A Sad Day

Michuel
Michuel Posts: 269
edited May 2007 in Campaign
I didn't see this incident but have seen other similar without the tragic consequences. A cyclist trying to get to work or whatever oblivious of anything else but his speed and his sole objective. Mumbled apologies. But isn't this the same mindset and behaviour we've suffered so much from similar motivated motorists. We're all going to suffer from this if this is true

http://brentfordtw8.com/default.asp?sec ... rim049.htm

Comments

• Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Yes, actions taken with no consideration for others seem ever-more commonplace. Obviously being struck by a motor vehicle is more likely to result in serious injury or death than being struck by a cyclist nevertheless I too have no time for pavement cyclists.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Has any evidence been given that a cyclist was involved? I have followed the case since the date of the accident from the inital 'there are some suggestions that bicycle was involved' to the current 'killer lycra lout scum' frenzy being whipped up by lazy local journalists (and shortly to be picked up by lazy and stupid national journalists no doubt)

The only indication the incident was caused by a pavement cyclist was from the victim herself.

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Very sad story. We have the word of the old lady I suppose that is quite strong evidence. I don't mind them whipping up a storm about pavement cyclists - they shouldn't be on the pavement where people are walking and it might focus the minds of some of the providers who would force us onto cycle paths which are no more than pavements with a line drawn on them.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • marky2484
    marky2484 Posts: 160
    The only indication the incident was caused by a pavement cyclist was from the victim herself.

Uh.....fairly strong indication then - imagine writng " The only indication that the accident was caused by the motorist was from the cyclist himself" Would ya???[:0]

If I had a baby elephant, I'd be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Hands up!

I think previous threads condemning Pavement Cycling say it all!

Although we are going to bear the brunt of this in some ways, I think that I am not responsible for this personally, in the same way as a responsible driver is not responsible for the actions of an irresponsible motorist.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

Has any evidence been given that a cyclist was involved? I have followed the case since the date of the accident from the inital 'there are some suggestions that bicycle was involved' to the current 'killer lycra lout scum' frenzy being whipped up by lazy local journalists (and shortly to be picked up by lazy and stupid national journalists no doubt)

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Take the time to read your post again, and think about what you are implying [:0]

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Gavin Gilbert
    tell me 'box - what am I implying?

• linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    That she was making it up! What had she to gain by lying ?

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    "The post mortem showed <b>cause of death to be natural causes</b>. Before she died she was interviewed by the police about the circumstances that led up to her death. She told her family that <b>she believed</b> she had been knocked over by a cyclist who made a muttered apology before cycling away. Police are reviewing CCTV tapes of the area."

She died of natural causes, not of being knocked over.

Why did she say <i>believed</i>?

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/kellys.html
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • Gavin Gilbert
    I can't see any such implication. Witness statements from victims, and particulary the elderly, can be unreliable

The main local paper (The Ealing and Acton Gazette) has a much more balanced report on the incident and their journalist makes it clear that there where no other witnesses able to corroborate the claims, and that the police are 'keeping an open mind'.

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Two different issues:

1. Cyclist on pavement knocks over pedestrian - Shouldn't have been on pavement in th efirst place, and shouldn't have riden in such a manner as to have endangered the pedestrian

2. If the above did occur, and and thought the person was OK, then riding off is perhaps acceptable, if they thought that it was a minor incident and no injury had occurred.

It is not uncommon for minor injuries to have serious consequences in the elderly and may actually "contribute" to the death, confusion may in fact be one of the symptoms in such a case.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Gavin Gilbert
    With respect Cuno, your post is conjecture. There's no evidence the incident a 'cyclist' was involved in the incident, if a 'cyclist' was involved that there was fault attached to the 'cyclist', no indication of where on the South Ealing Road the incident occured (short sections of the pavement are designated as shared paths).

And yet the headline is 'Pavement Cyclist Blamed for Death'