We all make mistakes

magnatom
magnatom Posts: 492
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
Yes I am willing to admit it, and as penance I thought I should post a video of one of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Izv3-sEfA

Approaching a roundabout I decide to overtake some traffic on the outside. Of course I want to go straight on and the majority of the traffic will be going right. This wouldn't have been a problem if I had stayed behind the second bus but I didn't. The thud you can hear is my back tyre lifting and hitting the ground as I avoid hitting the car in front of the bus. Oops [:0]. What was I thinking!?

I seem to be going through a period of making some silly mistakes, does this happen to others? I've been commuting for two years now, so am I getting to blas‚?

At least I admit when I'm wrong......

Comments

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Don't post a video on here.You will be crucified.[:p][;)]

Seriously yes im aware i'm not perfect and I still make mistakes.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Of course we all make mistakes, me included.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • magnatom
    I hope by admitting my sins up front that I will be forgiven....[:I]
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Nothing really wrong with that. You didn't actually hit the car, no harm done. I've hit the back of cars a couple of times, it always makes me chuckle at my stupidity!![:o)]

SNAPS
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

Nothing really wrong with that. You didn't actually hit the car, no harm done. I've hit the back of cars a couple of times, it always makes me chuckle at my stupidity!![:o)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the vote of confidence, however, I felt pretty stupid after that. Had the traffic started moving a little earlier I might have got caught on the outside of the bus with nowhere to go. Sure I could have braked and pulled back (or just have gone all the way around the roundabout!) but I wasn't happy at being caught out. [:(]
  • breszh
    breszh Posts: 185
    Hard lines magnatom, it happens to us all, I had a period last year when I did some really dumb manouveurs, goodness knows what I was thinking.

I once hit the back of a car at about 2 mph, couldn't unclip, fell over. This was right outside my daughters school, I had all these mums running over to me as if I'd just crashed at 30mph, asking if I was ok, I just got up, dusted myself off and carried on in an effort to make it look like falling off doesn't hurt. I got down the road and admitted to myself that my stubbed fingers were frickin' killing me!

The bloke in the car I hit knew I had bumped him, knew I fell off but didn't get out, strangely.

Then there was the time when.....oh I'd better stop now as this could be a ridiculously long post..
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    I once rode into the back of a parked car. I was slogging up a hill with my head down and just went slap into the back of it at about 10mph. I should add I was about 13 at the time

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I'd say that's no big deal - you weren't going that fast outside the buses or anything. A mini-emergency stop is nothing to worry about!!!

I think carelessness / attentiveness is a combination of habit, and current attitude. Some months you're speedy, and agressive, looking around, overtaking hard and fast; other months you're just getting through the day.... It may be just a phase, which will go away!!! (It will be back in a while I bet!!)

<font size="1">Have you ever tried pressing Alt+F4 ??</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    On tuesday a bloke in a 911 did a go...no...stop in front of me just as I was shoulder checking. I nipped just inside him but still ended up stiff arming his rear wing. Fortunately no damage to me or his car.

He was very nice when I tapped on his window to apologise "dont worry, just glad that you're OK"

very embarrassing

J
  • Hackbike 6
    Oh yeah I did that to someone's Chelski Tractor type vehicle wing mirror.I felt a right twonk.[v]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • My crowning moment was one morning, I threw caution to the wind and sprinted hard for the parliament square lights so that I didn't get stuck, then they changed to red seemingly in the blink of an eye. I was going at full whack but too far away to make the corner before traffic got there I thought. I jammed on the brakes as hard as possible, crossed the line on the front wheel (on my roadbike!) and wiped out in front of a police car coming away from the opposing lights. Both coppers jumped out and helped me sort myself out, one of them saying "you really should have just jumped those lights son"

I was unbelieveably lucky that it was a police car and they were switched on, I think any of the other London commuters would have run me over as they raced from the lights.

Needless to say, I now approach lights with a much more pragmatic view!!

• chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    Mine involved a milk float and a girl on the opposite side of the road, wearing a Ra-Ra skirt! That also dates it!

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

My crowning moment was one morning, I threw caution to the wind and sprinted hard for the parliament square lights so that I didn't get stuck, then they changed to red seemingly in the blink of an eye. I was going at full whack but too far away to make the corner before traffic got there I thought. I jammed on the brakes as hard as possible, crossed the line on the front wheel (on my roadbike!) and wiped out in front of a police car coming away from the opposing lights. <b>Both coppers jumped out and helped me sort myself out, one of them saying "you really should have just jumped those lights son"</b>

I was unbelieveably lucky that it was a police car and they were switched on, I think any of the other London commuters would have run me over as they raced from the lights.

Well, that's it, then.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

My crowning moment was one morning, I threw caution to the wind and sprinted hard for the parliament square lights so that I didn't get stuck, then they changed to red seemingly in the blink of an eye. I was going at full whack but too far away to make the corner before traffic got there I thought. I jammed on the brakes as hard as possible, crossed the line on the front wheel (on my roadbike!) and wiped out in front of a police car coming away from the opposing lights. <b>Both coppers jumped out and helped me sort myself out, one of them saying "you really should have just jumped those lights son"</b>

Well, that's it, then.

Baby elephants? Pah!!

There has always been a 'get out' to section 88 of the Highway Code (obeying traffic light signals) - the necessity defence. You are not required to stop if to do so would put you or another road user at risk, e.g. if a car was coming up behind you too fast, it's permissible to go through a red light to prevent an accident.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>

I once rode into the back of a parked car. I was slogging up a hill with my head down and just went slap into the back of it at about 10mph. I should add I was about 13 at the time<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Been there, done that, Christmas day, first racer, about the same age. Looking at how the gears changed and cycled into the back of the neighbours car !

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Now I'm sure that when I was learning to drive, I was told that one must always approach traffic lights at a speed that will allow you to stop safely if they change.
    In fact I was told lots of things that don't seem to bear any relationship at all to the way people drive (or ride) in the real world.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Hackbike 6
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

Of course we all make mistakes, me included.

<font size="1">My bikes

Nooooooooooooooo! I can't believe that.[v]

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

• BentMikey
    Ooh yes, I had a Royal Mail lorry save my bacon a couple months ago. I did a stupid overtaking move, and the driver was alert and left me space. Afterwards, at the next traffic lights, he was rather chuffed when I apologised and thanked him for being so observant.

<font size="1">My bikes

• when i was about 9 was peddling hard on my bmx, flew round a corner and somehow missed a stationary car in the middle of the road...i successfully managed to smash into the rear and tumble over the roof and trickle off the bonnet, oh the shame(and a liitle bit of pain) i jumped up fearing the owner having ago at me and got on my bike and peddled off even though the handle bars were all skewed, in fact i'm going abit rosey now just thinking of the embarrassment!

dangerous jules.
    you just have to accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue!
    dangerous jules.
  • BentMikey
    Oh crap, I've done that too as a lighty.

<font size="1">My bikes