Nice...

jakob_s
jakob_s Posts: 477
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
I suspected something like that would happen, after getting 6 green lights in a row..karma, y'know.
Getting to the corner of Theobald & Greys Inn road, it's the usual cycle-mayhem, but as I slow down for the red light, my spider-senses picks up another cyclist storming down the inside. There really isn't room, so I hold my line as I slow down and we stop with Mr. Numbty's handlebars inches from my elbows. He gives me a shove (not very effectively) and shuffles his way in front, but there's two more cyclist, so he can't go very far and I give him the Evil Eye(tm), but in honour of all things British, don't say anything.
He does, however, and goes "Don't you f*****ng eyeball me,<i>boy</i>", which just makes me more weeed off and I don't move my head. He repeats it and I tell him that maybe he shouldn't have pushed his way through, by which time one of the cyclists in front have moved away and he proceeds through the red light.
So..if you see a guy wearing a blue RenaultF1 shirt from a couple of seasons ago, on a MTB with facemask and probably bald underneath the helmet, please give him a nice little wave from me.

FGG #2384

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jakob_s</i>

"Don't you f*****ng eyeball me,<i>boy</i>", which just makes me more weeed off....
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

He's been watching "Full Metal Jacket" a few too many times. You should be weed off... he got the quote wrong.

Next time you see him say this...
    "I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would f**k a person in the ass and not even have the goddam common courtesy to give him a reach-around."

He may be impressed and astounded at your knowledge of the film and you'll both have a good chuckle.
    Or he may not. In which case I suggest you pedal really fast.[:I]

:O if he shoved me he'd be on the floor stuck to his bike with his spd's. muppet.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    For this reason is why I no longer enjoy my commutes unless I am commuting at 4am.

Yesterday we are standing at traffic lights at lower/upper thames street going towards Tower Gateway and so some girl manages to get in front of me and then proceeds up to Tower Gateway at about 6mph.I can't get past with traffic and motorcyclists behind me.Im firkin 20+ years older than her but I could still make it up there at almost three times that speed.[:(!]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • Oh yes, my most hated cyclommuters, pushy runts who can never ever cycle faster than me. I wouldn't mind so much if they rinsed me, but not one have ever even done that. I like to cycle next to them and say "What was the point in that? Do you want to be in front of me? Come on, ride in front of me then" Sometimes they look embarresed and ignoor me, sometimes they speed up and watch in dismay when I let them max out and then pull away.

Much of the time though I don't do anything, just sit far enough out in the lane that I can pass them all as soon as the lights turn.

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    jakob,

may I just congratulate you on your tribute to British stoicism, well played

the bloke is obviously a complete arse. In fact I move that anyone who sees him out and about should congratulate him on being an arse.

BTW on being overtaken by slower people, I had an embarrassing moment a couple of days ago. I was heading west on the Marylebone Road and had slowed a little on my SS MTB to time a light when the light changed and a girl in lycra pulled passed me on her road bike. Despite the fact I was wearing shirt and trousers I decided to see if I could keep with her because a) it would be fun and b) definitely more attractive view than the back end of a black cab. Anyway, at the next light the roles were reversed - I was spinning like a mad thing and she slowed a little for the light and I shot past her. I felt a right *cock* - must have looked like sort of bloke who couldn't stand being overtaken by a girl even when he was dressed for the office on his commuter. Had no choice but to head into the distance whirling at some stupid cadence and arrived at Paddington in a right state. She good the could grace not to latch onto my shoulder and completely humilate me.

oops

J
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    After being overtaken by a girl that was your only option Jedster. Glad to see you were worthy of the challenge.
    <a>road</a>
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    ....any commuter will know that you never, ever, overtake a woman when they are wearing lycra [:p]
  • Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    I'm boggling at the 'he actually gave you a <i>shove</i>' level. That's a wheel-kicking* offense, that is.

*Never, ever, under any circumstances do this. (with reference to the current 'nanny state' thread in Soapbox)

"We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    Nearly every day I get 'pincered' at a set of lights. Roadie on the right, hat 'n' tabard gutter hugger on the left. Both of them start to creep round while the lights are red, so that when they change I'm stuck in the middle of these two twonks and can't move. End result is that everybody is slowed down.

I'm tempted to move my bike forward in front of them, but that brings me over the white line and close to the adjacent traffic, and also makes me look like a pedantic tosser.

'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It's a daily mode of transportation. People don't dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • BlackandBlue
    BlackandBlue Posts: 1,467
    This happens to me also occasionally. The moment of mild irritation passes with the feeling of satisfaction when I later overtake. And it's not a "I'm way faster/better/superior than you" feeling, just because I overtake them, it's a "I'm way cool for being able to progress through traffic ... including other cyclists...including you, you irritating queue jumping slow coach." OK, so maybe the moment of mild irritation lingers a little while longer.