The Smoking Ban 01/07/07

yenrodcp
yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
edited June 2007 in Campaign
My Question: what happens if people smoke outside yet a worky's work area IS outside [?]

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
[;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    If I've interpreted it right, apparently it's still illegal to smoke there if it's the work area for two or more people. Although I could be wrong.

More worryingly, the BBC website lists the unintended consequences as:
    * Increased Climate change - since pubs will use lots of umbrella heaters in beer gardens to keep smokers warm
    * Passive smoking to children, since more people will smoke at home
    * People who didn't otherwise smoke will take it up, as they will go outside with their mates who smoke rather than be left in the pub on their own (I think this is a bit far fetched!)
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

If I've interpreted it right, apparently it's still illegal to smoke there if it's the work area for two or more people. Although I could be wrong.

* Increased Climate change - since pubs will use lots of umbrella heaters in beer gardens to keep smokers warm
    * People who didn't otherwise smoke will take it up, as they will go outside with their mates who smoke rather than be left in the pub on their own (I think this is a bit far fetched!)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think that climate change should be the last thing on the conscience of smokers !

Filthy habit [xx(]

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Isn't it to do with being in an enclosed space, so outside doesn't count... Dunno though, as a non smoker, I haven't paid too much attention..

That last thing, about people taking up smoking is pretty daft. Why are they more likely to take it up outside than inside. Or does it mean there are people so thick, they think they can only go outside if they smoke?

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Those 'unintended consequences' are a direct result of the chuffing zombies 'intended decision' to continue

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

Isn't it to do with being in an enclosed space, so outside doesn't count... Dunno though, as a non smoker, I haven't paid too much attention..

That last thing, about people taking up smoking is pretty daft. <b>Why are they more likely to take it up outside than inside</b>. Or does it mean there are people so thick, they think they can only go outside if they smoke?
    Exactly... that's why it's so far-fetched! but supposedly the ethos of it is on the fact that it's "the fag break", and because everyone's gone outside specifically to have a fag and they're all lighting up at the same time, the guy who goes out just to have a chat with them feels a bit left out because he's not partaking in what all the others are enjoying - whereas if they can smoke inside then they can smoke when they want so aren't going to all be lighting up at the same time, and he can keep himself busy by drinking his drink in there anyway.
  • How well has the ban worked in Scotland and Wales ? Haven't heard much about it .

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/
  • Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    Smokers appear to go outside, nonsmokers appear to stay inside. Smokers outside tend to cluster right around the door, so anyone entering has to climb over smokers.
    And I don't reek (of smoke) after a night in the pub. [:D]

"We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • Pingucp
    Pingucp Posts: 4,991
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

How well has the ban worked in Scotland and Wales ? Haven't heard much about it .

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/

<font color="purple">It's fantastic [8D]</font id="purple">

<hr noshade size="1"><center><b><font color="green">Wear the fox hat.</font id="green">
    <font size="1">Cols d'cosse</b></font id="size1"></center>
  • Saddle bum
    Saddle bum Posts: 2,044
    There will be the predictable martyrs.

Molon Labe.

Molon Labe.
  • But the BBC article states some bloke actually started smoking due to the ban as he was upset about being left in the pub whilst his mates went outside. What a big girls blouse.

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    The BBC article is, excuse me, a load of shyte. Anyone who takes up smoking because they feel like they're missing out when they go outside with their mates is probably the same kind of person that walks across the road in front of a bus because they didn't notice it. i.e. a moron.

It's worked so far so fine in Scotland - and really, why should anyone really mind the two or three seconds braving the cigarette smoke by the entrance of the pub? The next two or three hours <i> in </i> the damn pub will be much more pleasant.

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • It hasn't really bothered anyone down here. Smokers pop outside for a puff if they go to a restaurant or a pub. It doesn't bother me as I don't even smoke in my own house, having a handily situated rear porch which is my smokehole.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • Saddle bum
    Saddle bum Posts: 2,044
    The private club I frequent has had a total ban since last September. They recently issued a "snottogram" expressing their displeasure that people had been seen smoking and also that one of the cisterns in the mens' loos had been blocked up with ciggy stubs after morons had had a crafty smoke in one of the traps and dropped them in.

Pathetic, ennit?

Molon Labe.

Molon Labe.
  • Bonus
    Bonus Posts: 316
    Some bloke started smoking "cos his friends smoked"???? LOL Was he 12 or something?
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

How well has the ban worked in Scotland and Wales ? Haven't heard much about it .<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rather well, though those nice smokers, now that their Divine Right to poison everybody in the pub has been taken away, have decided that the pavement outside is the correct place to fling their dog-ends. Someone has also told them that they get extra points if they leave them burning.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thereisnospoon</i>

But the BBC article states some bloke actually started smoking due to the ban as he was upset about being left in the pub whilst his mates went outside. What a big girls blouse.

