So low down... Blah blah blah...

Archcp
Archcp Posts: 8,987
edited June 2007 in Road general
Talking to a friend on the phone the other day, he was telling me about his other friends who cycle (he doesn't cycle at all and thinks it's all mad and dangerous*), and their racing bikes (light as a feather, skinny tyres, saddles like razor blades...) So I said, "ah well, for real comfort, you want a recumbent..." And of course then he said the usual "No way, too dangerous, being so low down, you can't be seen..."

I did the standard "Yeah, that's right, Ferraris, they're low down, and no one ever notices them. And the white lines on the road, people can't see 'em you know, they're so low down..." I think it took him a minute to realise what I was saying and that I was taking the p*** out of him a bit...

Anyway. Has anyone else got any new and original responses to the "so low down" comments? [;)]

*I wouldn't mind so much, but every time I see him, he's just pulled a muscle or something... Playing golf!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.

Comments

• hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    sounds more like an inlaw than a friend to me[:)]
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hubgearfreak</i>

sounds more like an inlaw than a friend to me[:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, I know. He means well, but being a bit older than me, I think he tends to patronise me a bit. And not being even remotely a cyclist, he has no idea and sees it all from a motorist's eye view...

I guess we all have our blind spots. I mean, GOLF! What's the point!

• gad
    gad Posts: 82
    I say something along the lines of 'Yeah when I'm on my 'bent my head's same level as most car drivers. Now I know why they can't f***ing well see me, 'cos I can't see them!' I like to think it's ironic but I'm probably being plain rude.

Gad lays back and pedals slowly away, poor old soul. Elephants are people too!
    Gad lays back and pedals slowly away, poor old soul. Elephants are people too! Arch for PM. \'Every home fit for baby elephants!\'
  • Or pat him on the head...
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrewgturnbull</i>

Is he shorter than you? If so, just ignore him...

http://www.stirlingtri.co.uk

Oh dear.[:D] He is, and I'd never thought of that...

• Sheddy
    Sheddy Posts: 942
    Oh come on, do tell us what he drives !
    Too much of anything is too much for me
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sheddy</i>

Oh come on, do tell us what he drives !

Oh, a Ford Focus... I don't think he feels the need to compensate for anything.[:)]

• france
    france Posts: 93
    "Ah those recumbents ...low to the ground and cannot be seen ??? "
    Response :-
    So why have the USA air force spent $$$$$$$$$$ millions
    of dollars on stealth bombers ???
    When they could have bought a few recumbents
    and just cycled into Bagdad if it was true !!!!
  • france
    All recumbents are low to the ground and can't be seen ??
    What an interesting statement....time for questions and answers

A:- When did you last see one ???
    R:- 6 weeks ago
    A:- A road or B ?
    R:- B road
    A:- Name the nearest village ?
    R:- Ambridge
    A:- What was the weather like Wet or Sunny?
    R:- Sunny
    A:- Did the rider have a grin on his face ?
    R:- Yes ...from ear to ear
    A:- You have a great memory to remember all those details ?
    R:- Yes I am very proud of my recall and attention to detail
    A:- So tell me about 5 "Normal"cycles you saw on that day ?
    R:- Er ......Er ....Er .... Dam it ...I can't remember seeing any
    A:- How interesting .....whoops there goes another recumbent !
  • Archcp
    Nice ones, France...

• seumasl
    seumasl Posts: 100
    We feel so safe on our recumbent trikes - me Q-NT Barbara Catrike Pocket - that after getting back from our Oxford - Hereford - Oxford trip we realised we hadn't ridden our Thorn Discovery tandem since we got the trikes and have put it up for sale.
    Never have we had so much consideration off of other road users (the only exception being a double decker on the Winey bypass who Did see us but tried to drive us off the road) obviously the driver is frustrated by not knowing his real father !
    Surprised the "frightened to cycle" guy didn't put the usual bit in about "Ooh don't you wear a helmet"
    Lower the better
    Seumas

Just hold it there,don't move and don't drop it, I'll be back in a while.(If it's safe).
    Just hold it there,don\'t move and don\'t drop it, I\'ll be back in a while.(If it\'s safe).
  • france
    <font size="1">
    <i>Originally posted by seumasl</i>

We feel so safe on our recumbent trikes - me Q-NT Barbara Catrike Pocket - that after getting back from our Oxford - Hereford - Oxford trip we realised we hadn't ridden our Thorn Discovery tandem since we got the trikes and have put it up for sale.
    Never have we had so much consideration off of other road users (the only exception being a double decker on the Winey bypass who Did see us but tried to drive us off the road) obviously the driver is frustrated by not knowing his real father !
    Surprised the "frightened to cycle" guy didn't put the usual bit in about "Ooh don't you wear a helmet"</font id="size1"><font size="3">

</font id="size3">How do you get on with TAXI drivers ? do you know any .....is it always true what they say about cyclists ....whilst in the front seat driving ?