It's true, fat blokes do bounce!

Paul Lavery
Paul Lavery Posts: 1,463
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
Got binned off the bike tonight on my way home by a guy with no insurance which, incidentally, isn't actually a legal requirement here - not even third party! Got a couple of witnesses and will report the 'incident' to the police tomorrow. Apart from the usually road rash to my right forearm and right thigh, I'm good.

Anyway, it's Sod's Law that I was riding my 'good' bike [Principia] which is looking a little worse for wear tonight! The frame appears to be OK but the R/H STI lever and the rear mech [both Ultegra] are shot to bits as is the saddle. The rear mech hanger also has a big crack in it so I'm glad I thought on and bought a spare before I left the UK.

Anyway, I'm not getting too excited at the moment we'll see how things unfold. I'll book the bike into my LBS tomorrow and get a damage assessment. The guy has said he'll pay for any damage but in my experience, when presented with a bill for several hundred dollars, people usually baulk and change their tune! Maybe this guy's different! Who knows? [}:)]

Only ever regret the things you didn't do!

Only ever regret the things you didn\'t do!

Comments

• The Ace
    The Ace Posts: 337
    Ouch!

Remember, every crash you can walk away from is a good one AND Wounds heal and chicks dig scars.
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    Downer, hope you get paid mate

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") If I could do a baby elephant I'd use that instead.
  • Paul Lavery
    Had a quote for repairs + replacement clothing today. $1850! Rang the guy to tell him. I don't speak Korean but he didn't sound too impressed. I suppose it's ironic that it would have been cheaper for him to pay for third party insurance in the first place!

Anyway, I won't hold my breath. [V]

• road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    Let's hope your legal representative (are you a CTC member?) manages to get you and your bike properly restored.
  • Paul Lavery
    CTC? Here? Er, no! I was a member in the UK and did use their excellent legal representitves once following a crash I had a few years ago.

This guy is screwed anyway. The crash happened right outside his house. If he doesn't pay up, I'll simply prosecute him through the civil courts so he'll incure costs as well. At the end of the day it's his choice.

• Paul Lavery
    This guy has really p1ssed me off this week. He's given me the run around big style - not returning calls, slipping into the 'me no speaky English' routine when I do manage to catch him. Anyway, by Friday I'd had enough and submitted a formal report/complaint to the police, electing to prosecute the driver if possible. The police officer I spoke to reckoned the car probably has no registration and won't have a WoF (MoT). Regardless of this, the driver has failed to report an accident involving injury to another party and that alone gives grounds to proceed with a prosecution.

On the plus side, my insurer has agreed to cover the full cost of the repairs to my bike and replace the damaged clothing - less the $100 excess.

If there's a lesson to be learned here, it's this. Even though you might want to give the other guy the benefit of the doubt and rely on their personal sense of decency and honesty, don't. Most of the time, they'll do anything to avoid accepting responsibilty for their actions, especially when there's money involved! [:(!]

• Will your insurance company handle the civil action to recover their costs? I wouldn't like Mr Korean's chances fighting them off in court :)

Hmm?
  • Paul Lavery
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by StefanH</i>

Will your insurance company handle the civil action to recover their costs? I wouldn't like Mr Korean's chances fighting them off in court :)

Hmm?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Apparently so. I spoke with my insurer today and they said they'd persue the recovery of their costs with 'merciless vigour'. I'm still not sure if the lady I spoke to was joking or not.

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    It's an insurance company: merciless vigour is their stock in trade! Glad your guys are paying up.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.