The Land Of The Free ... er ... provided ...

ankev1
ankev1 Posts: 3,686
edited May 2007 in Campaign
... provided you keep your gob shut that is.

On a completely different matter in Special Interests, Cunobelin provided a link to Bent Rider Online which appears to be an American forum. There's a heading which appears to be an attempt to create a sort of Cake Stop cum Soapbox where you can discuss absolutely anthing you want except politics or religion. This of course made me appreciate Soapbox all the more. We manage to have rows, some people are even quite unpleasant to others but the world goes on. No harm done and in some small way we may even be the better for it.

But what is it about Americans? They're forever banging on about being the Land of the Free and freedom itself, yet the US is the place where political correctness was invented and there is hardly any sort of serious opposition. Makes yer proud to be British.

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

...in Special Interests, Cunobelin provided a link to Bent Rider Online which appears to be an American forum.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's anything to to do with bike. [;)]
  • cuddy duck
    cuddy duck Posts: 3,211
    Yaay!
    A platform for racists.
    Good old C+.

<font size="1"><font color="teal">There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing. But no cyclists: that's one thing we can be sure of....</font id="teal"></font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><font color="teal">There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing. But no cyclists: that\'s one thing we can be sure of....</font id="teal"></font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cuddy duck</i>

Yaay!
    A platform for racists.
    Good old C+.

And lunatics. [;)]
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    Given where Ankev is living, criticising other nations for political correctness is just slightly bizarre; Germans give lip-service to democracy, but in reality gruppen-denken is a way of life. The Germans are just a lot more self-disciplined; enforcement is not required.
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>
    Cunobelin provided a link to <font color="blue"><b>Bent Rider Online </b></font id="blue">which appears to be an American forum. There's a heading which appears to be an attempt to create a sort of Cake Stop <font color="blue"><b>cum Soapbox </b></font id="blue">where you can discuss absolutely anthing you want except politics or religion. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I'm in a juvenile mood today![:D]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">More tea, vicar?</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stelvio</i>

Given where Ankev is living, criticising other nations for political correctness is just slightly bizarre; Germans give lip-service to democracy, but in reality gruppe-denken is a way of life. The Germans are just a lot more self-disciplined; enforcement is not required.

I hold no brief to defend the German way of doing things so that is not directly relevant to the OP, but seeing as how you mentioned it ...

What you say applies a fair bit to the German press and politics on certain issues, the best example probably being the EU: you'd go a long time before you'd find any reporting or publicly aired view which was critical of the great Brussels experiment in anti-democracy. OTH on almost every other subject you can think of the expression of a wide range of views is encouraged: take a look at any of the TV discussion programmes.

But back on the OP: there does seem a tendency to try to maintain the good old US of A as an opinion free zone. Eureka! That's what they mean by freedom: free from dissent!
  • Dayvo
    Dayvo Posts: 1,882
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fnaar</i>

[/quote]

So what's your excuse for all the other days? [;)]

I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
    I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dayvo</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fnaar</i>

So what's your excuse for all the other days? [;)]
    [/quote]
    Fair point! I'm always like this....
    My humour "organ" stopped developing at age 14. [:D][:D]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">More tea, vicar?</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]