It's gone too far

mr_hippo
mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
edited May 2007 in Campaign
Australian pub bars heterosexuals - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 697469.stm

I don't care if you are heterosexual, homosexual. asexual, bi-sexual or even tri-sexual. Adam & Eve cannot drink in the Peel Hotel in Melbourne but Adam & Steve can drink anywhere they choose.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 26/27 May: Update published: Monday 28 May

Comments

• Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    Hotel Manager Mr McFeely [:D][:D]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">More tea, vicar?</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    On principal it seems a bit unfair but in fact, if groups of people are coming in and taking the pi$$ of the regular clientele then I kind of agree with it.

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • zoidburgcp
    zoidburgcp Posts: 1,519
    I find it rather disturbing that you are familiar with the right wing christian term- "Adam and Steve"

They have barred hetrosexuals because hen nights are making them feel like a circus attraction, not because they dislike hetrosexual men, which is what you are thinking...or afraid of perhaps

"Excuse me,waiter...could you tell me if this is tuna friendly dolphin?"
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    then shouldn't they ban them on the terms of them being part of a stag/hen party rather than their sexuality? and why dump all hen parties under the same stereotype?

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • mr_hippo
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zoidburg</i>

I find it rather disturbing that you are familiar with the right wing christian term- "Adam and Steve"

<b><font color="red">Why do you find it disturbing? Am I supposed to walk around blinkered and not know such terms? Why do you think I used that expression?</font id="red"></b>

They have barred heterosexuals because <b>hen nights</b> are making them feel like a circus attraction, not because they dislike <b>heterosexual men</b>, which is what you are thinking...or afraid of perhaps

<b><font color="red">I see no reference to 'a circus attraction', do you? It may come as a big surprise but hen nights are for women and not men! What did I say in my first sentence of the OP? I don't care what a person is.</font id="red"></b>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

• zoidburgcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zoidburg</i>

<b><font color="red">Why do you find it disturbing? Am I supposed to walk around blinkered and not know such terms? Why do you think I used that expression?</font id="red"></b>

They have barred heterosexuals because <b>hen nights</b> are making them feel like a circus attraction, not because they dislike <b>heterosexual men</b>, which is what you are thinking...or afraid of perhaps

<b><font color="red">I see no reference to 'a circus attraction', do you? It may come as a big surprise but hen nights are for women and not men! What did I say in my first sentence of the OP? I don't care what a person is.</font id="red"></b>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You really just dont understand do you?

That whole connection between hen nights and gay clubs?

Straight women who like "the scene" and all that?

If you dont understand the reasons behind something then dont pass judgement on it

"I see no reference to 'a circus attraction', do you? It may come as a big surprise but hen nights are for women and not men! What did I say in my first sentence of the OP? I don't care what a person is."

Just WTF is that supposed to mean?

Did you read the article properly at all?, do you not know how to comprehend the written word?

If you wish to patronize me then try gaining a few IQ points first

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    They will, of course, not complain about groups of affectionate gay men being barred from pubs aimed at heterosexuals.....

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

then shouldn't they ban them on the terms of them being part of a stag/hen party rather than their sexuality? and why dump all hen parties under the same stereotype?

I'd have thought a sign at the entrance warning hen parties to behave coupled with a willingness to chuck the whole party out at the first sign of misbehaviour would have worked.
  • Tourist Tony
    My wife and I were refused service in Brighton once, in a rather gay bar that just happened to be the nearest to where she was parked.

• zoidburgcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

My wife and I were refused service in Brighton once, in a rather gay bar that just happened to be the nearest to where she was parked.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You obviously didnt see the sign Tony

Teddy bear night is on Thursdays[;)]

• Tourist Tony
    Definitely not a Teddy these days, Zoiders.......

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

I'd have thought a sign at the entrance warning hen parties to behave coupled with a willingness to chuck the whole party out at the first sign of misbehaviour would have worked.
    Yes why not just ban rowdy groups -is that too simple?

Every other establishment has rules and if people do not abide by them then they are asked to leave.

I guess people will not be quizzed on their sexuality before hand or will a judgement be made by staff as to a persons likely
    sexuality before they are admitted ?

R P Rodgers

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_ ... _Simpsons/

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
    "Methinks it is a weasel"
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I'm hoping that some of West Londons hetrosexual pubs start banning Australians

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
  • zoidburgcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But who would they use as bar staff?

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But who would they use as bar staff?

round these parts the 'strines got replaced by 'boks a decade ago. Now the 'boks are being replaced by Poles and the odd illegal Russian. Service in all three of my locals has taken a noticable nose-dive.

(Whereas the service - and beer - in the 100% British <i>Kings Arms</i> remains consistanly dire [V]

• Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219

round these parts the 'strines got replaced by 'boks a decade ago. Now the 'boks are being replaced by Poles and the odd illegal Russian. Service in all three of my locals has taken a noticable nose-dive.

