Verbal Abuse

Barney Wattletoes
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I've just switched to a Recumbent, having been more or less off the road for 6 months. I've noticed a new phenomenon - the unwanted opinion, shouted across the street.

Younger schoolkids and their parents always smile and say something positive as they see me waddle by - neither the Spirit nor its owner can be accused of being lightweight. A toddler yesterday asked his Dad if I was a spaceship, which might give us a new angle on the debates on wearing helmets and hi-viz clothing.

However, teenagers and men seem to take particular exception to a Recumbent. I can hear them all, not least because I am still not moving very fast after three weeks - "stupid bike", "ugly", "thats a sick bike". The piece de resistance was a car driver who pulled up alongside me out of the blue to tell me to p*ss off before rushing off (I'm pretty sure he meant the bike and not me, though, as I never got this on the old Ridgeback [:)])

<i>One cyclist had a discussion with me about 'bents as we rode along, and concluded the conversation by assuring me that the bike was "well phat". I'm still working on which side of the fence he was on.</i>

Naturally if I didn't have the metaphorical hide of a rhinocerous I wouldn't be on a 'bent in London in the first place [:D]. Still, if this keeps up I'm going to have to brush up on my retorts...

HP Velo Spirit, currently ridden above maximum design weight...

HP Velo Spirit, currently ridden above maximum design weight...

Comments

• Well phat means good, especialy if it was spelt with ph

(i'm 23 i know these things)

--

Insert stupid, possibly baby elephant realated, comment here......
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    "thats a sick bike" = good.

So maybe not as bad an experience as you thought?
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    How stupid.I like recumbents.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    LOL, you do get some funny comments on a 'bent. One person asked me if I was disabled ("Yeah, it's me legs"), and a car driver, on the phone, pulled up next to me and said "Get off that fcuking stupid bicycle". I just laughed.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have a thirteen year old niece who "translates" for me!

Most comments are good or supportive, from those intelligent enough to understand.

It can also be amusing....

I got the "stupid bike" comment from a guy in a chavmobile. Pointed out three wheels and therefore a tricycle and wasn't really worried about someone who couldn't count the three!

I have found that met of the idiots are anti-bicycle not anti-recumbent.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    I find the worst comments are from the 15-yr-old little pr1ckteasers who go onto the streets just to see and be seen. They'll will make it known in the most offensive way known to man just what the status quo is with you and your weird bike and a normal perception of reality.

Otherwise I find those with brains often use them to assess your interesting strange machine, whereas others just give necessary vent to some sort of animal reaction - ie the teenagers and young men.

As cycling through populated areas is only a means of transit anyway, this isn't much of a problem for me.

But don't get disspirited and don't give up, once you get up to speed you won't regret it. Eg yesterday I overtook a chap on a racer, while going up a steep hill. He followed me through Droitwich and lagged behind me towards Bromsgrove, despite the inclines. Eventually he managed to catch me up as I was thinking about my route, but when I saw him next to me I simply stepped on it and never saw him again.

<font size="1">1.5 hrs of early morning pleasure 3x per week</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't think it's just you 'bent - I get all sorts of abuse and I'm a roadie. This morning some chavs were behind me at a set of lights, could hear something being shouted, but ignored it. As the lights change I accelerate away and take the outer of two lanes as the road splits in two directions. Chavs pull alongside and the rear passenger is leaning over trying to 'hit' me.

As there are 4 of them and I'm fully kitted up, and road shoes and tarmac aren't a good footing for a fist fight, so I ignored them. Next set of lights were just changing to green as I approached, so I just shook my head and mouthed "Wayne Kerr" !

It's generally lads from 12 upwards, usually in groups. One evening in the Winter I was cycling past a couple of lads about 16 years old and the amount of verbal abuse was crazy - I sat at a set of traffic lights some 200 yards further down the road and the abuse just kept coming - some poor older woman was waiting to cross and looked in shock. 'Charming aren't they' I said.

There is just no respect for anyone these days, what's gone wrong. (and I'm only 37 - if my two kids were like that, out would come the soap).
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    Heading out in the weeing rain this morning I had some Irish bloke (on the way home from a big night?) in the back of a car say "hello ar$ehole, you're fat, fcsk you" or similar.

I smiled and wished him a good morning - guess my coffee hadn't kicked in?

hippy 1029 4312
  • Cunobelin
    "My - Don't you have excellent verbal and communication skills!" is a good reply

Takes them ages to work out its ironic!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • firsthippy
    I'm a bit thick. This morning's reply was uncharacteristically polite.
    I'm much more likely to move straight into a stream of abuse that would make Satan uneasy.

hippy 1029 4312
  • Only bit of verbal I got I probably deserved. I *did* look a bit of a tit trying to cycle up a particularly steep hill several months ago. It wasn't aggressive abuse I got, just mickey-taking.

I think when most people see me on the move, they at least have some respect for the fact that I'm on a 19" frame, I'm 6', my leg muscles finally have some definition and I've got my scowl on because I'm trying to go just a little bit faster than I did this time last week ;)

I haven't had a 'leisure' ride for some time. I'll promise myself to go on one when the weather improves!