I'm sure if they really looked hard enough they'll find a bloke who has bought a trained badger with the money he's saved from not smoking, which mows his lawns on alternate Tuesdays.

Best to take not notice of isolated examples.

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thereisnospoon</i>

But the BBC article states some bloke actually started smoking due to the ban as he was upset about being left in the pub whilst his mates went outside. What a big girls blouse.

I'm sure if they really looked hard enough they'll find a bloke who has bought a trained badger with the money he's saved from not smoking, which mows his lawns on alternate Tuesdays.

Best to take not notice of isolated examples.

I know of at least 3 people with badger mowers so not as isolated as you may think. Not sure they always mow on a Tuesday though, sure I saw one last Wednesday, so you may be right.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I don't know about mown badgers but I have come across some shaved beav.....I'll get my coat.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Rhythm Thief
    Rhythm Thief Posts: 2,787
    The smoking ban seems to be working well in Wales. Even speaking as a (relatively recent) smoker, I find the pub a more pleasant place to be in. If I want a fag, I go outside for it, same as I do at home. The net result is I smoke less.
    Ask me how I cope with it when I'm not allowed to smoke in the cab of my truck after July 1st and you might get a different response.[}:)]

• Ashtrayhead
    Ashtrayhead Posts: 963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by linfordlunchbox</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<b>I think that climate change should be the last thing on the conscience of smokers !</b>
    Filthy habit [xx(]

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

I might get a bit concerned about a non-smoker feeling slightly chilly.

'Don't Walk, Don't Smoke, Don't Drink', Don't Think'

\'Don\'t Walk, Don\'t Smoke, Don\'t Drink\', Don\'t Think\'

'I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f****n' mouth'
    Bill Hicks
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!! 1st July can't come soon enough. About time this disgusting habit was banned.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    Let 'em smoke, I say.
    Same with overweight people, it's up to them if they want to be that way.

Live and let live - I'm sure we do things that annoy them!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<font size="2">See My route to work!</font id="size2">
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

Let 'em smoke, I say.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

But we don't do things that will kill them!

OK - I'll just have one more baby elephant...
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheDoctor</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

Let 'em smoke, I say.

Playing Devil's Advocate, surely the smoking ban will increase the stress levels of smokers and possible have a negative effect on their health?

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheDoctor</i>

Let 'em smoke, I say.

Playing Devil's Advocate, surely the smoking ban will increase the stress levels of smokers and possible have a negative effect on their health?

Smoking is their choice. A non-smoker being enveloped in fumes in a restaurant by a smoker isn't.

• Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That only applies to smokers. Still, don't worry - we can blame overweight people for putting a strain on the NHS, or making the country less efficient.

There's always a way to target certain groups if you really want to.

Something's going to kill you one day, so why not other people's smoke?

<hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That only applies to smokers. Still, don't worry - we can blame overweight people for putting a strain on the NHS, or making the country less efficient.

There's always a way to target certain groups if you really want to.

Something's going to kill you one day, so why not other people's smoke?

OK, I'll bite.

I hate leaving a pub with sore eyes, a sore throaht, smelly clothes and smelly hair. Too feckin' right I'm going to target smokers, because they are the selfish sh<b></b>its blethering on about their rights while trampling all over mine. So sod them. If they want to kill themselves then good riddance.[:(!]
    And who's mentioned overweight people other than you? I'd object if they tried to forcefeed me, but that's about it.

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

Let 'em smoke, I say.

The opposite actually, as smoking increases stress levels.
  • I'm just thinking how much money I'll be saving when I'm banged up for refusing to comply and being kept by the state. Just got to check out whether or not smoking will be banned in the shovel. If it is, boy will there be a lot of good stuff available!!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheDoctor</i>

I hate leaving a pub with sore eyes, a sore throaht, smelly clothes and smelly hair. Too feckin' right I'm going to target smokers, because they are the selfish sh<b></b>its blethering on about their rights while trampling all over mine. So sod them. If they want to kill themselves then good riddance.[:(!]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't really understand this argument, why is anyone forced into going into a pub/restaurant where there are smokers? I could understand rights being abused if they were forced into it but it's a personal choice to go into these places.

If anyones rights are being trampled over it's the landlords decisions on how he/she operates their pub. the only possible argument I can see is the bar-staff being forced into working in a smoking environment.

And who's mentioned overweight people other than you? I'd object if they tried to forcefeed me, but that's about it.

I doubt smokers try to force their smoke onto you, if you choose to visit pubs/resturants where there are smokers, that's a choice, you're not being forced into it. Unless you work in one of these places...