Roof carriers and carbon frames

monkeythree
monkeythree Posts: 10
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I have an Atera Giro carrier system for the roof of my car and have a need to put my Giant TCR composite up there for a long journey and I'm concerned about how tight to clamp onto the down tube. Could I overdo it and crush the frame? If I follow the instructions (which involves aligning an arrow on the lever with another on the carrier arm) am I gauranteed not to do any damage?

Aeronoses rule...
Aeronoses rule...

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Tighten the clamp until you hear a 'crack' and back it off slightly! Clamping carbon tubes is not a good idea - better off with a front fork mount
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Tighten the clamp until you hear a 'crack' and back it off slightly! Clamping carbon tubes is not a good idea - better off with a front fork mount
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not so good either. I think Thule are advising against using the fork-clamp types for carbon forks.

<font size="1">"Hincapie's Disco pants are the best,
    They go from his arse to his chest,
    They're better than 'Sandro Ballans.
    Hincapie's Disco pants"</font id="size1">
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Stu247
    Stu247 Posts: 53
    I use the same carriers, the down tube clamp does not need to be that tight to hold the bike in place.
    The wheel clamps stop the bike from moving, the down tube clamp just keeps the bike upright !

Carbon frames...on the wHOLE, they're very good!
  • monkeythree
    monkeythree Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice. I'll err on the side of caution and clamp as lightly as I dare. I've not lost a bike off the roof yet but I know of others who have!

Aeronoses rule...
    Aeronoses rule...
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I have the Thule downtube roof bars too - though I only use them for the MTBs - Had an internal fork-clamp that got used once - bikes now lie-down in the boot of the car separated by cardbord removal box sides, which seems the lesser of the 3 evils.

You could always put some webbing strap around the down-tube, and pass it through the back of the clamp - this would make it more difficult for the bike to work loose.

B&Q had some short webbing straps with plastic clamps sewn on that seem pretty good - I just bought a length of soft cotton webbing strapping from the haberdashery at John Lewis..... Tends to get used for transporting timber!