Shimano Tiagra - Dura Ace

walkercp
walkercp Posts: 1,012
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Is it possible to swap a Tiagra 9spd chain and cassette to a Dura ace 9spd chain and cassette? would there be complications even on a full 9spd Swap?

Rhino's are the new Elephant
Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Why would you want to [?]

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • walkercp
    To add better components to the bike, and my chain is already worn

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Righto then, but are you dead set on a Dura-Ace rig or would you consider Ultegra? I've got Ultegra on #2 bike and full Dura-Ace on #1 bike and it is hard to notice a difference. Still, with the jump from Tiagra to Dura-Ace I imagine that things will improve markedly.
    Are you going to upgrade the front derailleur as well?

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Wouldn't bother with Dura-Ace. Yes, the cassette is light, but you won't notice the difference on an otherwise Tiagra-equipped bike. Ultegra is as good as can be justified. And KMC chains are to be preferred to Dura-Ace.
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    The short answer is that there are no problems with compatability
  • walkercp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by McBain_v1</i>

Righto then, but are you dead set on a Dura-Ace rig or would you consider Ultegra? I've got Ultegra on #2 bike and full Dura-Ace on #1 bike and it is hard to notice a difference. Still, with the jump from Tiagra to Dura-Ace I imagine that things will improve markedly.
    Are you going to upgrade the front derailleur as well?

<font size="1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Mcbain, I'm not looking to upgrade to a 10 spd and as far as I know Ultegra only comes in a 10spd, and beside's the bike is about to be demoted to a commuter/winter bike but it is in need of repair after doing 10k hard miles I was thinking for an extra œ5 I might as well upgrade to a Dura ace Chain and Cassette on the 9spd. Will this still work even on the tiagra?

• msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    if the bike is going to be demoted don't waste money on dura ace - get a tiagra cassete and a kmc or wipperman chain
  • walkercp
    Ture but if I can afford to get better parts for it the I assume it is ok to get them?

• msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    there shouldn't be any compatiility issues if you are determined to have a da cassette and chain - it's your money! given that the levers are tiagrs i doubt that you will notice any difference

personally i would put my cash towards a kmc or wipperman chain which is easier to split and try to find the hardest wearing 9 speed cassette