UniCycle

knucklehead
knucklehead Posts: 243
edited May 2007 in Road general
Anyone know enough about unicycles to recommend a good one for under œ100? I think I want a 24" or possibly a 26" for street and trick riding but unsure about what I need to look for to hop and do tricks in the stem and wheels and if a brake is neccessary.

Comments

• Bit *Special* even for here!

Have you tried http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/

"And I just said "good luck"..."

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • velocipede65
    velocipede65 Posts: 740
    good luck indeed! I've had one (not as good as knucklehead is looking for) for three years and still haven't mastered it. I did manage to learn to juggle the jongleurs I got at the same time though....only a matter of time before I can do both at the same time.....

.....I wish

;o)
  • hazeii
    hazeii Posts: 233
    You probably want to think more about 20" or 22" - much easier to learn on (24" or 26" is like driving a juggernaut after a car).

Learning to ride a unicycle is highly variable - some find it easy, some find it hard. Under œ100 you're probably limited to no-name jobs, but you should find something that's fine to learn on.

Also, I will second the recommendation to unicyclist.com
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    a drinking pal of mine, who played unicycle hockey for the england national team, told me on weds in the pub that it's legal to ride 20" unicycles on the path.

if it has any bearing upon your choice.

as for me, i reckon you and him are nutters[:D]
  • "You probably want to think more about 20" or 22" - much easier to learn on (24" or 26" is like driving a juggernaut after a car)."

you sure, ive always known that the larger the wheel the eiser to ride (Within reason of course, but up to 26")

but i guess would be harder to learn trials stuff onit
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    Tricks?

Isn't riding a unicycle enough of a trick by itself?

I'm impressed
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Try these

All under œ40!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • hazeii
    hazeii Posts: 233
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pony</i>

"You probably want to think more about 20" or 22" - much easier to learn on (24" or 26" is like driving a juggernaut after a car)."

you sure, ive always known that the larger the wheel the eiser to ride (Within reason of course, but up to 26")

but i guess would be harder to learn trials stuff onit

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A smaller wheel is the same as a lower gear, which gives more control (and control is what it's all about!). Plus it's lighter, and you're closer to the ground.

Bigger wheels are smoother and better for long distance - good for rough surfaces and higher speeds, but those aren't exactly advantages when it comes to learning.
  • AlexRcp
    AlexRcp Posts: 12
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    are your best bet.I use them.
    You want a 19" trials for street and tricks,nothing bigger.Brakes are only really used for MUNI riding,fast downhill stuff,trials riding does not need one.Same with larger wheels.
    Get yourself a starter pack,from Unicycle uk and see how you like the sport,it takes some practice,and you will not be doing tricks for quite a while[B)][:)]
  • knucklehead
    knucklehead Posts: 243
    Thanks all for the replies.