(Whereas the service - and beer - in the 100% British <i>Kings Arms</i> remains consistanly dire [V]

Come to Scotland, mate...service with a snarl!

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Australian pub bars heterosexuals - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 697469.stm

I don't care if you are heterosexual, homosexual. asexual, bi-sexual or even tri-sexual. Adam & Eve cannot drink in the Peel Hotel in Melbourne but Adam & Steve can drink anywhere they choose.

Hey, didn't you know?

It's perfectly OK to descriminate against heterosexual, white males under the age of 65. In fact it may soon be a requirement.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • mr_hippo
    I will write this reply slowly as I know that you can't read very fast, zoidburg, please feel free to use a pointer or a finger to point to every word and split the big words down into smaller pieces. It is you who did neither read nor comprehend the article. The establishment in question was not a club but a hotel - two different animals. "Oh, please, Mr Hotel Manager, ban the straights because they are laughing at us." Guess what? Wherever you go people will pass remarks about you. I have been living in Bangkok for 5 years and the Thais still refer to me as a 'farang' (Thai for foreigner), stroke my white flesh & prod my paunch. Should I try and get the law here changed so that it is an offence to call a 'farang' a 'farang' and to touch them? Mr. & Mrs. Lottery Winning Townies' buy a cottage in that lovely village of Midsomer Pashley and are referred to as the 'newcomers' or the 'outsiders' - should they be offended? Fifty years down the line, they are still known as the 'newcomers' or the 'outsiders'.
    If you feel that I have patronized you, I don't give a hoot. You made reference to my IQ, for your information, it is 142. Does yours match that or is it the same as your shoe size?

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Is everybody tiptoeing around the real issue which is, should groups of people be allowed to ban other groups of people? We all know what the reaction would be if a pub manager tried to ban homosexuals, as was recently shown when a hotel manager in Scotland tried to do just that. FWIW I think that people should be allowed to ban anybody they want. Personally I would prefer to go into a pub which was open to everbody but I would have no objection if a black power group opened a pub where white blokes were barred. I would think they were being narrow minded but I would regard it as their right or privilege so to be. The principle to do just that now seems to have been established in Australia.
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834

They never have this problem in Moscow - Ask Peter Tatchell

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • zoidburgcp

I will write this reply slowly as I know that you can't read very fast, zoidburg, please feel free to use a pointer or a finger to point to every word and split the big words down into smaller pieces. It is you who did neither read nor comprehend the article. The establishment in question was not a club but a hotel - two different animals. "Oh, please, Mr Hotel Manager, ban the straights because they are laughing at us." Guess what? Wherever you go people will pass remarks about you. I have been living in Bangkok for 5 years and the Thais still refer to me as a 'farang' (Thai for foreigner), stroke my white flesh & prod my paunch. Should I try and get the law here changed so that it is an offence to call a 'farang' a 'farang' and to touch them? Mr. & Mrs. Lottery Winning Townies' buy a cottage in that lovely village of Midsomer Pashley and are referred to as the 'newcomers' or the 'outsiders' - should they be offended? Fifty years down the line, they are still known as the 'newcomers' or the 'outsiders'.
    If you feel that I have patronized you, I don't give a hoot. You made reference to my IQ, for your information, it is 142. Does yours match that or is it the same as your shoe size?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It still doesnt change the fact that dont understand what was said

I did not quote the article word for word, I used my exact wording because it was an entirely suitable and correct description of the feelings described by the owner for the way his customers are beggining to feel

Comprehension and interpretation is a key skill in reading the written word which you obviously do not have

By the way

I read just fine, its my handwriting which is poor because of dyslexia so I suggest you watch your hatefull little mouth in future.

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    How can the doorman tell whether you're gay or straight? Do they have Gaydar?

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • mr_hippo
    zoidburg, I know not and nor care not if you are gay or straight but stop having a hissy fit. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. You put your interpretation on the article to suit you. Why doesn't he stop the parties coming in? Could he not change the public hotel into a private members, homosexual only establishment?
    "Comprehension and interpretation is a key skill...." Don't you mean 'are key skills'?

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

How can the doorman tell whether you're gay or straight? Do they have Gaydar?

Baby elephants? Pah!!

How many straight guys would act gay just to get in?

Gays are easy to see- they are the ones who have floppy wrists and skip everywhere.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

They will, of course, not complain about groups of affectionate gay men being barred from pubs aimed at heterosexuals.....

I'm going to try that, ban all gays from a bar so that the poor straight men can have a safe and comfortable environment to enjoy free from the persecution of homosexuals.

I wonder how many human rights groups would support me?

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson