Starting racing...

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited May 2007 in Pro race
Having gone on a few fast club rides and finding them relatively easy (haven't been dropped, kept up without too much trouble (bar 1!), sat at the front for long periods without dying) would like to try a few races before the end of this season to see what they are like.

My exams don't finish until the end of June, so July onwards I can start racing, or at least give all my efforts towards cycling.

As i'll be on holiday I can pretty much turn up for any nearby races(money + parents giving lifts permitting [:)]). How many do you think I'll be able to fit in before the end of the season?

Also how long are these races usually- after about 3 hours of fast pace I start to flag, so ideally i'd like to try shorter races (although i'm perfectly happy to enter longer races and come last! [:D])

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    Just make sure that these 'fast rides' are fast enough ;) What sort of pace do you maintain while on the front of the group?

Races tend to average about 22mph for the slower riders and up to about 25-26mph for the fastest groups chasing (in handicapped races at least). Just be aware of that. Even if you're normally riding at say 21-22mph, that step up to 25 can hurt a lot!

Fit in as many as you want, but I'd go with no more than one a week, or two if you plan to use them for training as well (and make sure they're split up so you get recovery periods between each race), and also make sure you take an easy week after 3 or 4 weeks of racing!

Most importantly though, have fun!! Regardless of where you finish in a race, as long as you enjoy it that is the most important thing of all.
  • nolf
    20mph average ish. Sometimes slower but the slower rides I have no problem with (knocked out 100 miles yesterday inc. the 40 mile club run in 1hr 48 mins)

At the front I held up between 20-24 while on a rolling course for half an hourish into a headwind, I was pretty pleased with that.

TBH If I came last every time I would still enjoy it (so long as I came last by less and less each time [:)]), I just need the competitiveness to keep my cycling going.

Alfred Tennyson
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    As you're just starting out, as a junior/4th cat rider don't expect races to be longer than 1-1.5 hours, so don't worry too much on the endurance front. Average speed is often irrelevant as its the changes in pace that usually get you - and very few club runs will give you that intensity of effort. See if there's a local 'chain gang' to join in - these usually informal training groups are often the closest thing to race-training you'll find. Otherwise, look to do some interval or maximal effort training to sharpen your ability to accelerate hard and sustain a threshold effort - may be worth talking to a coach or experienced cyclist for some training tips.
  • Mark.Scp
    Mark.Scp Posts: 514
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nolf</i>

20mph average ish. Sometimes slower but the slower rides I have no problem with (knocked out 100 miles yesterday inc. the 40 mile club run in 1hr 48 mins)

At the front I held up between 20-24 while on a rolling course for half an hourish into a headwind, I was pretty pleased with that.

TBH If I came last every time I would still enjoy it (so long as I came last by less and less each time [:)]), I just need the competitiveness to keep my cycling going.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nolf, come down to castle combe every thursday... races are 32 miles and handicapped - 4th cat set off first, then 3rd, etc.....

I am 18 and am gna b racing there shortly, got my license yesterday :D

hf

Mark

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hi.
    Don't know if your in club or not yet, you could join Ajax, then BCF to get your licence then race.
    I would start off with the crits to get used to it because if you get dropped you can joing back in after a few laps [:D]
    I saw your previous posts and saw you already ride on their club rides so I am sure some of the guys there could give you advice and let you know if you would be ok, but I am pretty sure you could cope [:D]
    There are lots of crits to do in Wales and you could always venture over the bridge but its expensive coming back [:D]
    You can search BCF site for events in following link, the site also explains all the race and licence categories:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... vt_series=

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • nolf
    Aaah thanks very much for info.

Where is Castle Coombe- I'm currently in South Wales and my parents won' be too happy to take me on long drives for races.

I'm gonna send off for my silver BC membership and a racing license ASAP, so that as soon as exams are over I can start.

Found out that there is a chain gang that goes every Tuesday so will definitely start attending that, apparently it is limited so it isn;t as fast as some. (So far Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be club rides of varying lengths and intensities, with the other days as rest/specific training days- hill climbs, power training, sprints, solo time trialling etc.)

I hope i'm not gonna have to shave my legs if I start racing.... [XX(]

Alfred Tennyson
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nolf</i>

I hope i'm not gonna have to shave my legs if I start racing.... [XX(]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You can't get BCF Silver membership without photographic evidence that you have shaved your legs.
  • Houllier
    Houllier Posts: 1,253
    Also, as you may have gathered reading this forum, you had better get yourself a good doctor.

---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>'
    --(+)(+)
    You'll never ride alone
    ---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>\'
    --(+)(+)
    You\'ll never ride alone
  • nolf
    Oh 1 thing as well-

I'm an asthmatic- have been all my life.

It's not very severe, but can get bad in winter and during hay fever season. Because of this I use ventolin before every ride as otherwise my breathing can get restricted. I beleive I have to register as an asthmatic- how do I do this?

Alfred Tennyson