100 mile tt, ten day taper.

chriswcp
chriswcp Posts: 1,365
Any ideas? Ruth?

If the big 'A' 100 miler is on a Sunday, then I'm thinking the following;-

Wed: Last long ride of approx 100 miles to check out position and distane and confidence.
Thur: recovery/normal commute(2x1hour)
Fri: Normal commute
Sat: 3 hours at 100 pace (or slightly lower.)
Sun: 2 hours at 100 pace
Mon: Normal commute
Tues: Norrmal commute then a session of 2x20's
Wed: mid week 10 and ride home about 1.5 hours.
Thurs: Normal commute
Fri: Rest
Sat: 1x20
Sun: race

Come on you internet coaches, any thoughts? Not enough rest? Not enough intensity building up? Last long ride too early/too late in the cycle?

Comments

• andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    Tapers are quite personal IME.
    Given your past experience chris, what gave you the best relative result, and how did you prepare mentally and physically for that event?
    Good luck with the event chris : )

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrisw</i>

Any ideas? Ruth?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You expect me to give away my secrets?! [;)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If the big 'A' 100 miler is on a Sunday, then I'm thinking the following;-

Wed: Last long ride of approx 100 miles to check out position and distane and confidence.
    Thur: recovery/normal commute(2x1hour)
    Fri: Normal commute
    Mon: Normal commute
    Tues: Norrmal commute then a session of 2x20's
    Wed: mid week 10 and ride home about 1.5 hours.
    Thurs: Normal commute
    Sat: 1x20

Come on you internet coaches, any thoughts? Not enough rest? Not enough intensity building up? Last long ride too early/too late in the cycle?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Not nearly enough rest. Remind me what 'normal commute' means? (Whatever it means that's not nearly enough rest.)
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I don't really get much choice! I'll try to do 90-100 on one day the weekend before, with one day of nothing, and then commute as normal during the week (normal is 20 miles each way in spring and summer), except for the day before, when I'll do nothing at all... I've also just realised that I need to increase my core and upper-body strength for climbing, so more pilates and free weights ahead...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • chriswcp
    Thanks guys/gals

Normal Commute means a 1hr ride to works at any level I choose and then a 1 hr ride back. This is normaly at leve2, or low level 3.

Anyway I've just realised that I'm not in work the weeks before so I could train like a pro.[;)] So I'm already on plan b after 3 hours of putting it together.[:I]

Andy, You make a good point and as I have the records of last years race and as I was happy with my performance last year, I may have a look back and use that as well

Ruth, come on just a few secrets. I'm trying desperatley to beat Ryan this years and as you managed to beat him by 1 min in the Welsh 2 years ago, I thought I'd seek your knowledge.[:)]
  • BeaconRuth
    Well let's see the new plan minus the commutes then.........
  • chriswcp
    Ok plan B

Thur: recovery 1 hour
    Fri: 1 hour tempo ride (not sure!)
    Mon:
    Tues: Session of 3x20's. 1st two easier than 'normal' but third one all out.
    Wed: mid week 10.
    Thurs: Easy hour spin.
    Sat: 1x20 early mornning, then bed early.[:)]

That better? Remember I wont be working for two weeks before event so I can sleep, eat and train like a pro, all that's missing will be ...[:)]
  • andyBcp
    Chris, I cant understand why you dont post this in the TT forum.
    You'll get more responses there.

• chriswcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyB</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, but I don't want them seeing MY secrets. Rather I don't want the person I'm trying to beat seeing my 'plan'. I had a few drinks with him last night and he was quite critical of my training, I think he's worried[:)] Thankfully we were both on the lager rather than the truth juice cider, so it was all good natured.

Friendly rivalry within teams, there's nothing like it.[;)]
  • andyBcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrisw</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyB</i>

Yeah, but I don't want them seeing MY secrets. Rather I don't want the person I'm trying to beat seeing my 'plan'. I had a few drinks with him last night and he was quite critical of my training, I think he's worried[:)] Thankfully we were both on the lager rather than the truth juice cider, so it was all good natured.

