Greenspeed Recumbent Trike

malagash
malagash Posts: 3
edited July 2007 in Road general
I am riding a Greenspeed GTR Recumbent Trike. It has a rigid frame and has been giving me some problems with my lower back due to the road conditions. Looking some advice on how to to suppress the jolts from the potholes and breaks in the pavement. Thank you.

Comments

• The first obvious questions are: what tyres are you currently running, and at what pressure?

The original spec tyres are Tioga Comps 1.75 slicks, rated to run at around 90ps. If yours are anything like this, pressure-wise, it probably feels like you're running around on solid tyres, hence the back ache.

The first thing to try would be a drop in tyre pressure to make them softer and more shock-absorbing. I have a Trice Classic with Marathon Slicks all round (20 x 1.35 at the front, 26 x 1.75 at the back) and I run these at around 55 psi, which is more than adequate, considering that the "load" is spread over three wheels.

If this doesn't help, and if you have the wheel clearance, you could try running something like Schwalbe Big Apples which come in fat widths for extra comfort.
    <font></font>
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Another (cheaper) option I have heard is to remove the seat.

Now place a thick layer of foam inside the seat sleeve and reapply the seat. This can help by absorbing some road shock..

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    Here is the reference.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    By coincidence:
    http://p216.ezboard.com/obusform-evalua ... 2999.topic

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • alexjrice
    alexjrice Posts: 2,511
    Stick a Schwalbe Big Apple on the back.

---
    http://www.ajjrice.plus.com
  • gad
    gad Posts: 82
    My Trice QNT runs as if on silk with 2" Big Apples all round, it does have a rear elastomer. You can get 2.25" too so try that on the rear with 2"s on the front. I'm using 43psi front 48 rear with no problems.

Elephants are people too!
    Gad lays back and pedals slowly away, poor old soul. Elephants are people too! Arch for PM. \'Every home fit for baby elephants!\'
  • Apparently placing pipe insulation from B&Q or simular around the seat rails can soften things up a bit. Never tried it myself as all 3 of my trikes have hardshell seats.

There are some things money cannot buy, for everything else there is Mastercard.
    My piece of the Internet </font id="size1">
  • france
    france Posts: 93
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by malagash</i>

I am riding a Greenspeed GTR Recumbent Trike. It has a rigid frame and has been giving me some problems with my lower back due to the road conditions. Looking some advice on how to to suppress the jolts from the potholes and breaks in the pavement. Thank you.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    <font size="2"></font id="size2">
    How many miles have you ridden to date on the GTR ?
  • malagash
    malagash Posts: 3
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by france</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by malagash</i>

I have owned the trike since February of 2006. I would say that I have put about 2000km.on the trike.
  • france
    france Posts: 93
    <font size="1"><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by malagash</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by france</i>

I have owned the trike since February of 2006. I would say that I have put about 2000km.on the trike.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></font id="size1">
    Before you chase tyres ....sponge rubbers and other ideas
    Ride down the road and get a friend to observe you from the rear ?
    If your head and shoulders are bobbing up down or rolling side to side in relation to the seat whilst in motion ....that will be the cause of comfort problems ....the Upwrong (saddle)brain chip needs swopping for a slump in the (armchair)and relax in the seat chip .....let me know the results !
  • seumasl
    seumasl Posts: 100
    Even so, on my Q-NT I am running S-Liks on the front 80psi and a big apple on the rear 70psi and this has smoothed the ride out brilliantly (previous set up Kenda K Wests at 95psi - no fillings left, they vibrated out)
    Tyre pressure is a trade off between low = comfy and high = better (I think anyway) rolling resistance and puncture resistance.
    Best way to travel anyway.
    Seumas
    Just hold it there,don\'t move and don\'t drop it, I\'ll be back in a while.(If it\'s safe).