Is what the LBS are suggesting necessary?

Jackus
Jackus Posts: 55
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
I have a Trek Pilot 1.0, and I've had it for about a year. I cycle 6 miles each day for school and back, and at the weekends (or sometimes in the evenings) I do some 15-30 mile cycles. I reckon I do about 40 miles a week, so roughly 2000 miles a year?

Anyway, I give my bike a good clean every month or so, and recently just picked every little bit of dirt out of the chain and cogs, and its all looking very nice.. But I needed some new cables for the brakes and gears which are all a bit stretched I think, and some new brake pads, so I thought I would take it to the LBS (where I bought it) for a check up..

Just got back and they told me the chain had stretched a bit, and that that had affected the front cogs and the back cogs (can you tell I'm not that great with the technical bits?). They said really they all needed replacing.. as if they just put a new chain on it wouldn't fit properly, and would jump and slip.. then they told me the rims had been worn away by the braking.. and he let me feel the rims, and there is a noticeable bit of wear on them, you can feel the bump..

Anyway, all in all he very roughly reckoned it might be a œ200 repair.. [:(] The bike only cost me œ530 or something! Is that right? Does all that stuff need doing? It goes along pretty smoothly, I thought just maybe the gears needed indexing or something.. Meh. And if it does, what can I do to stop it happening again? Seems pretty steep to me.

Thanks for reading my mammoth post
-Jack

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    If you've only done around 2k miles and you've been keeping it clean, I'd say they were talking bol*ocks. Why not stick a new chain on it and see how it works, if it's OK, no need for all that work.

I'd be very wary of <i>some</i> bike shops. My LBS told me that my œ500+ frame was goosed and that I should throw it away. Turns out they were talking out of a certain body hole!![}:)]

SNAPS
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    At 2k miles it is reasonable to have to replace the chain. If the drivetrain has been regularly cleaned/lubricated there will be no need to change the rear cogs (cassette) or the front cogs (chainring). If the chain has been neglected however, it is quite possible that it will have worn to the extent that it has taken the cassette and chainrings with it. If you can post some close-up pictures of the chainrings and cassette this would be helpful in seeing if this is the case.

If there is excessive wear on the wheel rims they will also need replacement.

œ200 for this work does seem a little much to me though. It depends on the quality of the parts he is replacing the worn components with.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• What EMD says.

Try and get a second opinion on the rim wear though: shouldn't really be knacked after that time/mileage, but a failure can be very nasty.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    I'd just buy the cables and get out.

Chain should not need replacing yet, and rins are probably fine. Everything has a bit of wear and tear, but there should be an awaful lot of life left in most of those parts, certainly the rims......

They just want your cash....

Can you name them please?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • JMag
    JMag Posts: 17
    I too am not very technical, but here goes:

As I understand it, the chain and the cogs wear together over time, and therefore a new chain on worn cogs can be problematic - as the LBS said, slipping, jumping etc. See this article on the Sheldon Brown site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

However, you could always try a new chain on the old cogs and see what happens. If its a problem, replace the sprockets.

As for the rims, there is not much you can do about that, aside from regularly cleaning the rims and picking any bits of metal or grit out of the brake pads to try and get more life out of them.
  • DTH
    DTH Posts: 303
    Do What Eat Mt Dust has said. Put on a new chain, and if it slips put a new cassette. That should be about it for 2k miles. Def not the front cog.

if it's not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
    if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
  • Jackus
    Thanks everyone. They have it at the moment to take a proper look and give me a quote.. but I think I will get it back from them once they have given me the quote and see what another bike shop says as well.. there is one just across the road. I'll also try and get some pictures of it. I'm just surprised that if its that worn it still seems to be going fine and smoothly. I haven't been meticulous with my cleaning all the time, but I have always kept it lubricated..

Cheers
    -Jack
  • Jackus
    Some more posts since I replied - thanks. They are Cycle-Ops in Tonbridge.. I have always thought they were quite good, but when they told me this I was a bit skeptical, hence putting it on here. Ok, trying a new chain seems to be a good compromise.

Cheers
    -Jack
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    If it feels fine and smooth, you vertainly don't need to replace the chain and cogs.

