Fulcrum Racing Zeros'

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I am thinking about changing my wheels from Bontrager Race Lite to a pair of Fulcrum Racing Zeros (partly because they add bling) but mainly too save weight and give me a little more speed.

Has anyone any experience of these wheels and their reliability ??

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    jashburnham is the man you need to be talking to gadget. he has a pair of these blingin' hoops.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    won't give you any more speed and only a few grams lighter, Availability may be a problem as there are many retailers waiting for stock
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    They are fantastic wheels, stiff as hell, light and fast. They also weigh 275 grams less than the Bontragers so quite a significant weight saving there as well. They have bladed aero spokes as well so may well give you a tiny bit more speed. I'm a big fan of Fulcrum wheels, have 3 pairs and no problems at all. Try buying from Comobike in Italy as you'll save money and their service is excellent.

My Best Bike
  • They sound pretty good but apart from the bling factor I am aiming to get more speed and thought as most time is spent climbing or on the flat saving wieght would give me more speed.

Apart from getting fitter and stronger, which I am working on, I understood saving eight on wheels was a good way of getting mor speed. If not what other options are there for improving my bike (Trek Madone 5.2 SL).
  • Down the Road
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gadget_333</i>

They sound pretty good but apart from the bling factor I am aiming to get more speed and thought as most time is spent climbing or on the flat saving wieght would give me more speed.

Apart from getting fitter and stronger, which I am working on, I understood saving eight on wheels was a good way of getting mor speed. If not what other options are there for improving my bike (Trek Madone 5.2 SL).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For more speed at a reasonalbe cost strap on the Race x-lite Aero from Bontrager. You are already on a tour winning frame so there's not much more to worry about.

Weight will only make you faster on steep hills (7% for more than 2 miles)

Seriously look at the X-lite Aero or Cosmic Carbone from Mavic.

Talk to your local bike shop they can help.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gadget_333</i>

They sound pretty good but apart from the bling factor I am aiming to get more speed and thought as most time is spent climbing or on the flat saving wieght would give me more speed.

For more speed at a reasonalbe cost strap on the Race x-lite Aero from Bontrager. You are already on a tour winning frame so there's not much more to worry about.

<b>Weight will only make you faster on steep hills (7% for more than 2 miles) </b>

I'm afraid that's rubbish. Yes, the steeper and or longer the climb the more of a difference you will get, logically, but to suggest that the laws of physics mysteriously change after 2 miles and only on a gradient steeper than 7% is just untrue and misleading. for exapmple there is a climb on my way home thats a shade under a mile long with an average gradient of about 5% which i do about 20 seconds faster on weekends when i haven't got my backpack on (about 4 - 5 kg. the bottom line is that saving weight, especially rotating mass, will let you climb quicker for the same power output.

on the wheels front for that kind of money, if you can, try out some Rolf Prima Elan Aeros i've ordered the RS version (1360g/pair incl skewers) and boy do you notice the difference when going uphill or accelerating

pm
    pm
  • Down the Road
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by portuguese mike</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

<b>Weight will only make you faster on steep hills (7% for more than 2 miles) </b>

I'm afraid that's rubbish. Yes, the steeper and or longer the climb the more of a difference you will get, logically, but to suggest that the laws of physics mysteriously change after 2 miles and only on a gradient steeper than 7% is just untrue and misleading. for exapmple there is a climb on my way home thats a shade under a mile long with an average gradient of about 5% which i do about 20 seconds faster on weekends when i haven't got my backpack on (about 4 - 5 kg. the bottom line is that saving weight, especially rotating mass, will let you climb quicker for the same power output.

on the wheels front for that kind of money, if you can, try out some Rolf Prima Elan Aeros i've ordered the RS version (1360g/pair incl skewers) and boy do you notice the difference when going uphill or accelerating

pm

5 kg is about a 6% difference in weight. Not a couple of hundred gramms.

Check out the wheels in use in the giro You will see on most days in the mountains riders using Cosmics or other deep wheels. Only on the long mountains are thoughts turned to lowering rotating mass.

PS if you want the references on the research into wheels I have them.
  • Point taken down the road, i'd still take lighter wheels if i had the choice though even if just makes me feel faster.

and i would be quite interested in those references,

thanks

mike

pm
    pm
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    If it's lighter speedy wheels that everyone is craving, why aren't you all after those carbon fiber Zipp wheels with the dimply rim surface to reduce friction even further. Only œ1,000 a pair, one of the lads here at the office has a set (granted, he's the Chairman's son, but that shouldn't stop you!)

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • jdv
    jdv Posts: 833
    The Racing Zeros look nice and are made well but are substantially over their specified weight. (I know, I bought a pair and then had the shop weigh all their pairs). Expect them to be close to 1500g.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    I think you'll find ProTour riders are racing the new all-carbon Cosmics and not the hefty version with the stick-on plastic fairings that weight close to 2kg a pair. Wheel weight does make a significant difference, but they have to be stiff too. For the price of the Racing 1's you should also consider a pair of Planet-X Carbons, which have the benefit of deep carbon rims and will be perceptably faster in excess of 50kph.
  • With Comobike how does insurance work for shipping, is it included ?
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    don't forget comobike don't include vat (add another 20% iirc). You'll find jedi cheaper (at least they were last week when I ordered mine....)
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    I'd stay clear of the P-x's. not as well built as fulcrums or mavics IME, and you're either going tub or carbon clincher. in both cases there serious braking issues.

that said, the F1s are a bit questionable for the money. The look great and have great hubs and will be solid, but they are certainly not aerodynamic. Cosmic Carbones are a good suggestion (real weight is under 1800g for clincher version), very stiff and reliable. Depends on what kind of riding you want them for.