recommendations for retro road shoes - clipless

gralegav
gralegav Posts: 94
edited June 2007 in Road general
Hello,

my nicest bike is a 1980's jobbie, I've managed to get some lovely campag clipless pedals for it, but now I have convinced myself that modern road shoes look rubbish on it!

any ideas, preferably in black?

Comments

• jimbo1964
    jimbo1964 Posts: 770
    Adidas do some nice retro shoes.
  • with Jimbo - look out for the Adidas Eddy Merckx that always come up NOS on the bay. i have a pair and wear them as much as my modern SIDIs

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • gralegav
    thanks very much for your replies
  • jimbo1964
    This is the kind of thing. They also are doing a new leather one which looks really nice.. Can't find it anywhere at the moment... about œ130 a pair I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adidas-retro-cool-C ... dZViewItem
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    Adidas have a new one out - much nicer looking than the one in Jimbo's link. It was featured in last weeks comic, or maybe this month's Cycling Plus (they all merge into one...)

The tops are very retro but the sole is their top end carbon road sole. Only takes road cleats, not spd.
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • How about these?

I think they look very nice and, at that price, are very good value.
  • abm
    abm Posts: 74
    I love my Marresi Eroicas though they are not available in black and probably hark back to a little earlier than the 80s

http://www.marresi.com/Ita/HOME.html

I got mine in Radkunst in Berlin last year. They are absolutley lovely.
  • Slimtim
    Slimtim Posts: 1,042
    I have some classic laet 1980's Stephen Roche shoes for sale. Hardly used in 7.5. May be too modern but let me know if you're interested.
  • velocipede65
    velocipede65 Posts: 740
    Those Marresi's are nice - how much were they?
  • jimbo1964
    I think those new Adistar leather shoes are lovely. I would have bought them if I hadn't just splashed out on some Poggios (doh!).
  • abm
    abm Posts: 74
    The Marresi Eroicas were ?159. The sizing is a little small so I took a size 42 (UK size 8) whereas I would normally take a 41. The owner of Radkunst speaks very good English.

www.radkunst.com
    radkunst@yahoo.de
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimbo1964</i>

I think those new Adistar leather shoes are lovely.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agreed. I've already emailed Chickens to ask where/when to get them from. I'll let you know if I get an answer.
  • gralegav
    well, thanks to all of your help I'm ordering some Adistars from France via http://www.xxcycle.com
    after tracing suppliers through the US and Germany!
    Prices seem to vary wildly and I can find a UK supplier, but hey ho, got there in the end.

Tim, thanks for your offer, but I'm a size 10.
    I also loved the Marresi's, but the black Adistars suit me and the bike a little better.

cheers and beers to and for all

[:p]
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Have you had Adidas shoes before? I find them V narrow. There are Reynolds at 5 Selbourne Ave, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 5BX. http://reynoldsshoes.co.uk/

Neil
    www.dotbike.com
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • The reply from Chickens....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">this a special order shoe only, it can be ordered from your local bike shop where you must pay a deposit. Delivery times are around 8 weeks.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Think I'll go mail order!
  • gralegav
    Update - my shoes have yet to be dispached from France, but at least they've got online tracking so I know that!

Hi Neil, I've got some v comfy Adidas retro trainers, so I'm kind of hoping I've got narrow feet! Also the Reynolds ones don't have cleat fittings?

I had to take my lovely new (to me) 80's retro bike out yesterday with eggbeaters and mtb shoes!

PS am a loyal Dotbike customer - you've always been great! Actually, I need a couple of those ace Perfect Moiree tyres in 700/28, if you've got them in stock?