I've known them last for an awful lot more than 2000 miles

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    My sora geared 2nd bike has done around 4k miles and the only thing that has ever been replaced is the tyres, brakes and a couple of gear cables.

SNAPS
  • Jackus
    I'm slightly worried having read that Sheldon Brown article. How should I be cleaning the chain, cassette and chain ring? I haven't been taking it off of the bike to clean it like that site suggests - I don't even know how to take the chain off. I have always done my best to keep it clean and lubricated, but if I've been doing it wrong, as that site seems to be telling me, could that lead to the problems that the LBS suggests being true? But then like I said earlier, it does feel smooth enough.

Guess I just need to get a second opinion on it and maybe photos for here.
    -Jack
  • BoydJ
    BoydJ Posts: 33
    In my experience, a chain should be good for 1500 miles or so before the wear starts to affect the rear cogs. So, I'd replace the chain, and if you dont get any slippage, then the cassette should last as long as the second chain. If there is slippage, then replace the cassette. There should be no need for new chainrings after only 2k miles.

I'm also intrigued why you should feel the need to replace cables. If they are stretched a little and running out of adjustment, then just loosen them off, put the adjusters back to zero and re-tighten the cables. Squirting a bit of lubrication into the outers is a good idea too. Unless the cables are actually fraying where they enter the outers, there is no real need to replace them.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    On a year old bike with 2K miles a new chain wouldn't hurt (def. change it if it is stretched by over 1/16inch measured over 12 links).

Gear and brake cables shouldn't need replacing, just adjusting. Nothing else (apart from brake pads and tyre(s)) should be anywhere near worn out unless the bike has been very dirty and neglected.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    You get a little device to measure chain wear (cost about 6 or 7 quid). This kind of wear comes up much more quickly on MTB's, so on that bike I:

- change the chain when it gets to 0.75% stretch
    - change the cassette with every third change
    - maybe change the most used chain ring (middle on an MTB) at the same time

The equivalent on my road bike seems more like 1 chain a year - or about every 3000 miles.

To clean it, just wipe it fairly freqently (weekly ?) and re-lube (1 drop per roller round the chain). Then clean it more thoroughly occasionally (every month or two ?)
  • Jackus
    Ok. Is the cable adjusting/brake pad replacing something I should be able to do myself, or something I should try and get the LBS to do..?

All I can do at the moment is take the LBS's quote and have a look at the bike myself (measure) and try a second shop for a second opinion I think. Nothing more to do until then.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

EDIT: sloboy, I think the LBS had one of those measuring things. He put it in my chain and it had a bit of wiggle in it - you could move it backwards and forwards a little bit.
    -Jack
  • i want to know how you've worm out rims in 2000 miles.

i've got MTB rims that have seen at least treble that and they are fine, even with the kentish clay wearing them

Heard lots of good things about wildside over that way, if you need a second opinion

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • goo_mason
    goo_mason Posts: 148
    After a year and almost 2000 miles, I noticed the chainrings had worn quite a bit and were showing the classsic 'sharktooth'-shaped teeth. I put new cranks/chainrings on, plus a new chain. Only then did
    I find that the new chain kept slipping on the cassette, so I had to replace that too.

I'd kept the drive train well-lubed and cleaned once a week, so it hadn't been neglected.

What the shop says isn't unreasonable in my view.

Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
    Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    "Ok. Is the cable adjusting/brake pad replacing something I should be able to do myself, or something I should try and get the LBS to do..?"

It is well worth learning to do this yourself. There are plenty of guides of how to do this on the internet. Have a search for 'Park tools', their guides are very handy for bicycle maintainance. Another alternative is the Haynes manual for bikes, which you can pick up from Halfords.

• Jackus
    Thanks all. I think everything is saying I need a good second opinion really - I'm not sure about this other BS shop in Tonbridge, so yeah, I might check out Wild Side in Tunbridge Wells. I'm certainly inclined not to just accept what this first shop has said and have it done there.

Park Tool seems good. I will give it a try. I'm sure I'll **** it up at first but.. you learn through mistakes haha.

