deciding on UK tour

jrendo
jrendo Posts: 2
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

I've recently moved to London from the states and want to do a short, maybe 3 or 4 day tour in early June. Any advice on rides? I've been thinking about the C2C--which seems to be the most popular, but I'm definitely open to other ideas. I'm willing to travel from London, actually looking forward to getting out of the city, so don't feel like suggestions need to be London-centric. Also, I've been mostly considering the NCN routes. Any thoughts on how good these routes are, how well marked, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• For C2C get train to Carlisle then to Workington or Whitehaven. At end of trip get train home from Newcastle.

It's a good 3/4 day trip. Good scenery, friendly locals, lots of hills, quiet roads and paths and nice pubs. There are variations of the route, some quite rough, not ideal for your best road bike. Check it out at:

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jrendo</i>

Hello,

I've recently moved to London from the states and want to do a short, maybe 3 or 4 day tour in early June. Any advice on rides? I've been thinking about the C2C--which seems to be the most popular, but I'm definitely open to other ideas. I'm willing to travel from London, actually looking forward to getting out of the city, so don't feel like suggestions need to be London-centric. Also, I've been mostly considering the NCN routes. Any thoughts on how good these routes are, how well marked, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hadrian's Cycle Route is nicer and easier on the legs. There's the bustle of Newcasles quayside, the urban regeneration taking place along the banks of the River Tyne, exquisite rural roads. Cosy hamlets, roman villas, a bit of Hadrian's Wall itself. An amazing bakery in Corbridge. Only one steep hill.

Alternatively there's also the Walney to Wear route which takes in England's highest pub at Tan Hill. There's a wonderful delicatessen at Orton along with a chocolate factory.

I reckon the above two routes are less well known - Hadrians Cycle Route officially opened last year and Walney to Wear opened the year before last. Both routes are well marked but it is useful to have the relevant Sustrans map with you.

Good luck and enjoy your tour.
  • PaulSB
    PaulSB Posts: 821
    You could try a section of the Pennine Cycleway which I found more enjoyable than the C2C. http://www.cycle-routes.org/penninecycleway/ and here is a very good guide to the C2C http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

A lot depends on your own abilities and what you want to achieve. For me the C2C is a two day ride but I just ride and don't do any touristy stuff. If I had four days to ride I'd do the Pennine Cycleway from around Kendal to Berwick. The northern section is far better than the southern half.

<font color="blue">~~~~~</font id="blue">
    www.brfcs.com - the fans choice since 1996
    <font color="red">Paul</font id="red">
  • gordycp
    gordycp Posts: 2,341
    I'd get the sleeper train from London to Fort William and head out to the west coast of Scotland.