quirky gear hanger - how on earth??

boly
boly Posts: 71
edited June 2007 in Road general
Can anybody help me with ways in which I can fit a rear mech to this http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Boly/DSC00748.jpg gear hanger please. All my other bikes ( and any that I've seen), have had a cut out to take the adjusting anvil allowing the screw which raises the height of the jockey wheels to operate? I'd rather not hack the frame around if I can avoid it and I presume removing the anvil from the mech would allow it to unscrew. Someone suggested that I fit a detachable gear hanger from the dropout, but the original intergral one is cast at an angle making this almost impossible? I'm wondering whther only something like a benelux might fit. Any suggestions most welcome. I hope I've explained this clearly, having reread it I have my doubts....

Comments

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    It's a Simplex drop-out and was made to work with Simplex derailleurs (Huret also had their own drop-out style whilst the rest of the world went with Campag as the default).

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    That's a Simplex dropout, you can see "Simplex" stamped between the ends of the stays. I'm not 100% but I think Simplex rear mechs had a different arrangement compared with Campag, Simplex rear mechs had a strung top pivot and the angle of the main body varied according to the gear ratio used, whereas Campag ones had a fixed angle.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • Gavin Gilbert
    You may also want to check that the threads on the mounting hole are able to take modern derailleurs bolt - most Simplex drop-outs were made without a thread - it could well be a funny French threaded job.

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
  • boly
    Thanks Gavin/Tom. Do'h,I've been sitting looking at that Simplex stamp and not a single braincell fired! I imagine that's also why the braze ons for downtube shifters wont take any of my Suntour/Campag levers.I need a simplex oneª! If I cant track down a simplex rear mech and if the thread will take a "modern" derailler, is there a way in which I can fit it or am I condemned to trawl E Bay into my twilight years?
  • Gavin Gilbert
    You could always run it fixed [:D]

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Although they may think it sacrilegious and threaten to burn you at the stake for some of the heretical suggestions.....

Try some of the retro bike forums or the CTC for advice.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    boly . there has been alot of Simplex stuff for sale on the bay , over the last week or so . I do not think you will have much trouble finding bits . Ps what frame is it ? it looks like it has pencil rear stays .http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... mit=Search

bagpuss
    bagpuss
  • boly
    Think I'll try for some Simplex bits - maybe theres more on the French E Bay? Re your question Bagpuss, its that 53 Claud Butler New Allrounder - thats why I'm surprised that it has been made with Simplex drop outs/hanger etc? Thanks again to all for the info. NB I fell off a fixie in 1964 Gavin, I'm still recovering from the trauma - Not sure being cool and 58 is compatible ;)
    NB Just trawled the Vet/Vin bike forum - early 50's NOS Simplex circa œ1000 - maybe I'll attack the hanger with a dremel and fit a 105 after all!
  • "Not sure being cool and 58 is compatible ;)"

I damn well hope that it IS!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • boly
    Hang onto that dream Dave. My kids suggested cleats on my slippers, how cool's that....
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    I have a 1961/2 Delrin Simplex mech in good order (no badge) you can have for a fiver including post. Not sure about the thread issue. As Gavin says Huret used there own (bloody french) and the rest of the world went Campag.
  • boly
    Thanks Dickie, yes please, thanks very much. I've e mailed you direct Bob
  • Dickie
    I will have to dig it out which may take some time. It is yours for sure though, I got your mail.
  • Dickie
    Hi Bob I've not forgotten you!
  • boly
    No worries Dickie, I have a shedfull of partial rebuilds all requiring my urgent attention, theres barely time to sit in sun and drink beer. BTW - the hanger seems to have a standard British thread - seems a bit daft dont it? - if it's built to take Simplex rear mech with ( presumably ) a French thread??
  • Dickie
    Campag drop outs have a 10mm x 1mm thread if thats any help. Simple to check with a thread gauge and you can measure the core diameter with a vernier.