What a bike thief looks like

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
edited June 2007 in Campaign
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6684499.stm

make a mental note of that face, and stamp on it if you see it [}:)]

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I had a virtually new Dawes Giro nicked from Woking station and I bet he's the man

SCUM
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    Ruddy hell, it's Shaun Ryder [:D]

Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I just bought a bike from that guy!!!

only kidding!!

SNAPS
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    I can't help but feel sorry for him. What sort of upbringing did he have? What are the chances that he will be able to sort his life out and hold down a legitimate job and stay out of trouble with the law in future?
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    [<font color="red"><font size="1">quote]<i>Originally posted by road-runner</i>

I can't help but feel sorry for him. What sort of upbringing did he have? What are the chances that he will be able to sort his life out and hold down a legitimate job and stay out of trouble with the law in future?
    [/quote]</font id="size1"></font id="red">

any volunteers to help end this poor man's suffering ?
  • Clive Atton
    Clive Atton Posts: 37
    'I can't help but feel sorry for him. What sort of upbringing did he have? What are the chances that he will be able to sort his life out and hold down a legitimate job and stay out of trouble with the law in future?

What about the poor sods whose bikes possibly weren't insured and consequently had a large bill as well as the inconvenience of having their bikes thieved; this git chose to steal. Where would we be without bleeding-heart livberals to wind us up with inane comments.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clive Atton</i>

'I can't help but feel sorry for him. What sort of upbringing did he have? What are the chances that he will be able to sort his life out and hold down a legitimate job and stay out of trouble with the law in future?

What about the poor sods whose bikes possibly weren't insured and consequently had a large bill as well as the inconvenience of having their bikes thieved; this git chose to steal. Where would we be without bleeding-heart livberals to wind us up with inane comments.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A bit of perspective needed maybe, he was only stealing bikes!

If you're bike is that precious then insure it. You presumably insure your house (and contents?), cars etc,.?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by road-runner</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>
    Who gives a f**k about his upbringing and his future for god's sake? The bar steward is a bike thief! And he, or someone with the same demented mentality, could nick your bike next! [}:)]

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    He must have been making a pretty good living out of it!!

SNAPS
  • frogcp
    frogcp Posts: 1,194
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">he was only stealing bikes!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> . . . And we only want to lynch him - seems fair enough to me . . .[;)]

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.
  • photoleary
    photoleary Posts: 48
    The reports says he's on the run. Surely he stand more of a chance of escaping the police by using one of the stolen bikes. [:)]

Sorry [:I]
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    the man was doing the owners a favour - he targetted mountain bikes used by commuters, surely they will now know to get proper bikes suited to road use. [}:)][:D][;)]
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clive Atton</i>

If you're bike is that precious then insure it. You presumably insure your house (and contents?), cars etc,.?

Yeah, sure...it's only property belonging to other people. What reason has anyone got to think he's scum? Oh, hang on a minute, he is scum and taking other people's property is against the law regardless of insurance.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I am reminded of a stunt by a motorcycle mag, rigging up a bike as a "sting" in conjunction with the police.
    Said bike thief had no problems with the court case, but went ballistic when Mutchy started snapping his face.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    On a related note:
    "Dear rail companies. This is why we prefer to take our bike with us on the train rather than leaving it 'secured' at the station".

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garybee</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

Yeah, sure...it's only property belonging to other people. What reason has anyone got to think he's scum? Oh, hang on a minute, he is scum and taking other people's property is against the law regardless of insurance.

Didn't say he was a great bloke, but people are being naive if they think they can leave things lying around and not get them stolen. This is not a new thing!
    Insurance is what the wise person would use...
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

the man was doing the owners a favour - he targetted mountain bikes used by commuters, surely they will now know to get proper bikes suited to road use. [}:)][:D][;)]

I was watching a commuter going up a hill on a mtb with front suss the other day. Looked as though half the poor sod's effort was getting absorbed by the front fork.

