First 100 miler

BillR1
BillR1 Posts: 271
Any help on a programme for my first 100 miles in 3 weeks time. I am doing this as part of a relay from lands end to john o groats and as there is a support vehicle I would like to do it without getting off the bike. Most I have done is 65 miles non stop and I try to do over 100 miles per week with a 55 at the weekend. Any help welcome.

Bill

Comments

• andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    If you do have the opportunity to, try to up your weekend ride closer to 100, 75-80, as this will give you a better idea of the pace you can sustain for that extra distance. If you're unable to do any more than the 55ish you are doing currently, try to get a mental fix on the pace you will need for the 100 miles.
    If need be, start out slower, and increase the pace further into the ride if you feel confident in doing so.
    Good luck.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Try and get a 75 miler in to perfect feeding strategy and to help you mentally prepare for the distance.

Make sure you drink loads. On my 1st 100 Miler it took me 10 hours ish and I drank 5.5 litres and when I got home I was dying of thirst so had another litre right then.

As for food have a nutri grain bar or something every hour while riding (or more if you are hungry) and then stop regularyl for a nice big meal and a mental break.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nolf</i>

Try and get a 75 miler in to perfect feeding strategy and to help you mentally prepare for the distance.

Make sure you drink loads. On my 1st 100 Miler it took me 10 hours ish and I drank 5.5 litres and when I got home I was dying of thirst so had another litre right then.

As for food have a nutri grain bar or something every hour while riding (or more if you are hungry) and then stop regularyl for a nice big meal and a mental break.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've just woken up fresh from a 132 mile UAdax ride - OK not so fresh six hours sleep has not been enough.

I've just started doing the 200km distances after spending every weekend from the end of December through to April doing 100km (62 mile) rides. The only thing that got in the way of me doing the longer distanes sooner was the lack of daylight hours and I like my bed too much for an early start [:p]

I wouldn't get too hung up on the jump in distance. Your state of mind, a ride strategy and nutrition will play a bigger part in your success.

HAving re-read your message - aspiring to doing the ride non stop is in a different league to what I'm accustomed to i.e. gettting off to stretch my legs and having a snack every hour and a half or so and having something more substantial at the half way mark.

It sounds like you'll be needing energy bars, gels and sports drinks possibly handed to you from the support vehicle if your intention to stay on the bike...

FWIW a very hearty breakfast eaten a good hour before I start riding sets me up for the first 2-3 hours though I do start topping up with jelly babies after two hours. I also eat bananas - five on yesterday's ride, plenty of fluids - six litres yesterday, malt loaf, a couple of sandwiches, 100g of jelly babies, and a brace of pork pies.

You might like to explore your route using bikely com, you can get a gradient profile from the plotted route and anticipate the challenging sections.

Here's a plot of yesterday's ride to illustrate the facility:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Au ... -the-Wolds
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Just to mention that my average speed on the 55 miler, which was a mixture of climbs and flat was 18.9 mph. What speed should I be looking at for the 100 miler?

Bill
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I went straight from 65 miles to 100 and the only real difference was I got a bit bored towards the end. I'd say drop your 50-60 mile speed by 10% and you'll be fine.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">FWIW a very hearty breakfast eaten a good hour before I start riding sets me up for the first 2-3 hours though I do start topping up with jelly babies after two hours. I also eat bananas - five on yesterday's ride, plenty of fluids - six litres yesterday, malt loaf, a couple of sandwiches, 100g of jelly babies, and a brace of pork pies.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where on earth do you store it all? Especially the six litres?
  • Ha ha my thoughts exactly! Vernon you must have might big pockets!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey little thing let me light ya candle cos a momma I'm sure hard to hannana, yesaran
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    You don't think maybe he STOPPED on the way, do you ;O)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sloboy</i>

You don't think maybe he STOPPED on the way, do you ;O)

OK Mr. Practical!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BillR1</i>

Just to mention that my average speed on the 55 miler, which was a mixture of climbs and flat was 18.9 mph. What speed should I be looking at for the 100 miler?

Bill

If you can do 55 miles at that pace I really wouldnt worry too much about stepping up to 100. The longest I have done is 90 with only a handfull of other rides being over thirty. Others may think I was hopelessly under prepared but still managed to finish in a shade over 5 hours on a heavy steel hybrid. Then cycled home too :)

Maybe practise cycling without using your hands so you can stretch out your back every now and again?