Raleigh/Philips Mule trailer hitch

YoungGreyBeard
YoungGreyBeard Posts: 13
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I have a Philips Mule trailer which is the same as the Raleigh one and is the one available at Argos. I use it with a 1982 vintage Dawes Galaxy.

The hitch clamps onto the chainstay. I preferred this to an axle hitch as only about 4mm of axle thread protrudes from the nut and this didn't seem enough for an axle hitch.

My only concern is that the instructions show the tow bar being attached under the chainstay with the clamp wheel being vertical. This leads to the inside of the clamp being very close to the spokes - not good!

I found a photo, via google, on a cycle hire website which shows the tow bar to one side of the chain stay with the clamp wheel being more or less horizontal. This leads to much better clearance.

I assume that the eliptical cross-section of the chainstay stops the clamp rotating, but I would interested in others experience with this trailer.

The key criteria for choosing it were: budget!, it folds up, it will fit through the back gate. I generally use it for trips to the allotment although I am keen (!) to use it for shopping although my partner stated that "That was just too weird".

Comments

• Marc S Taylor
    Marc S Taylor Posts: 397
    YoungGreyBeard, does this picture offer any help?

http://www.gaytoncyclehire.co.uk/index2.asp

Perhaps a call to the shop will provide thew answer you seek.

Marc

I walk, cycle and drive, a mixed mode traveller best decribes me. With feet in all camps, a mind free to explore all . . .
    I walk, cycle and drive, a mixed mode traveller best decribes me. With feet in all camps, a mind free to explore all . . .
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Younggreybread, I have a Mule and have never mounted the hitch anyway other than to the side ie the knob is to the side not underneath. I didn't read the instructions this just seemed to be the most sensible way to put it together.

They're a very good little tool for the price IMO. I reinforced the sides with thin polycarbonate sheeting to prevent the sides bowing and rubbing on the wheels. A flag is a very, very good idea too.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    I have a kids' trailer with the same hitch. I've tried it with the knob on the top (as in the picture) and the side, and have never had a problem either way.

• Many thanks for the replies.

Marc - this is the photo I found.

I also bought a flag from Halfords. The only one they had which wasn't a cartoon character. One looks odd enough towing a trailer!

I'm very pleased with the Mule. It means that I can get all my tools up to the allotment (we don't have a shed) and it doesn't take any longer than by car as it's truly door to plot.

Sometimes the last hill before home is a bit tough after a couple of hours digging though.
  • windyphil
    windyphil Posts: 106
    I need a trailer to carry windsurfing kit down to the beach - any ideas of one that can carry something about 2.5m long without catching the back wheel?

If only the legs were as good as the bike....
  • Marc S Taylor
    Marc S Taylor Posts: 397
    Windyphil, yep got just the solution. Look at Carry Freedom:

http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html

To quote " Extra long handle Got a kayak, or canoe that you need to tow. We can make longer towing arms to extend the distance between the trailer and the bike. The longest weve made allowed a Y-Large to tow a 17ft long Kayak."

Good luck

Marc

• windyphil
    windyphil Posts: 106
    ta mate, looks just the job! Pity I haven't got one now as it's windy out and the wife has the car!