Parking in Mandatory Cycle Lanes

Pringlecp
Pringlecp Posts: 771
edited May 2007 in Campaign
Hi All
Interesting debate here re mandatory cycle lanes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKKy6-lnfhs#agTgoHREweE

What are the rules with "waiting", as opposed to "parking" in a mandatory lane?
I can understand loading or unloading (where there are no other restrictions), but can you pull over and stop in a mandatory cycle lane to make or receive a phone call? If so, could I pull my car over into a bus lane and stop because the phone rings and claim that I wasn't parking but waiting?

Another year older, another Budweiser

Comments

• zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    Can't you just cycle round him and not worry about it?

It's simple, you look over your shoulder, move out into a gap, and pass the car.

I know we're supposed to fight our corner or whatever, but at least they have pulled over to make their call, rather than knocking a cyclist off somewhere else whilst on the phone.

Cyclists can be sanctimonious buggers sometimes

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Pringlecp
    Pringlecp Posts: 771
    I Agree ZimZum - I was more interested in the general debate re parking and pulling over etc

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If everyone parked in cycle lanes, there would be less pressure on cyclists to use them.
    Turn them into car parking facilities and then we can get on with riding our road bikes on the road, where they should be![}:)][;)]

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Just get rid of the cycle-lanes and use the whole road.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Anyone else notice that the pillock was also on the verge - another offence?

Never mind though - any phone call is more important than safety.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pringle</i>

but can you pull over and stop in a mandatory cycle lane to make or receive a phone call?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    just don't answer it. Call them back later.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    There's no such thing as a mandatory cycle lane.
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pringle</i>

but can you pull over and stop in a mandatory cycle lane to make or receive a phone call?
    Well what if it might be important?!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

Can't you just cycle round him and not worry about it?

It's simple, you look over your shoulder, move out into a gap, and pass the car.

I know we're supposed to fight our corner or whatever, but at least they have pulled over to make their call, rather than knocking a cyclist off somewhere else whilst on the phone.

Cyclists can be sanctimonious buggers sometimes

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
    Totally. They want the world on a coc<i></i>king stick with cream on.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on the road</i>

There's no such thing as a mandatory cycle lane.

There is. It's one that you're not allowed to drive (or park a motor vehicle) in. Doesn't mean that cyclists have to use it.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

Well what if it might be important?!
    oh, dear, oh, dear, oh dear!
    If it's important they'll get back to you!!!
    What on earth did people do to make themselves feel important before mobile phones?