Planet X Bikes

SwissT
SwissT Posts: 5
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
I'm considering getting a Planet X Road Race Carbon Ultegra bike (œ1499)and upgrading the standard wheels to their 50mm Pro Carbon set (œ250 extra). Has anyone had any experience of these bikes (good and bad) from what I can see they seem to be a bargain but can't find any reports on them so hard to make an informed decision.

Comments

• Do a search on here, most people rate them highly. I don't have the bike but I have a set of pro 50 wheels and they are light and responsive and good value in my opinion.
  • I was in the same boat and 'ummed and arred' for ages as they are really undersold on the site. I shopped around and looked at some lovely bikes but when you see the Pro Carbon in the flesh it takes your breath away.
    Customer service is very good but I guess can be a bt quirky if you're not used to it.
    The Alta Race wheels get mixed reviews but so far mine have been fine and I'm 90kg.
    The build quality and finishing kit is fine too.
    I've not had mine long, done a few hundred miles and its spot on.
    I must get some piccys sorted and attached below.

PS I'm not a groupie but I already have a Pomp and an Inbred from the same On-One Planet X stable.

My Bikes
    http://groups.msn.com/ROADCYCLINGUK/juliansbikes.msnw
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Go to Geoffrey Butler's in Croydon as they stock PX bikes and wheels.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Not got one myself - Saw one at the Thames Turbo Tri on Monday - looked awesome in white - unbelievably light - no idea how durable/how it rides.
    Owner bought from GB cycles, where they set him up on rollers.
    It was his first run on it, and he loved it - He also owned 2 Condors.
    Had some serious carbon Xentis(?) 4-spoke wheels - very solid with, I think, a 2 year guarantee.
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    swissT - PXimport and sell direct, which is why the prices look good. the bikes seem to be very well thought of here and on the tri-talk forum. i would give them a call to discuss what you want. the service is generally excellent - but bear in mind that PX is a couple of guys in doncaster and if one is on hols or they are very busy you may need to chase them a bit. if you are near donny you can pop in there to have a look, or in the southeast geoffry butler stock them

i don't have experience of the carbon bikes (other than admiring them) but i have just finished building a PX kaffenback frame for my wife and i have an on-one inbred and a pompino and like them both a lot
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    A great and slightly odd British company (along with sister operation, On-One). Worth supporting even if their gear wasn't top notch - but it is top-notch, so just go for it....

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Re the wheels you may upgrade to - these are good value wheels of their type but these are for tubulars which are pretty much race-only due to hassle/expense etc
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    Fantastic bikes, the only thing I'd change on mine are the wheels (I went for the bargain basement alta comp which are OK for training on, but a bit soft feeling). Picture below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Don't recall ever reading a bad word about Planet X - nor On One.

Certainly all my experiences (3 or 4 On Ones, one P X (not the carbon) have been excellent.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • nom de plum
    nom de plum Posts: 182
    Agree with all the positive comments... great bikes and even better aftersales...they cant do enough for you

some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • Does anyone have experience of the 'Super Value' offering, and is it any good?
    Deos anyone have any pictures of one in it's built up form?

Super Value Build - œ999
    Full Carbon frame with Planet X full carbon deep bladed 370g fork.
    Shimano 105 STis, mechs, cassette and chain.
    FSA Gossamer Pro crank and External Mega Exo BB.
    Planet X Superlight team bar
    Planet X 3d Forged stem
    Planet X Superlight Team Chromo saddle
    Reynolds Alta Comp wheelset with Vredestien Ricorsa tyres
    Tektro R720 brakeset (black)
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    They have a fitting and test centre by appt only in Doncaster. Anyone been there?

I work near Doncaster and have been tempted by value build option but so far managed to avoid ringing them!

Incidentally their web site carries this notice

LARGE CARBON ROAD FRAMES OUT OF STOCK
    Nothing here until mid July - S,M and XL also very low! Check before ordering to avoid dissapointment.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daniel B</i>

Does anyone have experience of the 'Super Value' offering, and is it any good?
    Deos anyone have any pictures of one in it's built up form?

Super Value Build - œ999
    Full Carbon frame with Planet X full carbon deep bladed 370g fork.
    Shimano 105 STis, mechs, cassette and chain.
    FSA Gossamer Pro crank and External Mega Exo BB.
    Planet X Superlight team bar
    Planet X 3d Forged stem
    Planet X Superlight Team Chromo saddle
    Reynolds Alta Comp wheelset with Vredestien Ricorsa tyres
    Tektro R720 brakeset (black)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I bought one a few weeks ago and it is fantastic, light, fast and responsive, plus anyone I have met who is at all clued up about bike looks very envious [:D]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have a set of their Carbon 50s. As you say - with tubs its not really viable as an everyday set of wheels. Racing and special days only unless you're fine about paying for new tubs rather than a new innertube.

Oh and I snapped a spoke on mine - for no apparent reason. :-(

Kinda put me off using them for the race I'd bought them specifically for - so I've got a bit of a downer on them at the moment. Sure they are fast wheels, but for me its really about finishing rather than shaving a few mins off the bike leg of an Ironman Tri.
  • Thanks somekindofwizard!

Any chance of some pics????

Either hosted, or if your willing you could mail me directly - let me know.

Cheers

Dan
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daniel B</i>

Thanks somekindofwizard!

Any chance of some pics????

Either hosted, or if your willing you could mail me directly - let me know.

Cheers

Dan
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sure, will post some up tonight, don't actually have the bike at my place at the moment (she is sleeping on location for her first big ride at the weekend!) but I was sad enough to take some pics as soon as I got it out of the box. Will find somewhere to host them when I get a chance.

Also someone has posted pictures of some PX bikes at the tour of Ireland recently so may be worth doing a search for those.

They are (to me anyway) gorgeous bikes and light, with my ad hoc weighing techniques it seemed to weigh just around 8.8kg including SPD-SL ultegra pedals. Only problem I have found is that as I upgraded to a carbon post too, I am constantly looking at the back wheel expecting a puncture as it coasts over the bumps so easily it feels a little too soft, especially compared to my huge great hybrid.
  • Dave Gcp
    Dave Gcp Posts: 731
    I've got the Ultegra build that you're looking at. Pics at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dagman74/Pl ... aRaceBuild

They're quite high res, so download 'em and zoom in if you want.

The wheels had some bad press recently on here, but mine have been fine - I'm very happy with them!

Dave G
    Dave G
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    Daniel B,

The picture in my sig is the super mega hoola value build right out of the box. Very happy with it - upgrade the wheels if you can afford to, they're OK but not really up to the spec of the bike.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Another Superlight Pro Carbon owner chiming in. I was lucky enough to get one of the original Mega Value Ultegra builds and I can't fault it.

700 miles on the clock and I still can't live up to it's potential, but I'm getting there. It gets envious/curious looks from all the cyclists I pass on my travels, and to quote a member of this forum "it looks like it grew in a laboratory".

The ride is amazing. I was so used to the judders from my aluminium framed hybrid I bailed out of my first ride with a phantom puncture. It's really comfy for long rides but it's as fast as hell when you put the hammer down. Hit 35mph on the flat today, pimps.

<font size="1">Kenny Everett bent my wand :(</font id="size1">
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>