Help Needed Please!!

tomo245149
tomo245149 Posts: 3
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I'm fairly new to long distance cycling and have set out to do my first ride i'm aiming on cycling the whole south coast more than likely starting at brighton as i have friends there and want to cycle an average of 20 miles a day to next town / village and b&b overnight and then of again aiming to reach lands end at the end
not to fussed about how long it takes ive briefly work some of it out and think it will take about 2 and half weeks if i only do 20 miles a day has anyone done this route or is there any good websites that highlight this route want to be fully prepared for this journey
as have always want to do this

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    20 miles?

That is just a morning or afternoon.

I'd aim for more miles per day, 30-35, then if you want to spend an extra day somewhere you can.

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    20 miles does seem pretty short. Once you're into it you can manage that in a couple of hours easily.

Realistically I guess you'd be able to easily aim at 20 miles am, a nice leisurely break in a pub, and then another 20 in the afternoon.

• tomo245149
    tomo245149 Posts: 3
    yeah maybe i did set my 20 mile aim to low but wanted to make sure i reach each stop within goodtime to bed up, look around and eat as i still have no info on roads and routes would like to stick tight to the coast when cycling

still need route finding help please?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I did the South Downs Way, off road, 35 miles a day.

Ok it was organised, but we arrived in good time to get sorted.

As has been said, if you aim for 20 miles in the morning and 20 in the afternoon as a rule of thumb, then you'll be fine.

Also, you'll see progress on the map every day, otherwise the lack of progress becomes depressing

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I walked Hadrians wall a couple of years ago and managed 20 miles a day.

If you're up at a sensible time and out of the B&B by say 9am, a gentle pootle to lunch will cover 30 miles. A generous lunch break and another 30 in the afternoon is more realistic.

Josie Dew did a coastal lap of the British mainland and wrote a book called Slow Coast Home. Have a look through that for some route inspiration.