Metallic, rubbing noise from rear wheel

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Noticed today that I occasionally get a metallicy, rubbing noise from the back of the bike ( def. not the B/B - I checked) but onlyhappens occasionally. And it only happens when I 'push' on the pedals - doesn't happens free-wheeling.

Does it sound like the hubs needs greasing? They are only 700-800 miles old ( standard Bontrager on Trek 1200)

Comments

• OK, gotta check the easy stuff first. Is your rear wheel alinged properly? It's not close to the chain stay is it? Mudguards? (if you have them). Brake blocks? (release them and see if you can still get the noise).
    It could be that your wheel is flexing as you pedal hard and touching something that it wouldn't when free wheeling.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • venster
    Checked all the obvious. It only started today 2/3rds the way through a 34 mile ride. Definately not brake rub, no mudguards. When I say push, I mean normal pedalling, not dancing.
  • Jockey wheels?

--
    --
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Doesn't sound like the hubs need greasing.

Sorry I can't think what it would be from the description. We need an MP3! [:)]

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Chain needs some lubrication? Makes sense with the metallic noise only happening when you press on the pedals.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    The cable for the front mech rubbing on the rim ?

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • common problem, your wheel is slightly, and only <i>slightly</i> out of true, or the derailleur hanger is misaligned, or combination of the two. The 'rubbing' will only occur when you are in the biggest cog on your cassette ie the derailleur hanger is hitting the back wheel spokes, and is more likely to occur when you are pushing hard at any particular moment e.g. when climbing a hill. Hope this helps
  • venster
    Pretty sure the rear mech is not rubbing - does it the bike is upside down, so no pushing. I'll relube the chain and jocky wheels and see what happens.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you checked every link in the chain?
    It could be the that one is twisted or bent outwards and is catching on the jockey wheel cage.Or maybe one of the pins is protruding
  • venster
    I'm resurrecting this thread because it has gotten worse.

Today I took back wheel off, prior to a cleaning session, and when I picked the wheel up there was a little puddle of water where the centre of the wheel was. I've managed to get some sound clips, but not great quality, I can hear the grinding - but I know what I'm listening out for. Better clip is the first one. I'm thinking I may have got water in there and maybe it's washed away the grease. If so, is it an easy job to do: regrease the innards? I guess it wouldn't hurt, would it ?

http://tinyurl.com/ypeh27
    http://tinyurl.com/2xd3wg
  • Here's a similar thread with various helpful suggestions and it's ultimate solution (at the top of page 3).

Could it be the same noise?

--
    --
  • venster
    I'm thinking it's the hub bearings too, I've just had a nother listen and when I spin the wheel it sounds like there's something rattling around inside the wheel. I reckon it is the same.

If it is that, should it be under guarantee (something that shouldn't happen) - done less than 800 miles on them. Or is it something that can be done at home (loosening off the cones - not something I've heard of before)