Carlton flyer

Dickie
Dickie Posts: 1,489
edited June 2007 in Road general
Pics as I bought it, looks good but needs a complete strip and some brakes would be good. Now in progress so should be done soon.

Now finished. Brakes work, headset turns, b/bkt stays in. Not perfect a few very minor chips here and there.

All I used were the frame,fork,headset,clips and straps,reflector,seatpin,mudguards and stays, calipers and cable outers. The rest came from the parts bin and the wheels off my old B.A.R.

It needs a 18 tooth sprocket to get the gearing right. All in all very pleased.

Cost way too much if you add the cost of parts up, but that said this one is a keeper. Yes I know the bars and levers are out of period and the roller is plastic!

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/c1282713.html

Comments

• Just stop it now, Dickie! Or make it smaller! MY year!

Very nice: look forward to snaps of the finished item!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Dickie ,is this the one that was on e bay last week ? I wondered who had got it . [:)]

bagpuss
    bagpuss
  • Dickie
    BP yes it was. I negotiated. Picked it up today, 4 speed fc and enameled rims. Very fast and bloody hard actually, quite surprising it flys so does live up to the name. The only other classic that rides like that is a Bates imo. Need a longer stem.
  • i've got a longer stem that should fit if you're interested
  • Dickie
    Thanks for the offer Vince, I have a stem I just need to fit it.
  • Hi Dickie can you post some detail pics ie fork crown, seat stay ends rear fork ends, as I have a Webster of Chesterfield from allegedly 1949 but no one is sure whether Jimmy Webster was still building then or buying the frames in, several people have said it resembles a Carlton flyer, and as you say they/it do ride very very nicely.
    also my frame number is stamped on left side of seat lug pictures are at http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... er-rb.html

being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • bagpusscp
    Very nice Dickie . The box lining really sets these classic bikes off .

bagpuss
    bagpuss
  • Dickie
    Thanks BP, not quite as pimpy as yours though!
  • bagpusscp
    [8D][:)]

bagpuss
    bagpuss