Friendly rivalry within teams, there's nothing like it.[;)]

I did wonder is that was an issue[:)]

Looks like you'll be crossing Ruth's palm with gold if you want any half decent coaching tips from her[;)](I use this icon when I'm having a joke)

• BeaconRuth
    I offer excellent value for money, Andy. [:)]

Chris - what's your thinking behind 5hrs at race pace the weekend before? I'm not sure I'd plan to do (the equivalent of) a 100mile TT the week before my target 100mile TT. My rule of thumb is to either train long or train hard - never both.

Also, I wonder whether 1x20 the day before is wise? I don't think it takes that much intensive effort to loosen your legs off?
  • chriswcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BeaconRuth</i>

I offer excellent value for money, Andy. [:)]

Chris - what's your thinking behind 5hrs at race pace the weekend before? I'm not sure I'd plan to do (the equivalent of) a 100mile TT the week before my target 100mile TT. My rule of thumb is to either train long or train hard - never both.

Also, I wonder whether 1x20 the day before is wise? I don't think it takes that much intensive effort to loosen your legs off?

Thanks Ruth. The two and three hour workouts are my stock workouts where I know where I should be at what time and in what condition if you know what I mean. Given that 100tt pace is actually quite difficult, I'm probably exageraing the intensity of these a bit.

The day before the race I'm finding the most problematic. Last year I'd have to take a complete rest day before a race but I'm thinking of moving the rest day to two days before then have one confidence building 20 min effort the day before.

Perhpas then a 10 minute effort and no more?
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0101.htm

This suggest reducing training load by at least 50% in the week before your target event. Sounds like your 3/2 hours and 1x20 the day before are for reassurance purposes - if you've trained well in the run-up, do you really need them and what benefit will they provide? The aim of this week should be to recover, not to add any additional fatigue.
  • chriswcp
    The last session is more for mental benefit than anything else. I go absolutely nuts if I don't ride my bike. It gets so bad that I sometimes end up doing d.i.y. and believe me this isn't good for me, my family or more importantly my house.[:)]
  • Mike Willcox1
    Mike Willcox1 Posts: 311
    I wouldn't do any serious training on any of the 3 days (Thursday- Saturday) prior to the race myself. On the Wednesday do a very hard interval session.
  • simmocp
    simmocp Posts: 203
    I'd be completely buggered if I did this plan but then everyone is different and I find that i don't recover well. My best taper is a week off the bike![:D]
    What sort of time do you expect to do BTW. I've only done 2, but I'll tell if you do!

simmo
    simmo
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Think I'd take a few days off meself, but then I don't race.I definitely wouldn't cycle on the Saturday - do the 20 on Fri instead?

Then spend some of Saturday checking bike & kit? Watch something inspiring on TV - Landis' 'resurrection' or Chariots of Fire, have Jack Daniels or two and then early to bed.Well it worked for some

And BTW try walking if you get restless - DIY sounds like a recipe for a Jalabert (or was it Virenque?) - fell off something doing repairs!

Good luck whatever - I've only done 160km (sounds like more in kilometers)twice, but the second time was with full touring gear tent 'n all. Got a blister - plz don't ask where....

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • chriswcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simmo</i>

I'd be completely buggered if I did this plan but then everyone is different and I find that i don't recover well. My best taper is a week off the bike![:D]
    What sort of time do you expect to do BTW. I've only done 2, but I'll tell if you do!

simmo

4:28 on a windy undulating course (aint they all[;)])

Looking for a minimun of 4:24 on a much faster course, but as said earlier any time that gets me close to my clubmates and beyond them will do.
  • simmocp
    simmocp Posts: 203
    Well I'm not a tester, hence I've only done 2 and that was only because my wife liked the look fo the club BAR trophey!
    I nearly died on the way to 4.29 then a few weeks later I rode at a steadier pace and did 4.16 without suffering a near death experince, but never again.
    Good luck to you.

simmo
    simmo