U2 Christianity and Bono?

stevechambers34
stevechambers34 Posts: 458
edited May 2007 in Campaign
re the recent TV coverage of U2 songs being sung in 'church' I couldn't help but recall an aquaintance informing me of Bono's alleged support for the IRA, is this true? has anyone else heard this?
by the way this is NOT an anti Christian rant ...just wondered if there was any truth in it?

being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    If you want to get an idea of Bono's beliefs, the book of interviews with him is pretty enlightening.

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Bono is [insert Deity here]?

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bono is David Brent
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

If you want to get an idea of Bono's beliefs, the book of interviews with him is pretty enlightening.

Care to briefly enlighten us and save us the trouble of reading his book

R P Rodgers

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_ ... _Simpsons/

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
    "Methinks it is a weasel"
  • Mister Paul
    Haven't got the time really to explain a couple of hundred pages.

It is worth a read.

Anyway, according to Paul Whitehouse, Bono is "as humble as a womble humble".

• During the time that he was sucking up to Bush and Blair while trying to hijack the Make Poverty History campaign, to "put pressure" on western governments to commit to greater aid in the 3rd world, he was arranging his finance in off-shore thingy's to avoid paying tax in Ireland. In other words, I live in Ireland, I'm proud of being Irish, but the Irish hospitals/schools/roads/social services/police force/etc can collapse for all I care, you're not getting you hands on my money.

I find him hypocritical.

Cars don't kill people.
    Motorists do.

Cars don\'t kill people.
    Motorists do.
  • U2 generally dont discuss thier religious beliefs straight out due to the whole irish catholic / protistant thing;

they're christians
  • Cannock Chase
    Cannock Chase Posts: 558
    Bono may mean well but he thinks he is a modern day Jesus who can change the world.
    John Lennon couldn't do it, so Bono's got no chance.

I'm not getting old...I'm just getting more stupid...
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    i seem to recall that john Lennon played a quite significant role in forming attitudes during the 1960s and 70s? Peace, equality, womens rights, social comment, decent music etc.

He had the big advantage of getting shot dead before he could 'blot the copy book' by becoming a cynical reactionary along with so many others of that heady period..

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • Cannock Chase
    Cannock Chase Posts: 558
    "Peace, equality, womens rights, social comment, decent music etc."

Apart from womens rights (and they may disagree over that) not much has improved has it?

I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Has Bono given away all his money then or does he just want other people to do that ?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cannock Chase</i>

"Peace, equality, womens rights, social comment, decent music etc."

Apart from womens rights (and they may disagree over that) not much has improved has it?

Fair comment [:)]

• Bcp
    Bcp Posts: 1,163
    Don't know if it's been relayed on here before but I've now twice heard the story about Bono at a concert in Glasgow slowly clapping his hands and telling the audience, 'Every time I clap my hands a child in Africa dies'. To which the response came, 'Well, dinnae f**kin' do it then'. It's the sort of story I really hope is true. [:)]
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

Has Bono given away all his money then or does he just want other people to do that ?

Why? Have you given away all of your money, or do you just want Bono to do it?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hackney Carriage</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

Bono is David Brent

Bono is also having a pretty crap Giro for Lampre-Fondital. [:D]

tea is good
  • Well , I'm not rich but I've given a larger percentage of my money to charity than Bono , the guy doesn't even like to pay tax.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

Has Bono given away all his money then or does he just want other people to do that ?

Why? Have you given away all of your money, or do you just want Bono to do it?

• Mister Paul
    How do you know?