Drink Driving - young drivers take more chances

linfordlunchbox
linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
edited June 2007 in Campaign
I'd like to think I'm surprised at this, but they can be such dick-heads behind the wheel. Same again for the attacks on the Audax riders !

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> BBC NEWS
'I can't believe I was so stupid'
Senior police officers have warned that a growing number of young people aged between 17 and 24 in the UK are drinking and driving.

Here, a 17-year-old talks of his regret after crashing his car having drunk several bottles of beer and other alcoholic drinks at a party. He has asked to remain anonymous.

I don't know why I did it. To this day I just can't remember what possessed me to get in my car and go for a drive.

I had never done it before. It must have been the alcohol clouding my judgement, I wasn't thinking straight.

I guess I thought it would be funny, a good laugh. A friend said they would come with me. When I think how bad it could have been I shudder.

I had driven to the party in the evening and intended to stay the night before driving home after sobering up.

Lots of my friends were there and I probably drank between eight and 10 bottles of beer and other drinks.

My memory of the night is that I was very drunk. Suddenly I had the idea to go for a drive. There was no need for it, I wasn't going anywhere or going to get anything.

'It was frightening'

We went around the country roads near the place where the party was being held in a house. On my way back I had the accident.

I just lost control going around a tight bend. I don't remember how fast I was going or anything about it really. I must have been going too quickly.

The car ended up crashing off the side of the road and ending up in a ditch.

It was frightening. Luckily neither myself nor my friend was hurt. But it could have been so much worse.

The car was a write off. I was really shaken up.

People said just learn from it but I couldn't just forget it. I rang Connexions, the young persons' helpline, because it was really getting to me.

'Everyone binge drinks'

I could have killed myself or my friend. It would have been terrible for my friends and family.

In the worst case scenario I would have killed a pedestrian or cyclist, which could have easily happened. I can't believe I was so stupid.

I was really lucky and I'll never do it again. You think you can drive but your reactions are so slow. Everything rushes on you really quickly when you're driving while drunk.

Young people are becoming more blas‚ about drink-driving. Many of my friends will drive home from the pub over the limit.

Everyone binge drinks these days so people think they're fine if they haven't had what they usually drink.

But they have usually had much more than is safe.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/6700507.stm

Published: 2007/05/29 11:39:03 GMT

¸ BBC MMVII
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

Comments

• Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    Because they know there is almost zero chance of getting stopped and checked by a Police patrol.

Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rigid Raider</i>

Because they know there is almost zero chance of getting stopped and checked by a Police patrol.

Its not easy telling if someone driving up a road is over the limit by looking at a couple of pictures taken one second apart and then asking them to confirm their identity 14 days later - lazy policing lets the really dangerous get away with it.

I'll wager that many aren't even legal behind the wheel judging by the way they drive/the <s>wrecks</s> <b>cars</b> look around my way

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Has the number of traffic police gone down then? If so, is this in line with other government departments, or have the police decided to leave all traffic policing to cameras?

And your evidence please...

• Nope Mr P, just another excuse to have a pop at Safety Cameras. Standard fare I'm afraid...
  • marinyork
    marinyork Posts: 271
    I know this isn't a discussion but what actually is the drink drive limit in terms of drinks, it very rarely gets mentioned at all on tv or in the papers? I know it varies on physiology, age, gender, etc. but from what I've been able to work out it should be about 3-4 units (or less infact). I mention this because just about everyone I've ever asked swears blind that it's 2 medium lagers about 5 units and that you'd actually be just about borderline on 3 lagers. That sounds completely insane to me and I've always wondered whether this apparent urban myth is why so many people drink drive because not only do they think they aren't going to get stopped but because they think they aren't over the limit at all.
  • I always thought the limit was two units, or a single pint (though these days that can be in excess of two units).
  • marinyork
    I used to think that it was 2 units too peyote as when I've heard it mentioned very occasionally on the tv it seemed to imply it was 2 units, but from other things I've read it seems to imply it's a bit higher (but not much).
  • linfordlunchbox
    This wasn't the intention of the original thread peyote, but it does deserve some merit.

Perhaps the knowledge that there is more emphasis on technology is making the drink drivers more bold in their behaviour.

