Windproof / waterproof jacket recommendations?

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
Hiya,

I'd like to buy a very lightweight, hi-vis, breathable, windproof, waterproof jacket suitable for the current wet but not cold weather. I'd also need to be able to roll it up and put it in a pocket for the long rides that I have planned over the next few months.

I've looked through old editions of cycling plus but can only find reviews of heavy winter jackets.

Can anyone recommend something which ticks all the above boxes (oh and doesn't cost much more that œ50 ish).

Thanks
popette [:)]

Comments

• Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    I know Altura do a range of jackets - their 'Nevis' one is v.popular - not sure how lightweight it is - I think it goes for about the œ50 mark.

I myself bought a Berghaus jacket for way too much money but it is for general wandering about up hills and mountains as well as on t'bike.

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • Try the Montane featherlite H20. I bought one last week and it kept me dry in this weekends Grand Fondo Cymru sportive.

I was out for several hours in wind & rain and didn't get wet. They are really light and breathable, I didn't even notice I was wearing it on climbs (I usually overheat in heavier jackets).
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    another vote for the Montane. It packs down amazingly small. They are going for a good price on www.chainreactioncycles.com. The Montane windproof pants they are selling are excellent too.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    at this time of year, forget "waterproof". If it is waterproof you will boil in the bag and get wet from condensation (no matter how breathable it claims to be)

just aim for windproof - your body heat will prevent you actually getting wet in drizzle and if it is heavier rain you will stay warm and will dry off quicker when the rain does stop. It is rare that a ride is wet from start to finish IME

The Montane top mentioned is a good example.
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • I use altura nevis jacket its not too heavy retails at œ49.99 at evans cycles.
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    ah, but that is where personal differences come into play.

I own an Altura Night Vision (basically a Nevis with extra reflective bits) and although it is a well made jacket I would not wear it unless it was seriously cold as I would overheat and end up sodden inside. In fact, I commuted by bike all summer and wore the jacket twice. All other times I wore a windproof gilet or jacket over a base layer.
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    I looked for pretty much exactly the same thing a few months ago and found the enduro convert which (as the name suggests) converts from a jacket to a gillet. It has two front pockets , unlike many other jackets, and one rear waterproof pocket which the arms can be stored in if you want to change it to a gillet on a ride.

I paid œ50 for it so it's within your budget and the only thing it isn't is very small. It does pack into it's own back pocket and i have carried it in a normal jerseys rear pocket but it is larger than my other small packable jacket.

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 12s66p1931

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    I bought a Jeantex, which never heard of but was great on the CGF lst weekend.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Davis</i>

another vote for the Montane. It packs down amazingly small. They are going for a good price on www.chainreactioncycles.com. The Montane windproof pants they are selling are excellent too.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Which one do you have? There are 3 at CRC.

• sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    The Sportful Hot Pack Wind jacket seems to get a good word on CyclingNews today. The brief mention is on here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... vals/05-30 and a photo of it packed up here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... et_stuffed

No idea if its actually available yet though. Like others have mentioned, I also tend to just use a lightweight windproof this time of year through to the end of Summer. When its warm you don't want the warmth of a waterproof, they just get really clammy.
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    Well it seems it is available from GBCycles, Sigma Sport and a few other online retailers. Just Google the name of the product and links will magically appear!
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Davis</i>

another vote for the Montane.

Is the Jetstream much better than the Velo-and what is the sizing like?

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Thanks for all your replies. The Montane does seem to be what I had in mind.
    Timeless, the Night Vision had a superb review in cycling plus a few months ago - that's the one I'll go for in winter I think.
    thanks again
    popette
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Now, any recommendations for a jacket that will stuff really small? I'd like to go for goretex or eVent, but any cheaper recommendations would be appreciated.

• Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Which one do you have? There are 3 at CRC.

I have the Featherlite Velo Jacket. I haven't used it yet in bad weather, but I'm very happy with it so far. Feels very good and well cut and breathes remarkably well. its made of the lightest pertex.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Now, any recommendations for a jacket that will stuff really small? I'd like to go for goretex or eVent, but any cheaper recommendations would be appreciated.

Mr P, I think you will struggle to find anything decent that will fold smaller than the Montane H2O, it fold small enough to fit in your jersey pocket and is very breathable/waterproof.

SNAPS