Advice Needed For A New Cycling Computer

Dearo
Dearo Posts: 58
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Yes me again, hunting for more advice [:I] and only one week into my new hobby [}:)]

I would like to fit a cycling computer to my bike, budget is approx. œ60 (ish)

What are your recommendations ??

Wireless or not ??

Regards

Dearo
Dearo

Comments

• stretching the budget a bit but you might get lucky with an Ebay bid on a garmin edge 205 GPS unit. i got one for just over œ70 (retail is œ169!) i have looked at the items the seller i used had sold in the past and the lowest sale was œ60. this seller is registered in USA but ships from Nottingham and seems to sell tons of these units everyday!

Wot, get up early and ride to work.... are you mad?
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    Personally, I'd spend œ20 on a wired computer with cadence (e.g. cateye astrale) and use the rest of the money for something else (like a nice track pump).

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Dearo
    Wow !!

Does the Garmin Unit Pedal For You As Well ???

Dearo
    Dearo
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Unless you're willing to fork out for a gps or power output enabled computer then i don't see any reason to spend more than about œ20. In which case i would also suggest the Cateye astrale 8.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• Dearo
    Valued point !

Cheers Gary

Dearo
    Dearo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i got a blackburn delphi 4.0 and i highly recommend it, i got mine off ebay for around œ20 so it wasnt too expensive!

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Wireless can be a pain in the a***. Extra battery to go flat, interference from power lines, sensors in the road, mobile phone masts and other cyclist's sensors.

I'm not interested in cadence, I can see when my legs aren't moving quick enough. So I just go for the Cateye Velo 8. Simple, does everything I need (although the Calorie counting is rubbish) and you can get it for about œ10 on ebay.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I love the spec for Velo on wiggle "Speed display up to 185 MPH" If only!
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    I have the Cateye Astrale 8 (in fact one on each bike) and I definitely recommend it. The cadence function is invaluable.

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hiya, I got a blackburn delphi 2.0 - œ20 from Edinburgh Bikes. I like it but I wish I'd gone for one with Cadence function as many of the training plans I look at tell me to train at particular cadences. I'm almost three months into cycling but I'm consumed by it and want to know and record all the details of my rides. I'm already thinking of upgrading my computer at some point in the future.
    Good luck choosing.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony666</i>

I love the spec for Velo on wiggle "Speed display up to 185 MPH" If only!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

makes more sense when you consider that you can pass an MOT test with one fitted to a motorbike though..

I have seen a couple of craash-damaged bikes rebuilt, usually with fairings removed and re-done in a 'street fighter' style of bike - with a bike computer to act as the speedo. OE manufacturers speedos are prone to being smashed to bits in even a light 'off' and cost 3, 4 or 500 quid to replace!
  • Garybee
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by popette</i>

Hiya, I got a blackburn delphi 2.0 - œ20 from Edinburgh Bikes. I like it but I wish I'd gone for one with Cadence function as many of the training plans I look at tell me to train at particular cadences. I'm almost three months into cycling but I'm consumed by it and want to know and record all the details of my rides. I'm already thinking of upgrading my computer at some point in the future.
    Good luck choosing.

If you're a data freak you'd love the garmin edge 305. After a ride you can download your route and view your cadence, speed, heart rate, height, gradient for the entire ride. There's loads of other data on there as well, whether or not it is useful to know is a different matter.

• popette
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garybee</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by popette</i>

Good luck choosing.

If you're a data freak you'd love the garmin edge 305. After a ride you can download your route and view your cadence, speed, heart rate, height, gradient for the entire ride. There's loads of other data on there as well, whether or not it is useful to know is a different matter.

gimme gimme gimme
  • popette
    just checked the price of the garmin - I think I'd better start saving :-(
  • Dearo
    Yes nice bit of kit popette, I must admit, but would you use all the functions ??

Dearo
    Dearo
  • Garybee
    I find the navigation is a useful feature as you can preplan your route and just follow a black line on the map page. This is great for training as you can find varied routes without stopping to look at maps, helps to keep the ride 'flowing'. The use of the rest of it is debateable, it would be quite easy to ride into a ditch at the side of the road because you were lookingat all the information on your computer. Not that i would know of anybody who's done that of course.

• Dearo
    Gary,

Do you preplan the route on your PC and then down load onto Garmin ??

What if you take a wrong turn does it re-calculate ??

Please excuse my ignorance !

Dearo
    Dearo
  • Garybee
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dearo</i>

Gary,

Do you preplan the route on your PC and then down load onto Garmin ??

What if you take a wrong turn does it re-calculate ??

Please excuse my ignorance !

Dearo

Yes, the route needs to be preplanned as it works by displaying a 'track' on the map screen. It is only the most basic of maps though as it is just a track on a blank page, although you can zoom in or out as much as you like near junctions.

You can either leave the unit on the 'map' page and just follow the black line. Or on the compass page a pointer will just point towards your next waypoint. I find it easiest to just skip to the map page when i am approaching a junction i am unsure of, it is easy enough to work out which road to take as the map aligns itself with your direction of travel.

In case you want this feature (the really useful one) and are not really interested in the others you can buy GPS units that can do this for much less than the edge 305. For navigation these units are actually better as you can download road maps which will make it easier.

I think the edge 305 is well worth the money however, especially with H/R and cadence sensors, and would happily buy another one tomorrow if i broke it.

• Dearo
    Do many riders use the Heart Rate Monitor ????

Dearo
    Dearo
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Dearo,

Take a look at the updated pictures at the link, now YOU have my bike LOL ;0) the 'puter on the stem is a Polar CAD 200 CS, it has cadence facility, is wireless and will store data which allows you to track your progress, you can download/upload, search on google and you'll pick one up fotr œ70 worth every penny.

Have you been out for a spin yet?

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

• Dearo
    Thanks Chris !

No I haven't taken her out for a spin yet, call me a tart, but I didn't want to get her wet !

To be honest I'm still waiting for some new cleats to arrive, so hopefully Saturday will be the day, so stay clear of the Windsor area (sight for sore eyes), you have been warned !!!

Dearo
    Dearo
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Martin,
    You should have said, I've get a brand new still in their packing, pair of Red Deltas, which are no use to me as my new bike (which I collect tomorrow) is having Keo Sprints which have a slightly different cleat.

Don't blame you for not wanting to get her wet, she wouldn't like it, not one little bit!

Ride report expected tho' soon as!

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

• Dearo
    D'oh !

Went for a quick spin round the block today ! Only seven miles in 30 mins. Not the quickest, but was really just going up and down the gears and getting used to clipping in & out !

First time I have used clipless pedals, what an experience, but didn't fall off though (Just)

Got real bad cramp in my feet (new shoes / clips not in correct position ???).

Dearo
    Dearo
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WindyRob</i>

stretching the budget a bit but you might get lucky with an Ebay bid on a garmin edge 205 GPS unit. i got one for just over œ70 (retail is œ169!) i have looked at the items the seller i used had sold in the past and the lowest sale was œ60. this seller is registered in USA but ships from Nottingham and seems to sell tons of these units everyday!

Wot, get up early and ride to work.... are you mad?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hi, did it really ship from Nottingham? I've been looking at the same dealer on ebay, and I wasn't sure if it was actually shipping from the UK or the US. I didn't want to risk being hit with import duty. Also, are these UK or US models? Any problems?

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.