Folder advice needed

Twist Barbie
Twist Barbie Posts: 20
edited May 2007 in Road general
I'm considering buying a folder, mainly for a 2mile each-way commute but perhaps also to put in the back of the car once in a while. Not planning on carrying any more luggage than my laptop.

I've had a quick look at a Brompton - a three speed with a flat bar (S type?) and also a Dahon (I think it was a MU SL).

I'd appreciate views from anyone who has tried both types.

Thanks

Comments

• For the Dahon, I think you must mean either the Curve SL (5-speed, lightweight), or the Mu XL (8-speed, rack, suspension seatpost). I used to have the older-model Dahon Helios XL, similar to the Mu XL, with the same 8-speed hub. I now have a Brompton, M-bar (traditional), 2-speed (for lightness), as many bits as possible in titanium.

Those Dahons have 20" wheels, the Bromptons 16". I don't really find that makes much difference. However the 8-speed Dahon hub is more versatile than my 2-speed Brompton. I liked the Dahon until I started taking it by train. Then I found it rather heavy (can't remember exactly, but between 13 and 14 kg.) Also, Dahons basically fold in half, with the bars folded down. I found it made a relative bulky and awkward package.

So I decided I needed a better fold, hence Brompton, and lighter weight. You're looking at the Brompton S-bar, the straight handlebar. That gives the more aerodynamic riding position, and also reduces the bike weight a little, but I prefer an upright position so I got the M-bars. You can get up to 6 gears on a Brompton, but that adds to the weight, so I decided to live with 2, and I'm managing okay. (I'd much rather walk up a hill than knock myself out trying to ride it.) My Brompton weighs about 10.4 kg. I could have had it a bit lighter if I'd done without rack and mudguards, but I wanted those. Still quite a heavy package to lift one-handed, but much easier than the Dahon, and a better shape.

Either bike will go in the back of a car with no problems. For riding, the Dahon's bigger wheels may be better. If you're looking at the 3-speed Brompton, you already have the weight of the hub gear (which I wanted to avoid) so you could also add the 2-speed derailleur to give you 6 in total, but you might prefer the simplicity of Dahon's 8-speed hub. If you need fold and carry the bike, or get it on and off public transport, the Brompton wins, no contest.

Mary

The older I get, the better I used to be.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    whilst at the bike shop buy some sandals, maybe some james last records, a lifetime subscription to the CTC, a strange liking for terry wogan and a couple of suits (fat pin stripe city-gent is best) to wear when riding it.

[:)]

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Adam_57
    Adam_57 Posts: 85
    Went to a shop intending to try both. Saw the folded sizes in the shop and didn't bother even riding the Dahon.

If folded size is important (and I have found it often is), there really is no comparison, it has to be the Brompton.

Some say Dahon rides better, but I find the Brompton fine and fun for a 5 mile each way commute
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've had a quick look at a Brompton - a three speed with a flat bar (S type?) and also a Dahon (I think it was a MU SL).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you PM me, I will send you a photocopy of a comparative review (from A to B)of both the Mu SL and an S-barred 2 spd Brompton.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> whilst at the bike shop buy some sandals, maybe some james last records, a lifetime subscription to the CTC, a strange liking for terry wogan and a couple of suits (fat pin stripe city-gent is best) to wear when riding it.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds more like the archetypal, Johnny-come-lately, fixed Fuji rider to me...

Folders
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Origamist</i>

If you PM me, I will send you a photocopy of a comparative review (from A to B)of both the Mu SL and an S-barred 2 spd Brompton.

Sorry for being dense, but how do I do that?
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peejay78</i>

whilst at the bike shop buy some sandals, maybe some james last records, a lifetime subscription to the CTC, a strange liking for terry wogan and a couple of suits (fat pin stripe city-gent is best) to wear when riding it.

Is a trilby optional?

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sorry for being dense, but how do I do that?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Click on my pretentious username and then send me an email (via the "Click to send an email" link). If you let me know your postal address, I will put the review in the mail.

Folders