Snapping spokes......

photojonny
photojonny Posts: 382
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
I've put about 1200 miles on my entry level bike, which has cheapo wheels. I've now had 3 rear drive-side spokes snap at the hub. The last two have happened about an hour after a short ride, with the bike stood in my living room. There has just been an almighty twang, and hey presto, one bust spoke.

Is this happening cos I've got a cheap (or duff) wheel, or are there any other reasons why?

At least I can fix them myself now.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

Comments

• peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    It's quite common with a cheap entry level wheelset. Let me guess, Alex rims with straight guage spokes?

When you had the first spoke replaced, the shop should have tweaked all the spokes so the only permanant answer is to rebuild the wheel with decent (DT or sapim) double-butted spokes.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Elephants - where were they when we were fighting the nazis? Eh? Eh?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Is your bike a late '05, early '06 model. If so, could it be the infamous spoke quality problem, reported in the US, but I imagine it may impact cycles destined for the UK (assuming they share production facilities):

"Bike shops are being forced to build hundreds of replacement wheels each week because spokes in stock wheels are failing. The problem is currently found in bikes costing up to $600 from makers such as Fuji, Giant, Jamis, Pacific Cycle, Raleigh, Specialized, Trek and others.
    The scope of the problem is still uncertain, according to a cover story in the trade magazine, Bicycle Retailer & Industry News. Bikes made for the above companies in various Chinese assembly plants received wheels laced with defective spokes.

The spokes are breaking in the middle and/or rusting. It's suspected that cost-cutting by a Korean company resulted in substandard wire being supplied to spoke manufacturers. According to the magazine, tests show that the spokes have nickel and molybdenum contents far below normal levels.

The faulty spokes may have N, Z or S stamped into the round head or no insignia at all. If you have a 2004 or '05 bike in which the spokes begin rusting or breaking, check with the shop where you bought it."

HTH - Rufus
  • photojonny
    It's an 06 model from Edinburgh Bikes. The rims are Rigida Nova. So it could be either or both ideas mentioned.

Thanks guys, just wanted to check there wasn't something obvious I'd missed. I'll stick with it for a while as I bought a few spare spokes, and a bit of fixing here and there won't do me any harm.

If it gets out of hand/annoying I'll upgrade the back wheel to something a little better.

• Hi; What model bike is it by the way
  • photojonny
    It's Edinburgh Bike's in-house Revolution Continental Race '06.

• Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    I had a similar problem with Ritchey ocr wheels, the spokes were snapping at the knuckle where they attach to the hub. I bought shimano wh550 wheels a year ago and have had no problems with them.

O na bawn i fel LA
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by photojonny</i>

It's Edinburgh Bike's in-house Revolution Continental Race '06.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Jonny

guess what?? Same bike as you and same problem!! I had 2 spokes bust about a month ago and had no idea how to mend it and so LBS did it for me. When i went to collect it i noticed a spoke was still broken. when i pointed that out the guy said they had heard a pop earlier that day and that must have been what it was. They sorted it for me there and then.

My problem now (and the reason it is back in the LBS) is the front Mech. First it wouldn't change to the smallest chainwheel and now it does it when i don't select it to. Hope the LBS can sort it as i'm getting a bit annoyed with the bike. Compared to my Trek, which i've had longer, the revolution has been nothing but a pain.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    That about fits with my Lemond Etape too, I reckon. Well, it's nice to know it isn't just me and the pies! I'm rebuilding my wheels myself, upgrade fever... [:)]

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • oops I have just got one for myself (continental race) but I have not even been on it yet, seems a bit worrying 2 bikes identical 2 identical problems.Think I might consider a wheel change.
  • photojonny
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

Hi Jonny

guess what?? Same bike as you and same problem!! I had 2 spokes bust about a month ago and had no idea how to mend it and so LBS did it for me. When i went to collect it i noticed a spoke was still broken. when i pointed that out the guy said they had heard a pop earlier that day and that must have been what it was. They sorted it for me there and then.

My problem now (and the reason it is back in the LBS) is the front Mech. First it wouldn't change to the smallest chainwheel and now it does it when i don't select it to. Hope the LBS can sort it as i'm getting a bit annoyed with the bike. Compared to my Trek, which i've had longer, the revolution has been nothing but a pain.

My front mech has never been 100% right. Luckily where I am in York there are no hills, so I just leave it on the middle ring most of the time. I suppose one thing about reviews is that they give you an idea of what a brand new bike is like, but not how it fares over the long term. That said I've done more miles on this bike than on all the other bikes I've owned put together, so can't complain too much. I just remember I only paid œ270 for it and it makes me feel better [:)].

• DLB
    yeh i know how you feel. If i could only get the front mech right it would be so much better. If the LBS can't sort it this time i'm going back to the shop in Leeds. Nice bike though.

Really strange how we keep having the same difficulties.

• photojonny
    Yeah, I'm generally pleased with it. Got nothing to compare it to though. I think if I was replacing it if it got nicked, I would go for something with a more upright position - Giant SCR etc, but for the position rather than the bike.

To continue our little parallel world I got my first track pump yesterday as I needed it so I could fix the spoke. It's a Pedros one, but it's not a patch on the Revolution one I used on the course at Edinburgh Bikes in Leeds. With that one, literally 5 or 6 really easy pumps and the tyres were at 120psi. With this one I had to put my whole weight on it (feet off the floor) to get it up there. It was the only reasonably priced one the shop had and I needed it that day.

• DLB
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

To continue our little parallel world I got my first track pump yesterday

Now that is REALLY spooky/strange. [:)]

• photojonny
    I'm not a stalker, honest guv! [;)]