Does anyone leave their pride and joy locked up in bike racks ? I bought a 2nd hand œ35 bike specifically for those occaisions
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>
    I bought a 2nd hand œ35 bike specifically for those occaisions

Oh yeah - who exactly did you buy it from then [;)]

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • Ste_S
    I did wonder why he was wearing a black and white stripped top. The bike came out of a bag marked swag, i assume swag is a new Taiwanese maunfacturer ?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

I am reminded of a stunt by a motorcycle mag, rigging up a bike as a "sting" in conjunction with the police.
    Said bike thief had no problems with the court case, but went ballistic when Mutchy started snapping his face.

Maybe something for C+ to try in various cities of the UK !!

A tracker device located in each bike frame - as this crime is probably down to a few "low lifes" this could reduce the crime considerably.

R P Rodgers

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_ ... _Simpsons/

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
    "Methinks it is a weasel"
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>
    Does anyone leave their pride and joy locked up in bike racks ?
    Not a railway station but when I was visiting my dad in hospital earlier this year I had to lock up my expensive road bike beside the œ35 MTBs in the staff bike rack.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424

You should perhaps invite him round to your house for tea and sympathy and offer him one of your shiny new bikes[}:)]

This is my new bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • halfords wizzkid
    halfords wizzkid Posts: 1,387
    i say its 50/50 really, how many bikes where nicked because of you lot buying sh*tty cheap locks??? and yes i would like to kick his arse if i saw him in the street (oh sorry can't do that now as im supposed to be a respectable dad)!!

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241 ... rrera4.jpg
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113

He is stealing oxygen with every breath. My bike wouldn't fetch much on Brick Lane, but it's worth more than this chaps life.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

i say its 50/50 really, how many bikes where nicked because of you lot buying sh*tty cheap locks??? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, my 10 grand Serotta for a start. Which wasn't insured because you can't get cover for a bike over 5 grand. The only way to keep it safe would have been to buy an Almax/Squire lock and chain combo. How much would that weigh? More than the bike! If I was given a chance to behead the thief I might just do it. [:(!]

If only somebody could invent a lightweight lock that can't be beaten by wire cutters.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • halfords wizzkid
    halfords wizzkid Posts: 1,387
    Thats all you guys think about isnt it?? the weight of the lock!! screw that I'd rather have a lock that weighed more then the bike than have to pay out for a new bike!! think about it!!

• Ste_S
    I'd never leave a bike >œ100 locked up anywhere
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

Thats all you guys think about isnt it?? the weight of the lock!! screw that I'd rather have a lock that weighed more then the bike than have to pay out for a new bike!! think about it!!

I'd prefer to have no lock and no bike thieves.
    Why should I spend 100 on a lock that weighs more than the bike because society tolerates parasites like this? I should be spending that money on making my bike lighter and thieves should be eradicated.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    Right on. Lock up the thieves and let the bikes go free.

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/kellys.html
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • pgscp
    pgscp Posts: 1,102
    Some commuting tricks to deter bike thieves.

1 Lock a lousy yuky looking hack bike at each station, wont get stolen no need to take on train.(This is what they do in Holland and Belgium, hence the huge station cycle parks). These unpopular machines can ride well, for example mine were a steel Trek with scratched frame and butterfly handle bars at the safer station, (called "Frankenbike"), and a 1960's ladies bike at the less safe end, total cost of both bikes œ35. Components frame etc very unnattractive to bike thief)

2 Buy a folder, I just used mine from Dorking to Bristol, (an alloy Dahon 20 inch wheels with scope to carry panniers from beam rack), parks behind seat, rolls luggage through station, no taxi or bus costs, journey time door to door less than the car, and cost much the same.

3 Remove wheel skewers, seat post, and use more than one lock, deflate at least one tyre, if possible take one wheel with you on the train. Use a cheap bike for commuting.

4 Join CTC, insure your bike with them.