as I have had a pair of their shorts for 2 years and they are comfortable and to the job nicely.

If its important I am riding 70 miles per ride and am increasing to 100+

Comments

• Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    Aaaahh.....twist gel, mondofantastico comfybumo[:D] suits me anyway.
  • ashbyalien
    ashbyalien Posts: 609
    i've been using santini shorts for years and i like them.

<font size="1"><font color="red">www.myspace.com/sfcv2</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    I think Santini make the pad in the Rapha bibshorts so I'd expect quality to be high.
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    trainspotter mode/

i think that it's nalini who make the rapha pads

/trainspotter mode

i have some santini shorts and like them.
  • david2
    david2 Posts: 5,200
    I had a pair of Santini bib shorts, got them from Bob shop.de They were very nice. I haven't been able to find any to Santini shorts since their demise and am currently using a pair of De Marchi and a pair of Briko, all very nice.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by david2</i>

I had a pair of Santini bib shorts, got them from Bob shop.de They were very nice. I haven't been able to find any to Santini shorts since their demise and am currently using a pair of De Marchi and a pair of Briko, all very nice.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Try here:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =7&ID=1446

Just don't buy the last pair before me please.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Santini - superb. Better than Assos IMHO. Talk to Mick and Andy at Prendas http://www.prendas.co.uk , they'll look after you. DeMarchi are good shorts, but aren't in the same league as Santini.

Big H

3 Grand Bike, 30 bob legs!

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    Just got a pair of these XL (6ft and 37 inch waist). The fit of the shorts in terms of bib and leg was just right. However I have to say was a bit disappointed with the width of the gel pad. The pad itself is wide and bonded onto the fabric, but the gel padding doesn't extend all the way to the edge, so that when sitting on saddle (san marco Aspide - width=130mm (not widest in the world), I found my sit bones right on the edge of the gel padding. When cycling head down chewing the bars and pushing there's no discomfort on the perineum, but when cycling more relaxed touring style, I find discomfort on the sit bones due to width of the pad. It could be more my physique than anything else, but thats my experience. ie where the gel padding fits its fine, but where it doesn't.. not the best.
  • I wonder if the gel pad changes size proportionally to the size of the bib. A smaller size might be different to what you are experiencing.
  • derosa
    I'm 6'2" and 34" waist. I take XL in a normal Santini bib short, but find XL too small in their "Pro cut" range and so go for XXL [:I]

Big H

Big H

• I was considering the 'pro-cut' but I might go for the other one instead.
  • derosa
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by richardjallen</i>

I was considering the 'pro-cut' but I might go for the other one instead.

I think that's a wise choice!

Big H

Big H

• Hmmm. I guess the other ones are: Santini Bibshorts - TwistGel `Solo` (2006). Problem is they are only in XXL - not my size.

There are two more, the 'Santini Bibshorts - Slice TwistGel `PowerLycra` (2006)' the 'pro-cut' ones and 'Santini Bibshorts - Slice TwistGel `PowerLycra` (2007)' this years 'pro-cut' ones.
  • jay ceecp
    jay ceecp Posts: 458
    the shorts are very good and very comfy. I managed to get a pair of actual team ones, and they have served a good purpose on long rides. Have tested up to 130miles in very hot weather and had no problems.

www.vcstraphael.com
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk
  • derosa
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by richardjallen</i>

Hmmm. I guess the other ones are: Santini Bibshorts - TwistGel `Solo` (2006). Problem is they are only in XXL - not my size.

There are two more, the 'Santini Bibshorts - Slice TwistGel `PowerLycra` (2006)' the 'pro-cut' ones and 'Santini Bibshorts - Slice TwistGel `PowerLycra` (2007)' this years 'pro-cut' ones.

Richard, you can buy them here http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... BIB+SHORTS

I have two pairs of these and they are superb.

Big H

Big H