Where there used to be a plod car parked down the road from a pub is now a speed camera, most wouldn't take the risk for getting caught, in the former, but just keeping the needle below the limit guarantees that they will get away with it regardless if how much they have drunk !

• marinyork
    There aren't endless speed cameras located near pubs. There must be at least 100 000 pubs in britain and there are only what, about 6000 speed cameras?
  • linfordlunchbox
    Not wanting to dwell on the point of speed cameras any further, you can accept that the point I'm making regarding them and Drink Drivers is a valid one marinyork ?

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

I always thought the limit was two units, or a single pint (though these days that can be in excess of two units).

I thought it was about that. I'd very rarely have even a half if I was driving, and certainly no more than that...

Is there also a problem with these alcohol/caffeine mixes (vodka/redbull etc)? I've heard it said that binge drinking is increasing because this sort of drink lets people go on drinking, when if they were just on alcohol, they'd be getting sleepy. So perhaps the stimulants make people feel more alert and 'in control' even when they obviously aren't..

As I understand it, the main thing that changed people's behaviour around drink driving was social disapproval. Is it that that's slipping now? Disapproval doesn't seem to affect the way a lot of people behave, especially when drinking...[:(]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Yet more evidence that a yellow box with a lens and some film inside it isn't the answer to the problem of safety on the roads.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    And so speaks a SS member.
    Right, Bonj?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by linfordlunchbox</i>

This wasn't the intention of the original thread peyote, but it does deserve some merit.

Perhaps the knowledge that there is more emphasis on technology is making the drink drivers more bold in their behaviour.

Where there used to be a plod car parked down the road from a pub is now a speed camera, most wouldn't take the risk for getting caught, in the former, but just keeping the needle below the limit guarantees that they will get away with it regardless if how much they have drunk !

I think you may have a valid point Linf... ...if a single drink driver thinks like that.

I believe that the increase in drink driving has many factors, and the majority of them are probably more significant than the perceived replacement of traffic polic with technology (no matter how flawed and unproven that perception is).
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Or perhaps I should say that a yellow box designed to cut deaths from speeding is no good at stopping drink-driving. It hasn't helped with street robbery either, nor has it stopped the Darfur genocide.....

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Yet more evidence that a yellow box with a lens and some film inside it isn't the answer to the problem of safety on the roads.

It isn't THE answer no, but then no-one ever said it was!

It is PART of the answer though, Safety Cameras do save lives after all!
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    I've heard that anti-biotics are totally ineffective against viruses! [:0] Yet the NHS still spends millions of pounds on them when they clearly aren't the answer to viral disease. Shocking hey bonj?
  • anyway, back to the point of the thread, Arch made a point that struck me about stimulants (caffiene) and alcohol being mixed and allowing the drinker to continue drinking longer than previously.

The prevalance of Cocaine these days I think may be a factor, it is very easy to get hold of and makes drinking far beyond your usual capacity a reality as well as giving you excessive confidence. Not a good combination if you've got a body full of hormones, surrounded by your peer group and a set of car keys in your pocket...
  • linfordlunchbox
    One point which not a lot of people know is that alcohol interferes with the livers ability to release glucose into the blood stream (the liver is the bodys storage system for it).

If you drink on an empty stomach, even a pint can make your head spin as chances are you are actually going mildly hypo which gives similar symptoms to alcoholic poisoning !

• pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Or perhaps I should say that a yellow box designed to cut deaths from speeding is no good at stopping drink-driving. It hasn't helped with street robbery either, nor has it stopped the Darfur genocide.....

Tony why do you keep signing up with diffrent usernames, just to argue with yourself? [;)] (This could very well back fire since you prob have no idea who i am [:I] Im bored at work teehee )
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    Here in Ireland I would say its the older generation that tend to drink drive more. I reckon stick a cop with a breathalyzer outside a golf club any day and 9/10 drivers would be over the limit which is about 1 pint/2 units. I think again its perception of getting caught. The young lads get pulled over.. middle aged get waved on at alot of checkpoints.
  • Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    Strictly mathematically:
    The average man is 58% water (women, 49%).
    A pint (568mL) at 4% has 22.72mL of pure alcohol in it.
    The drink-drive limit is 0.8mg/mL, which works out to 0.08% alcohol by volume, as alcohol and blood have essentially similar masses.

