Trying to find new hills in Herts, Bucks, Beds

palinurus
palinurus Posts: 836
I always use the same ones, mostly that one up the side of Ivinghoe beacon, Tom's Hill out of Aldbury (bit short this one), there's some steep, but rather short, hills either side of Wendover. Looking for long-ish hills for reps. I always seem to ride out to the North of Watford, but rarely ride out to the West of London- anything good around there?

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    From chesham to wendover is like a warren for roads and climbs, get a good OS map [:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • http://tinyurl.com/2wrvdj[url][/url]

chinnor hill is a *****rd

also whiteleaf used in the archer grand prix

http://tinyurl.com/2n7l34[url][/url]

there are many others all over the chilterns also a fair few on the ridge that runs east west from Luton to past Royston. One of my particular favourites is

http://tinyurl.com/347xkq[url][/url]

up the hill from eaton bray to whipsnade nasty!!!

Jocksyboy
  • srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    Wendover Woods. From Aston Clinton up towards the Mountain Bike centre, take a right soon after you leave the B-road. You're going from the plain to the highest point of the Chilterns, and there's something over a mile of one-way road with a 15mph speed limit.

Kop Hill, marked on the OS map as the Sustrans route from Princes Risborough towards Chesham. A joy to descend (decent tarmac, good visibility and run-out) and hell to climb.

Chesham to Amersham via Bois Lane (not the main road) -- just gets steeper with a bend in the middle over the railway.

Chesham towards Bellingdon -- slow and steady.
  • palinurus
    Cheers all, I know some of these but there are a few there to try out at the weekend. There are some I can link together easily here too..
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    From Carpenders Park
    Little Oxhey Lane left into Prestwick Rd; decent hill to get started
    right into Sandy Lane
    left into Batchworth Lane; steep hill to the end of the road;
    right into Rickmansworth Rd to R/A 1st left to R/A 1st left to R/A 2nd left to R/A 1st left
    Follow A404 towards Amersham fairly steady climb out of town.
    At the secondary school (whose name I can nevr remember) there is an optional right turn into North Hill this runs steeply down, crosses a stream and turns sharply right
    then it goes upwards, very short, very steep climb to Sarratt.
    If you just keep going to Amersham then through to Chesham - decent climbs
    Then take Bellingdon Rd from the A416 - that climbs right up out of Chesham.
    At the top turn right into The Greenway down to the bottom and turn right, come out onto the main road - Berkhamstead road and go sort of straight ahead, turn left into Eskdale Ave and climb..... towards Hemel
    that's a start anyway
    I'm also in Watford - email if you want to organise a ride, but this sunday I'm doing the Castle ride in Kent

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Now just 88kg
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    I don't know how far south or east you want to go in Herts.

I ride every Sunday on the hills linking the villages of Crews Hill/Cuffley/Northaw/Newgate Street/Epping Green/Little Berkhamstead. They are good climbs. Especially going up vineyards road in Northaw then down carbone hill on the other side.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    would second the newgate street suggestion, not long climbs but they keep coming. I try and drop down towards Hertford and climb back up towards Essendon as well.
  • palinurus
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jocksyboy</i>

up the hill from eaton bray to whipsnade nasty!!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I often ride thereabouts- usually on the way back from somewhere else- but I always go through Dagnall and up Studham lane, or up to Dunstable. Next time It'll be via. Whipsnade. This is also close to where I work so I can use it during an evening ride.

Plenty of scope to spice up my loops here. I'll probably head over Chinnor way at the weekend.
  • palinurus
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by terongi</i>

I don't know how far south or east you want to go in Herts.

I ride every Sunday on the hills linking the villages of Crews Hill/Cuffley/Northaw/Newgate Street/Epping Green/Little Berkhamstead. They are good climbs. Especially going up vineyards road in Northaw then down carbone hill on the other side.

I've never been out over that way, I will do soon. Oddly I've never even really looked at that bit of the map. I've no idea why, but I've never been east of the A1000 on any of my rides.
  • definitely carbone hill into newgate street vicious nasty hill!!

Jocksyboy
  • thesaintv12
    thesaintv12 Posts: 50
    Try Treadaway near the A40 high wycombe, my legs hurt just thinking about that one.

There is another hill (Abby barn lane) not far down, you could make a nice loop there (if you are mad)

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=51.60426,-0.70256|17|4&loc=GB:51.6299:-0.74658:17|hight%20wycome|High%20Wycombe,%20Wycombe
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Try this little loop from just west of High Wycombe:

from Studley Green on the A40 (786954) go south on Bigmore Lane, then R and immed L to cross the Marlow Road (onto Chequers Lane). Continue to Fingest where R. Then 1st @ small grass T signposted Turville. (going through Turville glance R and upwards to see the windmill featured in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang [:)]).

Continue straight on and climb Holloway Lane. At the top, turn R at the T junction and continue to Christmas Common where R at T junction. Then R at the cross roads to rejoin the A40. Through Stokenchurch and descend back to Studley Green.

Repeat as required [:0][B)][:p] This loop gives about 15 miles of pleasure and pain.

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    New Hills?

I think you will find all the hills in those counties have been there for tens of thousands of years

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thesaintv12</i>

Try Treadaway near the A40 high wycombe, my legs hurt just thinking about that one.

There is another hill (Abby barn lane) not far down, you could make a nice loop there (if you are mad)

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=51.60426,-0.70256|17|4&loc=GB:51.6299:-0.74658:17|hight%20wycome|High%20Wycombe,%20Wycombe

Either that or hammersley lane back along the A40 by the shell garage!! I dont think that is possible without a tripple with a 28 on the back.

I always find the hill out of loudwater up to holtspur on the A40 is a good one for reps or if 'm feeling energetic then a quick spin out to stokenchurch on the A40 and then turn right just before the M40 junction heading towards postcombe. do that hill a couple of times and you'll know about it!!!
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • palinurus
    Thanks for all the responses- I'm trying out new routes based on these suggestions each weekend. Today went out towards Little Berkhamstead and rode around that area for a bit (only 20 miles from me and I've never ridden there). Nice today, cool, 65 miles and I found a shop which sold nice pastries.

I'll work my way through the rest of the suggestions over the next few weeks...
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Today went out towards Little Berkhamstead and rode around that area for a bit (only 20 miles from me and I've never ridden there).

I was out there this morning, were you one of the guys I saw?
    I was on a black Cannondale, blue Campag jacket, black helmet.
  • palinurus
    Probably not me, I didn't leave home till 11, probably got to lil' berko at about 12;15.
  • palinurus
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by srw647</i>

Chesham to Amersham via Bois Lane (not the main road) -- just gets steeper with a bend in the middle over the railway.

I took a long route home today and went up Bois lane, it isn't very long, it's quite steep, but there's a set of lights half-way up. It wasn't as bad to get going again as I expected. I came down a pretty good hill on the way tho' (on the brakes a lot of the time at about 10 mph: narrow, twisty, gravel everywhere and an oncoming car around every bend) so I'll try going up that way soon.
  • Jake the Peg
    Jake the Peg Posts: 130
    Hill in Bow Brickhill up into woods. Steep, long and beautiful.

Jake
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    try around Hambleden just to the north of Henly on Thames. I went over there for a ride out with a buddy and there's some great road, surprisingly quiet, and very hilly. You go up and down the side of the Hambleden Valley.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    I went over Carbone Hill in Northaw on Sunday morning up the Vineyards Road side and then over the crossroads at the top.

The descent down the whole other side was covered in gravel as part of some roadworks so be careful. It is a fast descent with a few gentle twists.