Thule Cycle Carrier

Bellboy
Bellboy Posts: 29
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I have just fitted two Thule ProRider cycle carriers to my roof bars.
I did not find that "Handing" the second carrier, to allow loading on each side, was as simple as on the instruction sheet. (Is there not another Swedish manufacturer who issues vague instructions?)
The result seems clumsy. Have I fitted it wrong, or should I settle for one bike facing forward and one facing back?

Regards
David
Regards
David

Comments

• TrekVetcp
    TrekVetcp Posts: 248
    It seems the Sweds are not as infallible in such matters as first appears, ie. their Thule high level (on the tailgate) two bike carrier collasped a while back. We had our road bikes on it and when I opened the tailgate the whole lot folded forward, squashing the two bikes together. I had used it many times with no problems, and that is where the fault may lie, as it seems the plastic C clips don`t grip the uprights tight enough. Well, they do now as I drilled through the clips and uprights and have fitted push-fit split-pins. I can supply photos if you want to fix yours.

--
    Q. How do you find your Speedplay pedals?
    A. Easy, I keep them at the ends of my cranks.
    --
  • jphil
    jphil Posts: 74
    Having fitted the 591 about a year ago and left them on the car permanently with 2 bikes, one faces forward the other backwards. Feel free to post further questions the bikes are pretty secure when travelling.

J Phillips
    J Phillips
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    One forward and one back.

We have 4 carriers on our car, so have the bikes alternated, forwards/backwards/forwards/backwards/forwards. It's actually good as it means you are always using the same combination of hands etc. to put the bikes up, whichever side of the car you are on.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Bellboy
    >"It seems the Swedes are not as infallible in such matters as first appears"<

Yes, some things are uncannily well tailored, and others skated over.
    The "no text" instructions were particularly annoying - Differing procedures for square and aero bars were not sufficiently flagged and changing LH to RH required a bit of experiment as it was not made clear that the mounting arm could be swung through 180degrees.
    The outcome is that the main block is bolted from the back,does not look properly fixed and makes me wonder if I have done something wrong?
    If not, at this price, I think Thule should be supplying right and left hand units.

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David
  • My Thule ProRiders 'handed' OK - both bikes point forward with the locking handles facing outwards.

I looked at them this afternoon with a sense of pride that it finally came right. I do remember a frustrating and lengthy assembly tho'
  • Bellboy
    >My Thule ProRiders 'handed' OK<

Aero or square bars?

I think my problem would only occur with the aero bars as they bolt straight through.
    The stirrup that is used with square bars would centre the main block.

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David
  • More complicated than I thought - my bars are square.
  • Bellboy
    J Phillips
    >the bikes are pretty secure when travelling.<
    I have now "re- handed" one carrier and will have one bike facing forward the other backwards. Am a lot happier with this setup.
    Have mounted bikes, but not travelled. They seem a bit shoogly. Have you ever felt a need for brace between bikes?

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    They do wobble about a bit, but this is fine. As long as you have them right in the middle of the claws, there's no way they'll come off.

• Bellboy
    Luggage strap between two top tubes would help to keep bikes from moving and would give extra support when cornering?

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David
  • TrekVetcp
    TrekVetcp Posts: 248
    I have seen these bikes wavering about on the racks. Perhaps if mine were on the roof I would put a strap between the seat-tube and/or head-tube of one bike and the rack/BB of other bike. Like cross-bracing. That way neither bike can move sideways, whereas a strap between the two top tubes means if one bike moves then the other will too. Are you sure you can`t fit them inside, otherwise all this is going to take you ages and end up looking like the Forth Bridge [8D]

--
    --
  • Bellboy
    <i>Originally posted by TrekVet</i>

whereas a strap between the two top tubes means if one bike moves then the other will too. [8D]

Not really. A tight/elastic strap would hold both bikes against the claws of the holding arm.

You realise that, at the moment, this is all theory.

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David