If we take a 150lb (67.9Kg) man, 67.9*0.58 = 39.4Kg 'water'.
    90-98% of alcohol consumed is metabolised, we'll just say it's 100% for convenience here.

For a BAC of 0.08% our 150lb man would have to consume 39.4Kg * 0.0008 * 1000 = 31.5mg or 31.5mL of pure alcohol.

So about a pint and a half of 'typical' beer to get to the limit. Less for women, more for heavier blokes.

"We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Canrider</i>

Strictly mathematically:
    The average man is 58% water (women, 49%).
    A pint (568mL) at 4% has 22.72mL of pure alcohol in it.
    The drink-drive limit is 0.8mg/mL, which works out to 0.08% alcohol by volume, as alcohol and blood have essentially similar masses.

If we take a 150lb (67.9Kg) man, 67.9*0.58 = 39.4Kg 'water'.
    90-98% of alcohol consumed is metabolised, we'll just say it's 100% for convenience here.

For a BAC of 0.08% our 150lb man would have to consume 39.4Kg * 0.0008 * 1000 = 31.5mg or 31.5mL of pure alcohol.

So about a pint and a half of 'typical' beer to get to the limit. Less for women, more for heavier blokes.

What about heavy women with water retention [;)]

• Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    Well, exactly. Just trying to provide a framework within which people can bat about 'I heard 2 units gets you pisht' anecdotes.

• marinyork
    I can accept linford that you may have a point but only a more general one about technology. Speed cameras are for specific things at specific locations. It's a rather unconnected really.

Back to actual policing. I've never heard of anywhere that is keen on drink driving policing apart from North Notts. I've seen numerous campaigns in the summer to read plates but never once gone past the same for drink driving, even at Christmas. It's curious also that the drink drive stats show disturbing regularity throughout the day, week and year and not just at the world cup and christmas when the campaigns are supposed to take place.

As for the factors with the young I think some of them are quite dull, transportation many miles home being one of them. I think this is also relevent in driving home when tired late at night.

Thanks for your calculation canrider.
  • madmotorist
    madmotorist Posts: 46
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Canrider</i>

I believe that one "unit" is equivalent to 25ml (one measure)of 40% spirit, eg whiskey, which would be 10ml of alcohol.
    So 3 measures of spirit to get to your calculated limit.
    And they normally equate half a pint to a single measure, so that all ties together quite well.
    But as has been said earlier, most beers today are stronger than was used to make that comparison.

I don't know whether I was seeing the same press release that started this thread, but the one I saw on TV was implying that the percentage of younger drivers over the limit was higher than older ones, and so they implied that the youth had not got the message.
    However I'm with the person above who said that it's mainly older people that are the culprits. I don't think they took account of the much higher number of younger people that fill the pubs these days (particularly in towns). I'd say that as a percentage of people that drink out of the home the number of people caught over the limit is lower for the younger age group not higher. It's old codgers like me that have not got the message ("being doing it for years and never had accident / got caught so why should I change now")

PS. that last quote is supposed to be the view expressed by those who will not learn and does not represent my views.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by linfordlunchbox</i>
    What about heavy women with water retention [;)]

I already told you, I never drive after more than half a pint...[:(!]

[;)]

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    The OP reads as if young drivers are behind everything that is wrong on the roads. Is this accidental or is the poster really that blinkered and prejudiced?

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garybee</i>

The OP reads as if young drivers are behind everything that is wrong on the roads. Is this accidental or is the poster really that blinkered and prejudiced?

He really is that blinkered and prejudiced, have you not seen his previous posts[:)]
  • linfordlunchbox
    No, what I'm saying is that younger people are less in touch with their mortality and do take risks which more experienced (older) people are less inclined to do.

Its usually a serious accident by them or one of their mates which brings it home, and then they think a bit more and take less risks !

Don't take my word for it, try getting insurance for a 17 year old in any family hatchback and see how much it costs.

The underwriters quote on risk

EG:- 2 litre TDI Ford Focus

Young pimply chav @ 18 years of age = œ1500+ 3rd party, fire & theft or a refusal to quote.

Older more experienced driver = œ250 fully comp

Says it all really doesn't it !