Bike Computer ; rain

Tunnycp
Tunnycp Posts: 92
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Changed my bike last month and had a computer added,CatEye Wireless.
Really good.I enjoy not sticking to my pre-mileaged routes.
Good to know accurate mileage and speeds. New bike is ace too.

Two questions.

Had my wettest ride yesterday and the computer stopped working
after around 12 miles. I give the magnet and and sensor both
a wipe and they worked again fine. Is this a normal occurance in wet
conditions?

How long does a typical computer battery last before needs replacing?
Is it based on mileage use or time use ? Just curious when to expect to
watch for it expiring. Cheers all.

Tun

Comments

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I have found that the battery that comes in the computer seems to last about a week, but the replacement lasts a year or two. I don't have any trouble with bike computers in the rain though. Try cleaning the contacts then coating them in vaseline to keep the water off.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• Tunnycp
    Thanks Garybee.

I'm around 5 weeks in with the new bike and computer.
    Maybe the store put a brand new battery in rather than the one
    supplied with the computer as I'm well past the week that you mentioned.
    Hopefully I'll get a year or two out of this one.

I'll keep a close watch during future wet rides. Ta! for the tip.
  • mxc070
    mxc070 Posts: 77
    I have had that problem, in the wet recent weather, I thought that I was the contacts on the mount, because mine is wired, but if yours is wireless, I am not sure becuase you would not expect the sensor to be effected.
  • Tunnycp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mxc070</i>

I have had that problem, in the wet recent weather, I thought that I was the contacts on the mount, because mine is wired, but if yours is wireless, I am not sure becuase you would not expect the sensor to be effected.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Once I cleaned/dried the magnet and sensor , things worked again.
    I'm about to go out again in a few minutes and it's dry today, so i guess
    I'll find out quick enough if there is any battery issue or not. Cheers[:)]
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Just to clarify, the vaseline on the contacts will only help for the mounting contacts of the computer, not the sensors. As the sensors use magnetic reed switches they will be unaffected by water. I hadn't noticed that yours was a wireless computer.

Have you checked the distance between the sensor and the spoke magnet?

• Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    "Is this a normal occurance in wet conditions?" It is normal for wired, not for wireless though.
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    I've got the Cateye wireless and find the battery life very poor even though the set up is well within tolerances. I have to replace batteries every 4 months or about 100-200 hours riding time. The transmitter battery lasts longer than the one in the computer but still needs changing every 6 months. They are both much worse in cold weather but seem waterproof. The batteries are about œ2 each on the high street but you can get them for as little as 79p on the web if you buy a job-lot. When I've used my current battery stash I'll be going back to wired.
  • Tunnycp
    Back from todays ride and the computer was back to normal and functioning fine.
    I can only think yesterdays cold and wet caused a temporary hitch to it's working.
    It did respond to being cleaned/dried during yesterdays ride.

As passing comment,hit 1000 miles on new bike today.(1,012 in 40 days )Not too bad....
    and what a brilliant mountain finish on the Giro this afternoon....

Thanks for the thoughts,replies and tips guys.

Tun