• Did I pay too much, then?

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    not at all, i'm sure everyone agrees that
    ""We decided it should be saved for the nation and also kept in East Anglia"

[:p]
  • Its looks identical to a Raleigh Chooper. Is it a posh version??

DrK

www.bikesthatfold.com - Bikes That Fold is a resource for the folding bike devotee.
    www.bikesthatfold.com - Bikes That Fold is a resource for the folding bike devotee.
  • Mickle
    Mickle Posts: 995
    Its a Chopper wanabe. Different (oval) downtube, bars, forks, chaingourd &c. Very interesting. The forks are identical to those found on the Phillips Mayflower from the same period. Raleigh rebranded the Chopper as manufactured by Rudge for certain markets such as South Africa and Rhodesia. Could it be a Phillips? I dont know when Raleigh aquired Phillips. Would love to inspect the headbadge and give the saddle a sniff.

Dumbo.
    Elephants, schmeliphants.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    [:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

bagpuss
    bagpuss
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Popular in Halfords when I was a kid (I'm around her age)

The Tracker replaced the chopper, I think, and was itself replaced by the Grifter.

I'm not a hundred per cent about this.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I think the Chopper and Grifter were around at the same time. The Grifters wheels were the same size and the bike had more of a BMX look to it, but before BMX was around.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pretty certain that the Grifter came after the Chopper ?
  • Mickle
    Mickle Posts: 995
    The grifter replaced the Chopper. The Chopper was to the Schwinn Stingray as the Grifter was to a BMX, ie a rather poorly designed and manufactured boat anchor based on a Raleigh Twenty/ Shopper. I am at least 327.5% sure that Dianas ride is not a Raleigh.

Dumbo.
    Elephants, schmeliphants.
  • Anybody remember the Raleigh Striker ?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

Anybody remember the Raleigh Striker ?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Very easy to wheelie. I could go all the way down Greengate Lane. A lovely bike.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Yes the raleigh striker was lovely bike, very popular around here.
    Along with thread resurrections of the highest order.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    There was probably an overlap but the Grifter definitely came after the Chopper.

A few weeks ago there was a bloke on Antiques Roadshow with his Chopper. He’d just got it out for the first time in years (😏) and it was valued at £1500. He had 7 more in his garage!!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    The grifter was fat and heavy compared to the striker. probably why it needed gears!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Whatever the history it is a fact that the Grifter was merely a BSO that weighed far more than it should have.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.