Loose Crank

adh038
adh038 Posts: 67
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Recently after a ride my left crank (FSA SLK MegaExo) came loose. I have retightened but am just wondering whether this is a sign of worse things to come. The cranks (& bike) are only 5-6 mths old but are ridden twice a day. There also seems to be a very slight 'clunk' through the crankset now when I ride, though I think I may have lost an O-ring at the time.

Anyone offer any insights?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always check my crank bolts every fortnight. When new they loosened quite quickly, but now they seem to have settled in, and rarely need tightening. I think if you leave them loose for extended periods they can go out of shape and become more of a problem.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Grab each end of the crankarm and try and rock it back and forth - check to see if there's any movement between the arm and the spindle. If there's no movement, you'll be OK.
  • adh038
    adh038 Posts: 67
    and if there is?

Thanks for the comments.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adh038</i>

and if there is?

Thanks for the comments.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Then the damage has been done. I assume these are tapered square cranks. Most probably will be the left crank arm that is butchered. You can get individual left crank arms, but they obviously wont match original. If its an old hack you can get left crank arms for under a tenner. Anything decent and you will probably want to change the whole crank set which is more expensive.