Calclating gradient

marco67
marco67 Posts: 91
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all, I hope this is the correct place to post this question.
Can someone help me with calculating gradients from modern % to the good old fashioned 1 in 4 for example.
I sat watching the Giro yesterday afternoon, now I know the Zoncolan was steep but how would 22% translate.
I'm sure I covered this in maths at school, but that was a long time ago and i'm not even sure if I was listening anyway.
cheers
marco

Ciao Marco
Ciao Marco

Comments

• Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    To get from % to x in y.....

you need to divide 100 by %. For example,

22%: 100 / 22 = 1 in 4.5
    10%: 100 / 10 = 1 in 10
    5%: 100 / 5 = 1 in 20

etc.

Basically 20% means "20 in 100", which is the same as "one in five".

Hopefully that makes sense, and is correct!!

<font size="1">Have you ever tried pressing Alt+F4 ??</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 27
    Yes, it is school maths. Gradient as a ratio (e.g. 1 in 4) is just another way of saying the fraction on quarter (1/4), which is another way of saying 25%.

To convert a ratio to a percentage, multiply the first number by 100, then divide it by the second number (e.g. 1 in 4 = (1 * 100) / 4 = 25%)

To convert a percentage to a ratio, divide 100 by the percentage to give the ratio. For example, 22% gives 100/22 which is 4.54, so the ratio is "1 in 4.54". You could then round it to "1 in 4.5" or "1 in 5".
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    Thanks Mosschops2
    It makes sense, whether brain will function to calculate that when I hit the bottom of the hill remains to be seen.
    cheers

Ciao Marco
    Ciao Marco
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well I watched the race last night and they said it was 22 degrees which I think not [:D]
    If it was 22 degrees then from tirgonometry. 1/tan22 gives 2.5 which gives 1:2.5 or 40% so I guess they meant 22% [:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    No worries marco67.

(Also, I think you meant to write "Calcliating" for the title!!! [;)])

<font size="1">Have you ever tried pressing Alt+F4 ??</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • Mr Dood L Doo
    Mr Dood L Doo Posts: 128
    Remember that the divisor in this fraction is not the horizontal distance, but is instead the incline distance. Counter-intuitive but that's how it goes.

The old 1 in 4 was based on the horizontal distance so really 1 in 4 equates to 24.3 degrees in new money.

cock-a-doodle-grrrr
    cock-a-doodle-grrrr