Creaking forks/steerer

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited May 2007 in Workshop
on my 2006 Focus Cayo Expert. When I rotate the bars, there is a loud creaking coming from the headset area, and you can feel the vibration in the frame. I loosened up the headset cap and stem, and retightened but to no avail. I dont know how long it has been making that noise, at a guess about a couple of months since I have heard it whilst riding and TTing but couldnt figure out where with all the road noise going on at the same time. Anyone know what it is, and how to cure it. It doesnt sound right thats for sure.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">

Comments

• Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Steve,

I would start by dropping the forks out and taking a look at the headset, both top and bottom races. It may be that they just need a dose of grease or could be shot altogether.

If it is the races and its an integrated headset (I assume) then you need to change the set before it damages the bearing surfaces.

D[:D]

Too short for my weight!
    The Bikes
    A Day out
    C2C 2006
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

on my 2006 Focus Cayo Expert. When I rotate the bars, there is a loud creaking coming from the headset area, and you can feel the vibration in the frame. I loosened up the headset cap and stem, and retightened but to no avail. I dont know how long it has been making that noise, at a guess about a couple of months since I have heard it whilst riding and TTing but couldnt figure out where with all the road noise going on at the same time. Anyone know what it is, and how to cure it. It doesnt sound right thats for sure.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I believe that this is a carbon monocoque frame. Any carbon frames that are exhibiting creaking and other symptoms need further investigation.

I would remove the forks, check the headset bearings. Does this frame have an integrated headset or removable headset cups?

Carefully inspect the headtube, the fork steerer and crown for <b>any</b>sign of discolouration or cracking. If found, take the frame to the dealer for further analysis.

Do take the time to check this. Unlike steel or aluminium alloys, carbon fibre has the unfortunate property of sudden failure without much warning. It goes without saying that failure in this area could lead to serious injury.
    BTP,

Perth, WA
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Thanks for the info, I cant see any signs of wear etc, and im not confident of taking the headset apart so I'll take it the LBS tomorrow.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • jig
    jig Posts: 134
    steve - did you have any joy on finding out what the problem was?

being a fellow cayo expert 2006 owner interested in how you get on
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Well I got them checked out by LBS who told me the steerer/headset was filthy. Cleaned it out and regreased bearings, and voila problem solved. He was surprised by how mucky it all was especially considering how few mikles i have ridden (ca. 500 miles since new).

• jig
    jig Posts: 134
    glad to hear that, with all the other paranoid carbon posts I am thinking of just staring at mine and doing all my work on my decalthon œ134 hack!!!
  • SteveR_100Milers
    well its only the headset, and they do wear out eventually. Thing with the bime is you have a pretty damn good mono frame that is well worth both upgrading (say wheels) and also replacing worn out groupset bits. I'm going to change to an Ultegra compact chainset next year, along with a set of Ksyrium's.