Why you should wear a helmet

Ale
Ale Posts: 180
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
Seems to be one of the best reasons so far for wearing a helmet!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6688087.stm

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Tom <b>Screech</b>, bird expert<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    [:D] That's too funny! LOL!
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Very scary.
    FCN 10
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    There is no evidence at all that wearing a helmet can protect cyclists from buzzard attacks.

Mmmmmmm... baby elephants.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

There is no evidence at all that wearing a helmet can protect cyclists from buzzard attacks.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You're more likely to be attacked by a buzzard when walking than cycling.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • lardarse rider
    lardarse rider Posts: 1,447
    ...and a buzzard could get a good grip on your helmet and fly off with you still clipped in!!!

Please be upstanding for the Mayor of Simpleton

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    "Tom Screech from the Screech Owl Sanctuary"
    - yeah, very likely !

"members of the public have been reminded that all birds of prey are protected by law"
    - so if this f*ing thing is clawing at your head and you have a swipe at it with your pump or whatever else is to hand, they'll prosecute ? Mmm, must try to remember that !

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Loads of buzzards round here. Apart from one flying towards me at height to take a better look they just flap slowly away. ..big buggers, buzzards, not the equal of eagles tho'.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    This is quite common during the nesting season.

Supposedly a pair of big eyes painted on the helmet, drawn on a cloth cap, or tattooed on your head will deter them

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Slightly OT but related to birds. While on holiday in India a few years there were an awful lot of birds of prey which would circle above the sea at the coast. I used to get in the water and float and play dead to see what they'd do hoping for a "bite". Sadly nothing but it would have made a good collection of scars! And yes it was a very stupid thing to do.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

Mmmmmmm... baby elephants.

Helmets are only designed to protect against the impact of a buzzard at 12mph with claws of 3mm or less. In most buzzard related cycling accidents, the bird is flying too fast and has too sharp claws for the helmet to make any difference. Also, you can get torsional injuries if the buzzard grabs your helmet and tries to take off with it. [:D]

'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It's a daily mode of transportation. People don't dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

Loads of buzzards round here. Apart from one flying towards me at height to take a better look they just flap slowly away. ..big buggers, buzzards, <b>not the equal of eagles </b>tho'.

Apparently, Eagle Owls are attacking walkers near their nests, in Lancashire I think? Now, that IS a bird to worry about. They eat buzzards for breakfast. Literally!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Then more lives could be saved if walkers had to wear helmets.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.