This makes me very suspicious

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Campaign
After three people involved in the Church of England have been jailed for child sex offences since April this year, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said that in the past they had misinterpreted putting the welfare of child first, as meaning that there should be no court proceedings.

The common factor in the three cases is that the Church knew what was happening but had covered it up. One bishop has ordered an investigation into 850 files.

It just crosses my mind that this may be a way of preparing the ground for admissions that child abuse has been widespread in the Church of England and concealed by the authorities for many years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6690273.stm

Comments

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

After three people involved in the Church of England have been jailed for child sex offences since April this year, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said that in the past they had misinterpreted putting the welfare of child first, as meaning that there should be no court proceedings.

The common factor in the three cases is that the Church knew what was happening but had covered it up. One bishop has ordered an investigation into 850 files.

It just crosses my mind that this may be a way of preparing the ground for admissions that child abuse has been widespread in the Church of England and concealed by the authorities for many years.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

These religious types seem to have an ability of interpreting the bible to cover their failings, wonder which bit covers child abuse?
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    I wonder if there is any relationship between steam locomotives and child abuse. Years ago, a high proportion of vicars had a 'healthy' interest in steam locomotives - either restoration, making working scale models or train spotting and little or no child abuse. Now there are very few steam locomotives but more child abuse.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 26/27 May: Update published: Monday 28 May
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    Where were all the state's intrepid and fearless investigative reporters while all this has been going on in the state's church? Pestering scientologists and football managers, that's where.
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

Where were all the state's intrepid and fearless investigative reporters while all this has been going on in the state's church? Pestering scientologists and football managers, that's where.

Unless the church has been paying them off? (would fit with your conspiracy bound mind)
  • "Years ago, a high proportion of vicars had a 'healthy' interest in steam locomotives - either restoration, making working scale models or train spotting and little or no child abuse."

What on earth makes you think that the abuse is anything new? Over 40 years ago there were still steam trains (bizarre argument in any event!) but at least two of the leading "youth workers" at our C of E Youth Club eventually got busted!

Just that it just used to be considered part of growing up!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Apologies in advance for any possible offence caused but could there be a link between enforced celibacy and child abuse??

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thereisnospoon</i>

Apologies in advance for any possible offence caused but could there be a link between enforced celibacy and child abuse??

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/

No. Research has been done into this in the Roman Catholic church (as celibacy is not a requirement in the Anglican communion). Recorded rates of child abuse amongst the clergy (including religious orders), which have been adjusted to allow for non-reporting, are actually lower than in the wider population.

Most child sex abuse actually occurs between relatives (e.g. father and child, uncles and niece or nephew, cousins or siblings). Sexual abuse by strangers is a relatively small proportion of the total number of cases.

The reason that 'stranger danger' seems so prevalent is the way that it is reported. Alarmist headlines sells tabloid papers! [:(!]

Interestingly, in the RC church rates of homosexuality amongst the clergy are significantly higher than in the wider population - partly as the celibate priesthood was seen as a way of reconciling your faith with the church's teaching on homosexuality. Several seminaries were closed in the 1980s and 1990s as they had become 'hotbeds' of same-sex naughtiness... [:D]

And another interesting aside... divorce rates amongst married clergy in the Anglican communion is higher than the wider population.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Regulator</i>

And another interesting aside... divorce rates amongst married clergy in the Anglican communion is higher than the wider population.

Where do you get this from? The divorce rate is nearly fifty per cent in the wider population and all the vicars I come across have been married to the same person for ages.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

It could all be part of a long term project of the C of E and the RC Church to harmonise their working practices with a view to eventual reconciliation and reunion.
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Regulator</i>

Where do you get this from? The divorce rate is nearly fifty per cent in the wider population and all the vicars I come across have been married to the same person for ages.

I don't know where you get your figures from Patrick. Over the past few years divorce rates have been dropping and in 2005 were 12.7 per 1,000 married couples (1.27%) (see the Office of National Statistics figures). In the US, roughly 50% of marriages end in divorce - in the UK, it is 37.2% (in Canada 32.3%).

Amongst Anglican clergy, the divorce rate runs at approximately 46%in the UK and 57% in the US (figures come from those given to the preparatory meeting for the Lambeth Conference 2008) !

• simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

Unless the church has been paying them off? (would fit with your conspiracy bound mind)

The head bishop of the Church of England and the head of the BBC are both appointments subject to government approval. Effectively the Church of England and the BBC both have the same boss so it isn't too surprising that we haven't had a Panorama about child sex abuse in the Church of England but we have had one about Scientology, an obscure organisation that hardly anyone knows or cares about.
  • simple answer,

shop them,

if theres an alligation, there is actually an organisation used by churches to investiagte it and liase with the police.

if the person has done nothing wrong, they have nothing to fear,

heck, my close friends and girlfriend are under strict instructions to turn me in if theres reason to suspect anything, best way for my name to be cleared if there is an alligation

i dont expect there to be any alligations tho
  • Joe Sacco

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

The head bishop of the Church of England and the head of the BBC are both appointments subject to government approval. Effectively the Church of England and the BBC both have the same boss so it isn't too surprising that we haven't had a Panorama about child sex abuse in the Church of England but we have had one about Scientology, an obscure organisation that hardly anyone knows or cares about.

Brilliant, I knew you wouldn't les us down. BBC, Government, conspiracy. You are just joking really aren't you?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Regulator</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Over the past few years divorce rates have been dropping and in 2005 were 12.7 per 1,000 married couples (1.27%) (see the Office of National Statistics figures). In the US, roughly 50% of marriages end in divorce - in the UK, it is 37.2% (in Canada 32.3%).

Amongst Anglican clergy, the divorce rate runs at approximately 46%in the UK and 57% in the US (figures come from those given to the preparatory meeting for the Lambeth Conference 2008) !

Well, I wasn't massively out with nearly 50% for the breakup rate of marriages in the wider population. However, the figue you quote of 46% for Anglican clergy divorces leaves me gobsmacked, not least because of the particular problems caused eg. ex wives turfed out of the vicarage. Is there any official reference for these figures - not least because it would be a mega scandal? Just think of it - those preaching the sanctity of marriage are more likely to get divorced than the secular hordes. It's one hell of a statistic.
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    I work in the wider church arena and have only ever known two vicars go "off the straight and narrow" - one affair and one child abuser - but no divorces. 46% of C of E clergy does sound remarkably high. I'm thinking 4.6% would sound nearer. It would be interesting to see the figures.

It's also interesting that the figures have been published in the preparatory meeting of the 2008 Lambeth Conference. We won't get to 2008 for another 6 months.
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    I've spent most Sundays of my life in churches and I don't think I've met any divorced ministers!! NO idea where these stats are coming from. It's barking!!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cathryn</i>

I've spent most Sundays of my life in churches and I don't think I've met any divorced ministers!! NO idea where these stats are coming from. It's barking!!

America? Nothing the Episcopalians get up to would surprise me.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cathryn</i>

The abuse problem seems to stem from the simple fact that the church or any organisation appears to be making the decision whether further action should be taken and then this makes them complicit in sheltering the accused.

On these files would there be records of whether the matter was raised with the parents /guardians ?

Unfortunately the church or anyother employer should not be the one deciding on a persons innocence / or guilt where there are criminal allegations.

R P Rodgers

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_ ... _Simpsons/

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
    "Methinks it is a weasel"
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    Patrick:

For along time I've been saying, and on here, that the church without getting TOO serious is a very very mis-representation of things 'religious' that is totally not exact and in-exact !

IN OTHER WORDS (for the thick people on here - their never used to be):

ITS A ****ING CON and misleading ! [;)]

How can you have someone, in the name of Jesus ****ing Christ a representative (nun cleric whatever) who he never even foresaw or wanted !

Its a total joke.

The church is SOO far from the truth...

Get it / understand because you really are conning yourselves all of you who believe.

Beleive in the great and the good and honest and the truth but never anything thats ordered from sooo long ago that its not factual from NOW !

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yenrod</i>
    IN OTHER WORDS (for the thick people on here - <b>their</b> never used to be):

'there', dear boy, 'there'...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Posts: 703

You may have something here.

Perhaps the BBC is just the front for a worldwide leftist plot, to bring shame upon the good people that run the internationally respected Church of Scientology, and maybe the BBC also provides cover for Christian child molesters as part of their evil plot to debase Britain, and Sky viewers everywhere. Maybe the Director General is really the Archbishop of Canterbury. They have both got beards, haven't they? I can't believe that no-one else has noticed this!
    Dave
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    Don't take the wee Arch'...

The fact is your reaction cause's the church to be accepted.

Peace baby.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yenrod</i>
    IN OTHER WORDS (for the thick people on here - <b>their</b> never used to be):

'there', dear boy, 'there'...

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • You need a new babelfish, yenrod.

Either that or cut down on the special sherbert.....