vitamins/minerals

speedbump
speedbump Posts: 416
I've started taking a selection of these along with my daily EPO and steroids.

Seriously though, I read in some cycling mag a few months ago that iron can't be absorbed at the same time as something else, but can't remember what it was. Was it iron and zinc that don't mix? Are there any other things that should be taken at different times of the day?

Thanks.

Comments

• stevejmo7
    stevejmo7 Posts: 69
    Don't drink tea at the same time as iron tablets as (as far as I recall) the tannic acid in tea reacts to form a complex called iron tannate which is then excreted.
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    the wife is preggers so have been reading up recently. Iron should be avoided when drinking milk. Iron is best taken with vit c to aid absorption
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    From memory (poor at best!) and recent human nutrition course iron zinc and copper levels are interlinked which means if you alter one radically you run the risk of altering the others by 'accident' so to speak - tho' I suspect we're talking big amounts to have a bad effect. I was also told to boost iron uptake with foods containing vitamin C. Dairy products tend to chelate metals generally - but how much is a problem if you're eating a balanced diet I've really no idea (and dairy is usually needed for other reasons eg fat soluble vitamins) Personally I'd take extra vitamins/minerals with a balanced meal. That way all the gut enzyme systems for uptake will already be working to take up a broad range of stuff. Larger amounts of Vitamin C are worth taking as slow release or shared out over several doses per day. And then of course many would argue that if you're eating a 'healthy' diet you don't need supplements, whilst others would argue that mass produced foodstuffs are so depleted of vits/mins now everyone should take supplements. Furthermore...no I'll stop there :-)

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    More likely, it was not to take Ferrous Sulfate (Iron) with Vit. E.... they seem to neutralize each other :(
    Cajun
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I was reading something today how cyclists also need calcium.

In fact... here it is.
    (The report is three years old)

http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/Articles/Osteoporosis-Cycling/Osteoporosis-Cycling.html