how long after nasty virus?

crackle
crackle Posts: 216
What started off as a cold mutated into a nasty little virus and then lodged in my sinuses and is now being blasted with anti-biotics.

During the Cold phase I managed to do a few trainer sessions, probably not wise in hindsight but once the virus fully hit I had no chance. I'm now in my third week and am finally feeling better. So today I did a 20 minute trainer session, light resistance, high cadence. The session felt fine but then after it I began coughing and with every hard cough felt dizzy and saw stars. So I'm far from in the clear yet and have resigned myself to going back 3 or 4 weeks in my already modest programme.

I think I may leave it 2 or 3 days and try another 20 minute session and see how I get on.

Just wondered what others have done in similiar circumstances as this is a real dint in the motivation, tempting to just give up in fact.

well pi@@ed off just now.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........

Comments

• egebamyasi
    egebamyasi Posts: 107
    I had a chest infection in Feb & felt just the same - wanted to pack in. Don't give up - you'll soon get your fitness back, i promise. You must get rid of the infection first though or you risk long term illness. Give yourself those 3 days off & just see how you feel. When you do start again keep it steady & don't try to make up for lost time or you'll get ill again!

Chin up!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Best thing is probably leave it a bit longer than you think you should - I've had an off/on virus for a couple of months now - had about 4 weeks totally off the bike in that time and though I've felt fine whenever I've tried a few hard days training it's come back.

Dave Hinde - probably the worst bike shop in the world.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I empathise with you.

I had something wrong with me last month, never found out if it was an infection or virus. I was off the bike for two and a half weeks (torture) and now two weeks later I still feel like I don't have the strength in my legs that I had before I got ill.I'm about a minute down on my 10 mile TT times. I'm trying to pace myself back up to a level of fittness but it's so frustrating.
  • I contracted cytolo-mega virus (CMV) about 5 years ago. I didn't do anything exertive (is that a word?) for about 4 months[:0]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/
  • crackle
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Butcher</i>

Best thing is probably leave it a bit longer than you think you should - I've had an off/on virus for a couple of months now - had about 4 weeks totally off the bike in that time and though I've felt fine whenever I've tried a few hard days training it's come back.

Dave Hinde - probably the worst bike shop in the world.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I had something similiar last summer when I was running. By September I'd given up running frustrated at the lack of progress with having to stop start, stop start.

Exertion, that's a word [:D] 4 months is a bit of a bu@@er.

I'm just trying to keep my cardio-vascular fitness now and some muscle memory. Even after a week off the bike position seemed a bit stretched today, got used to it after a few minutes but it's amazing how quickly you get out of the groove.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Even a bad cold can batter you - I suffered a bit of flu over Christmas that knocked the biking out for weeks (just when I had decided to get serious again) as I had loads of issues breathing cold air and couching fits.

To think when I was young I used to ride with the flu.... ignorance is bliss. How dangerous that must have been !

Take it easy, listen to the body - you'll probably be flying soon, as a break is some times good. Light turbo sessions first to gauge it. At least it's reasonably warm once you get back !
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    As someone who took at least half a year to recover from the effects (including heart sac inflammation:-()of exercising during an infection I can only say REST! At its worst I couldn't walk up the stairs without needing to sit down half way. Perhaps try: brisk (or less brisk) walking if you're feeling restless; drink plenty of liquids; make sure you're getting enough sleep - got to bed early if you can; eat as healthily as you can. Above all be patient but don't give up.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • binlinus
    binlinus Posts: 305
    Hi

I've got some sort of virus at the moment. Had it for about a month. I cna only do gentle cycling and walking. Slight pain in middle of chest and plenty of coughing. Will see what my GP says next week. I've known a couple of people with a similar thing at the moment.

Bin
  • crackle
    Whew! Finally got back out on the bike today after 3.5 weeks. I've done a couple of trainer sessions in the meantime but nowt else.

Still had some early strength but no endurance and CV fitness, especially on hills, has gone down somewhat.

So ease myself back this week and next; real shame as I was just over half way to my target and now I don't know if I'll have time to do it now before the kids break for summer and we all go away. Still got the cough as well, probably need a steriod inhaler to get rid of it - should make me go faster!!

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........