Broken 105 Leaver

daowned
daowned Posts: 414
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I broke my left hand Shimano 105 10spd leaver when trying to shift up to the large chainring on a compact chainset it got stuck real bad, I reckon I had the cable too tight? The LBS gave it a 50/50 chance of getting the mech back around, it didn't work out!

I am aware that these leavers are non serviceable! a shame and such an expensive part of the bike, I was looking at œ140 for a new set from the LBS or about œ80 just for the part. I decided that I would order some Dura-Ace 10spd leavers from Wiggle as they cost œ145 and you get new cables.

As I understand the Dura Ace 7800 STI LH leaver is for a double/compact so does this mean the with one click the chain will jump on to the other chainring just like the way it does on a triple. I would say the reason why I broke the LH 105 was because of the way it shifts on a compact it would be much better if Shimano had a 105 LH double and triple leaver rather tha using the same one for both for me it doesn't feel right.

Can I expect anything good from the Dura-Ace over the 105 other than the LH shifting? for a extra œ45 from the 105 and cables I thought it was worth it or should I have went for Ultegra at a extra œ25?

Looking at the Wiggle website they have went up to œ180 from œ145, yesterday must have been a special offer for that week only?

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    "Lever"
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    "Thanks Sir" [;)]

Cycle Gallery
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    I converted from a double to a triple on a bike I once had. It had Tiagra sti's, pretty similar to the 105's in that they do double or triple shifting. I thought that they worked much better with the triple than the double. I agree with you Daowned, separate shifters for double and triple would be better. It's odd that only Tiagra and 105 are double/triple, the rest of the range, including Sora, are double or triple specific.