First Ride Out

New To This
New To This Posts: 40
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
12 miles in 50 mins - not too bad for a first effort!!!

Really enjoyed it and looking forward to my next session on Sunday.

Any hints and tips on what to do next? Get quicker over the route or put in more miles?

In training for a duathlon with a 20k cycle section.

Thanks

Comments

• gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    Keep riding and enjoying!! Thats great for a first run, i could only small mileage in one go when i first got in the saddle!!

I work hard because millions on benefits depend on me
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... 81/MTB.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Well played
    Yep, agree with gaterz1981
    Build-up gradually and make sure it's enjoyable. Great thing about bicycling is that your fitness builds quite quickly. If you can get out 3 times a week for a minimum 30 minutes, then you'll naturally start going further and faster. Personally I like to vary my sessions a bit, sometimes a longer gentle ride, sometimes a fast and furious zip around a few blocks. Keep it interesting and don't worry about the numbers.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Don't worry about speed, just increase distance and the speed will take care of its self. After a while you'll realise you're faster then what you were when you first started out.
  • forget distance and speed, ride by time. useful to log what distance you are doing so you can see improvements

i would be looking to increase time of your rides to maybe 1.5 hrs

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Dearo
    Dearo Posts: 58
    Well done me old mucker !

I'm new to this lark as well and hopefully will be going out for my first ride this Saturday !

I have also planned a distance of 12 mile, which shall take me around Windsor. (chickened out on the hilly route around Uxbridge)

Good luck for Sunday !!!!

Dearo
    Dearo
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    whats your route New To This ?? i am always looking for something different around NW london/b'wood ?

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • New To This
    From Borehamwood - out to Shenley - through Shenley and then down to Radlett - up to Elstree and then back through Borehamwood.

Think I'll extend it down to Aldenham and then up to Bushey when I'm feeling a little braver!!!

Any other routes to recomend?
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    you're cheating !!! i know exactly where you go, past shenley cricket club ??? it's all downhill !!! to radlett tried it out in my car[:D] nah good on you [:)] nice country lanes

you could extend it, by instead of turning left by the parade of shops in shenley/porters park village carry on all the way till you come to the M25, turn left into harper lane and at the end of this road turn left into watling street and back into radlett down the hill[:D] or do it vice versa and its a bit more hilly !!!!!

if you want when i leave for work(live off studio way b/wood) i can see how much extra mileage that loop covers

let me know

p.s free most saturdays for a morning ride around here

• New To This
    Thats the route I went - out to the M25 and through the bottom of Radlett - I live on Robeson Way so I know its 12 miles exactly.

Saturdays sound good.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    opposite the toby carvery ,rutherford close,

actually the next few sats are out 23rd onwards will be free

have you tried going past the mops and brrooms pub, down past that smelly farm, left and up that hill(which i can now do without stopping[:)]) and out towards ridge ?

send us an email or shout through your window and i'll pick up the message

p.s will you be going down to town on 7 july for the tour ,if you need a lift i can give you a lift let us know

• New To This
    What tour? (excuse my ignorance)
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    tour de france !!

• New To This
    Nah - I'd rather be doing than watching!
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by New To This</i>

Nah - I'd rather be doing than watching!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

lol, I don't think urrrrs is actually participating!!!

SNAPS
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    how do you know EMD [:D] i maybe[:D] dont think anyone will notice

how often though does it come around to these sunny shores ??

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I think you could count in decades!!

I may be up for a Saturday run sometime urrrrs. I've only just moved up to your neck of the woods, so your local knowledge may come in handy.

SNAPS
  • New To This
    Evenings are always good for me - from about 7 onwards if anyone fancies it
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I started cycling again recently after what must have been a 25 year lay off so it feels like starting out new. Great fun isn't it? And you'll get some great advice from people here who have been at it that bit longer!