Cheers
    -Jack
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    sounds like b@ll@cks to me. if you didn't feel like there was a problem riding it before, and your gear changes were ok, i doubt there is all this wear and tear. i've gone further on my bike and i haven't had problems like that. get a new chain only first of all because it probably will be a little stretched and see how it runs before you commit to buying anything else.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    In an ideal world you would change these bits but sadly it costs you money, so my advice is adjust cables (easy) and carry on riding till it dont work.

I work hard because millions on benefits depend on me
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... 81/MTB.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    LBS's are fine and lovely... until they screw you.

It's a bit of a cathartic experience that take most people by surprise.

If the gears are changing OK then your chain/cogs don't need changing
    If the cables are stretched then you could tighten them up.
    I doubt if 2000 miles would see a lot of wear that would be outside the scope of a slight "tune-up"
    I've done a similar mileage on my Trek and apart from wheel true-ing (caused by a loose spoke) and a new tyre it only needed the gear cables adjusting.

<font size="1"><font color="blue">Whatever you ride - ride it with <i>style</i></font id="blue">

<font color="red"></font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><font color="blue">Whatever you ride - ride it with <i>style</i></font id="blue">

• Jackus
    The guy at the LBS I was speaking with was suggesting I should bring it in for a check up every 3 months, and then have a new chain put on, to stop what apparently happened here happening again. It's that really that is now screaming bull**** to me after what I've read here.. 4 new chains a year.. thats bollocks clearly. They haven't called me with their quote yet, so my plan is to call them tomorrow morning and ask for it, then tell them I'd like to have a second opinion. I'll take it to Wild Side and see what they say. Hopefully they will agree that it doesn't need all this doing to it.

Oh - and Overmars... that brings back memories.. we could do with him now.. haha.

Thanks for all the responses.
    -Jack
  • Profcp
    Profcp Posts: 1,311
    I think you're right Jackus - they are trying it on

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    They are trying it on.

If you are only using it for fitness then I wouldn't change any parts until they stop working or become a problem.

As long as it does everything OK, then leave it.

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • PaulSB
    PaulSB Posts: 821
    Jackus this LBS is taking you for a ride (sorry!). I'm not that mechanically minded and use a local LBS for all my maintenace. Your LBS is talking absolute B*llocks, I'd let them know they've been rumbled and you intend to let fellow riders know about it. Most cyclists are very loyal to the LBS and for one to try and take advantgae like this is deserving of bad publicity.

<font color="blue">~~~~~</font id="blue">
    www.brfcs.com - the fans choice since 1996
    <font color="red">Paul</font id="red">
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    I did 2000 miles a year for 3 years on a bottom of the range œ300 bike and wasn't looking after it at all before I had to change the cassette, chain and 2 out of 3 front cogs. I would be very surprised if it needs doing after a year when you are looking after it. If you aren't having problems shifting then leave it alone. Some LBS are just thieves

If you buy it, they will come...

...upto to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them, you should 'ave bought an elephant!!!
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    I think they are trying it on. Unless frayed, I wouldn't have thought the cables would need replaced, just adjusted.

I get about 10-12 months to a chain/cassette, but that includes Scottish winter and I'm not too good at cleaning. Chainrings last about 2 years (every second cassette change)

As to rims, again I wear out rims about every 10000 miles (maybe 2 years)

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • Jackus
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PaulSB</i>

Jackus this LBS is taking you for a ride (sorry!). I'm not that mechanically minded and use a local LBS for all my maintenace. Your LBS is talking absolute B*llocks, I'd let them know they've been rumbled and you intend to let fellow riders know about it. Most cyclists are very loyal to the LBS and for one to try and take advantgae like this is deserving of bad publicity.

<font color="blue">~~~~~</font id="blue">
    www.brfcs.com - the fans choice since 1996
    <font color="red">Paul</font id="red">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is pretty much what I feel. I have bought all my parts from there, got my maintenance done there and spent well over a grand on bikes from there, and I don't feel I've been treated properly. As someone else here recommended them, I will be checking out Wild Side.

Thanks all, I'll hopefully update tomorrow.
    -Jack