WHAT saddle ?

WXM_rider
WXM_rider Posts: 13
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all.
Just staring to get back into cycling after a 4 year lay-off and need a little advice from you.
I get a sore ass.
would you say i need a wider saddle to "ease the pain" most makes do wider versions.
I'm a HEAVY rider and that'll put pressure on me bum i know. Just wondering if any of you had the same problem and had to look just like i am now.

Regards Barry

Regards Bazza
Regards Bazza

Comments

• soltydog
    soltydog Posts: 47
    I'm a heavy rider too & returned to cycling last year after considerable more than 4 years. I bought a new bike which came with a specialized alias saddle on. It was 143mm width & i could only manage about 10 miles & then suffered severe soreness. I switched to a 155mm width saddle & it did make a considerable difference, but wasn't an instant cure. I guess it takes time to get your bottom used to any saddle [:D]
    I can now do 3 hours in the saddle without any soreness.
    HTH

PS Padded shorts help too, but even with a anrrow saddle & padded shorts i suffered.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WXM_rider</i>

Hi all.
    Just staring to get back into cycling after a 4 year lay-off and need a little advice from you.
    I get a sore ass.
    would you say i need a wider saddle to "ease the pain" most makes do wider versions.
    I'm a HEAVY rider and that'll put pressure on me bum i know. Just wondering if any of you had the same problem and had to look just like i am now.

Regards Bazza
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

After recommendations on here yesterday I purchased a brooks B17 saddle. The bloke in my LBS told me it was the best money I could spend on my bike and I would not regret it.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    i asked on this forum recently about saddles and specifically about the brookes b17 and the spec. alias. Both were highly rated.

If you do a search for 'b17' and 'alias' you'll find that thread.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Just had a quick ride on the Helium with B17, it feels hard but it does feel "right" with my other saddles it feels you're sitting on the saddle, but with the Brooks my bum feels part of the saddle...if that makes any sense. Might angle up the saddle a bit as I slide down a little.

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • GreenLake
    GreenLake Posts: 80
    For what it's worth, my experience has been that it's not so much the saddle, but getting it set correctly and letting your sit bones toughen up.

I bought a spesh toupe 143. I set it up perfectly flat, at the right hight. After a few days of my normal riding my ass was on fire. I almost tossed the saddle in the bin. Instead I played with the angle, I tipped the nose up just a bit. Now my sit bones still take the weight, but I have more contact with the saddle.

The trick for me was this, as the original angle had bruised my sit bones, the new angle still hurt until the bruising eased. Now all is fine. I'm of the opinion that all modern saddles can work if you get the angle just right and your body used to them. Don't believe the stuff about never tipping the nose up or down. Everyone is different.

However, I also don't have an exectation for my saddle to be comfortable; just not to be uncomfortable. I expect my leather sofa to be comfortable, not my saddle.
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    2 words. fizik arione.
    comfiest saddle i've ever sat on. i have a big ass and carry nearly 17 stone around.

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • Guy Young
    Guy Young Posts: 120
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Father Jack:

Might angle up the saddle a bit as I slide down a little.

Stick with it for a bit, the sliding down will let up when the saddle starts to take your shape and the initial shine goes off it.
  • I have a Bontrager Race saddle on my Trek which nearly crippled me the first couple of times I took it out. But i kept with it, and now it has shaped to my arse (or my arse has shaped to the saddle) i find it fine for several hours.
  • hwangeruk
    hwangeruk Posts: 22
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sloxam</i>

2 words. fizik arione.

but there are 3 types of Fizik Arione, from 65 to 165 quid, which one are you referring to ?
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WXM_rider</i>

Hi all.
    I get a sore ass.

Regards Barry

Regards Bazza

IO am a heavey rider at 21+stones and have used Brooks B17 saddles on all three of my road based bikes. I regularly ride 100km Audaxes as well as doing 2 week camping tours. The Brooks have moulded to my body and are very comfortable seats. They were comfortable from day one.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Fizik Arione. Looks good, feels good. What more do you want.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

Brian B.

A Brooks B17? [:D][:D][:D]
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

Brian B.

Gianna Michaels? [;)]

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Same problem here. Spesh alias on race bike, and avatar on winter bike, both 155mm since im big. The toupe at 143 was not wide enough sadly. Have tried an SLR T1 for a TT and was great for riding on tri bars.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • I'd try adjusting your present saddle first. My bike came with a San Marco Rolls fitted as standard. I'd seen a few posts on this forum which weren't exactly complimentary, but I found it to be quite comfortable. When I first got the bike I set it up as I thought would be right, but after about 120 miles or so per week, I was getting a bit sore. I found that I kept sliding myself backwards on the saddle to get comfortable, so I adjusted it forwards and downwards a little bit. It now feels fantastic.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • Nilscp
    Nilscp Posts: 36
    fizik are good, I tried a couple and find the arione really comfy, there have been some threads about heavier riders breaking the older ones though. I read this years model is more sturdy though - worth investigating before you splash œ60 on one. The obvious brand for someone looking for comfort is selle royal, not expensive and not nearly as racy as fizik, but damn comfortable.

• sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hwangeruk</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sloxam</i>

2 words. fizik arione.

but there are 3 types of Fizik Arione, from 65 to 165 quid, which one are you referring to ?

basic œ65 with ti rails

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • WXM_rider
    do the fizik arione saddles come in differnt widths ?
    I'm also interested in the brooks B17

Regards Bazza
    Regards Bazza
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wynne G Oldman</i>

San Marco Rolls
    My roadie (presently sailing here in a container) has a Rolls that I've kept on a few bikes, it must be +15 years old? I love that saddle to death. It looks well worn but fits me like a glove.
  • WXM_rider
    Think i'll give the brooks B17 a go first.
    cheers for your ideas guys

Regards Bazza
    Regards Bazza
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wynne G Oldman</i>

I found that I kept sliding myself backwards on the saddle to get comfortable, so I adjusted it forwards and downwards a little bit. It now feels fantastic.
    I find myself doing the same thing. Interesting that you adjusted the saddle forward as I am tempted to move it backwards. I'll try forwards instead.