TT tomorrow - advice

Climber_Andy
Climber_Andy Posts: 852
OK, got a '10' tomorrow. Have spent the last two days drinking copious amounts of alcohol (reading week at uni), but have today and most of tomorrow for detox.

The TT (Yorkshire but flat) is 15 miles away, so I figure I can warm up on the way there. Haven't ridden the course so that might be a plan too? But how DO I warm up? Start of slow and gradually get faster till I'm up to virtual-TT pace?

And food-wise? TT is 7.15 sign-on, but to get there and ride the course, I'm looking at leaving at about 5.30-5.45? Porridge for breakfast, a snack, and lots of pasta at 4pm?

Comments

• Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    That sounds about the right sort of warm up, do the same for me club 10, will be stuffing myself about 3pm with pasta, read you should aim to eat 3-4 hours before an event

My warm up is the 13 mile ride to the start, try to build it up gradually, few short interval bursts as I get near just to get fully warmed up, energy gel, about half hour before start as well

Saying that I still get trashed by others, so what do I know, the alcohol fueled route may be the answer!!

You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Mark.Scp
    Mark.Scp Posts: 514
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Climber_Andy</i>

OK, got a '10' tomorrow. Have spent the last two days drinking copious amounts of alcohol (reading week at uni), but have today and most of tomorrow for detox.

The TT (Yorkshire but flat) is 15 miles away, so I figure I can warm up on the way there. Haven't ridden the course so that might be a plan too? But how DO I warm up? Start of slow and gradually get faster till I'm up to virtual-TT pace?

And food-wise? TT is 7.15 sign-on, but to get there and ride the course, I'm looking at leaving at about 5.30-5.45? Porridge for breakfast, a snack, and lots of pasta at 4pm?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I just warm up for about 10-20 mins, soing some short bursts of tt pace efforts... with regards to local tt's i don't eat anything special, not take gels/bars, just rely on what i have xD

good luck

Mark

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

• simmocp
    simmocp Posts: 203
    I think it is a bit pointless getting up to race pace on the ride out since you'll want to get there at least 30mins before the start so you'll just end up tired. I'd ride out steadily and then do a quicker warm up for the last 20mins before the start, after you've signed on.
    As for all the pasta, don't eat more than noraml or you'll just feel sick. It's only 10 miles, you don't need to 'fuel' for it. I'd rather start feeling a bit empty than a bit full otherwise that pasta will be all over the road after 2 miles.

simmo
    simmo
  • Climber_Andy
    OK, good point, I'll keep it steady. Though I'm not one to be sick from exhaustion/over-exertion/over-eating - in fact, it's never happened. Yet...

Good advice, I'll not do anything mad on the way over there, but crank it up in the last 20-30 mins a bit. Drank loads of water yesterday, feeling 95%. Wind is 9-12mph which isn't great frankly but meh...
  • simmocp
    simmocp Posts: 203
    Good luck, and lets hear how you get on.

simmo
    simmo
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    I've found that the more warm up you can do, the better, preferably about 45-50 minutes. I try to do 3x3minutes at race pace, but most of the warm up is zone 2 (about 70-75% of max heart rate).

Don't arrive at the start line too early - no point spending loads of time standing around waiting (but keep an eye on your watch to make sure you don't miss your slot - if you start late, the delay is added onto your time).

Have an energy drink about an hour before the event, and a recovery drink such as Rego afterwards.

When riding the event, don't go balls-out straight away but spend the first mile building up pace.

Good luck and give it everything you've got.

• Climber_Andy
    J2R2, basically broke everything you said...

-15 mile ride there, comfortable.
    -Reccied the course. Got lost (some clown messed with a sign). Had warmed up too fast anyway, but got there with 10 mins to spare.
    -Went on water; don't have energy or recovery drink.
    -Started fast-ish (22mph), tried to hold 21 mph all the way.

VERY painful, as it should be. I think I was just outside 29 minutes, which is annoying, but can't be sure. Pretty pleased with that though, and Clifton CC people were very friendly.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    Good start, are you hooked now? Better to get lost on the recce than during the TT. Taking it a bit easier for the first mile or so makes quite a difference (well it does for me). First few I did I was quite wound up before the start so I couldn't help going off really fast, halfway through I'd be red-faced and panting, with a really painful stitch. Now my pacing is a bit better I can ride most of it looking pretty composed (and go quicker to boot)