I didn't precisely ignore the verbal, I'm sure I shouted back something like "oh yeah? I'd like to see *you* cycle up this hill, chav". Whatever it was that I said, it worked. If I get worked up (by people performing thoughtless manoevers etc) I find muttering the words "what a doofus" usually makes light of it.

Hmm?
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    some CHAV gave me abuse once, so i said "i'd like to see you making it up this fecking hill". he took me up on the challenge, borrowed my bike and my shoes. then half way up, gave up from exhaustion and realised he didn't know how to unclip and fell off seriously injuring himself. [:D][:D][:D]

then i woke up...[:(][:(][:(]

(i'd love to do that, but in reality they'd probably just nick my bike.)

Buggi
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • jjojjascp
    jjojjascp Posts: 126
    a bit OT I know, but I was waiting at the lights last month when two 14/15 year old started giving me lip ("got a F****** suitcase on your bike mate"...panniers etc)so, being myself I give a load of verbal back which surprised them a bit. I cycled off then stopped at the next lights and they rolled up behind me telling me I "couldn't do this" (back wheeling it). There was nothing behind me so I pulled away popping the front end up and keeping it there for only 10-15 meters, getting a big cheer from them....then hit the drain cover in the gutter and landed heavily - still with street cred intact (well, if your 15 years old!)...
    then when I got home I spent 45 minutes straightening my rear rim....what a plonker

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    I got some serious verbals last week, a youth with a pool cue at a bus stop took offence to me. I've no idea what was said but it was quite heated and definately directed at me . I was going to double back and wind him up some more but realised the bus could turn up any minute and drop him just down the road with a pool cue . . .

I get a lot of comments while towing a trailer. Some of them are even positive[8D]

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • charliechalk
    charliechalk Posts: 229
    Riding the tandem through London brings out all sorts of comments, mostly positive/inquisitive, but some negative. My favourite comments are the ones made by people who through ignorance don't even know what it is - some of the words they come up with to describe it are fairly comical:

"Ooh look, a double bike!"
    "Is that a cut-and-shut?"

Of course, there are plenty of comments along the lines of "that stupid bike takes up too much road space", the most ironic of all coming from the driver of a bendy bus which had just done its best to sideswipe us.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Hahahahahaha, I like the cut-n-shut one!!!

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Y'know even when I didn't ride a bike, it would never have occured to me in a million year to share my opinion of someone else's transport as a stranger, totally unsolicited.

What is it with these fckwits that makes them think their opinion is just so damn important and witty/interesting. What sort of areas do you guys travel through. I lived in Chav central in Swindon 15 years ago and never got this (although they did help themselves to the bike in the back garden). Is this a recent thing?

<hr noshade size="1">
    Guaranteed elephant free since 1971.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firsthippy</i>

Heading out in the weeing rain this morning I had some Irish bloke (on the way home from a big night?) in the back of a car say "hello ar$ehole, you're fat, fcsk you" or similar.

hippy 1029 4312
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

"Yeah? That's 'cos every time I shag your wife/girlfriend/mother/sister, she gives me a biscuit!"

I've had this riposte on the back burner for ages but as it would take quite an imagination to call me "fat", it is, so far, unused. Please feel free to partake of it if the need arises.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • charliechalk
    charliechalk Posts: 229
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

What sort of areas do you guys travel through?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    The only journey we've really ever done on the tandem is Brixton - Harlow. This sort of sh*t is generally absent when going through supposedly bad areas like Brixton, Elephant & Castle, Bow etc, but much more prominent as you get nearer to Essex - particularly from chavs in 4x4s and pickups driving roung places like Wanstead, Woodford, Loughton etc. If I'm in lycra on the roadie, these areas tend to invite shouts of "GO ONNNN LAD", "NICE ASSSS", "GIMP" etc from car windows as they scream past about two inches from my elbow, their gelled spiky hair and fake diamond earrings glinting in the sun... losers. I tend to console myself by thinking about how they'll never amount to anything, will probably die before me (if their cars don't kill me) etc etc and continue to cycle onwards in a Zen-like state.

Having said that, I unleashed a hatful of expletives on the scooter-riding wannabe mod who tried to kill me on the Highway this morning. He actually seemed genuinely scared, which is an achievement in lycra.
  • firsthippy
    "Yeah? That's 'cos every time I shag your wife/girlfriend/mother/sister, she gives me a biscuit!"

This is tops. I was actually half way through formulating a mum joke when I said 'good morning'. He was drunk and smiling when he was insulting me so I didn't want to be too harsh. Poor lad obviously didn't score the night before :)

"He actually seemed genuinely scared, which is an achievement in lycra."
    I dunno.. I think I'm scarier in lycra :)

hippy 1029 4312
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    I find that if you stand out in ANY way, then the scallies/chavs/young lads will aim abuse toward you.
    I used to ride a Brompton to work every day, and that got a lot of "reaction" both positive and negative.
    I have since changed to a Dahon Jack (which looks like a mountain bike) and rarely get any sort of "commentary" now.
    Its sad to say, but if you want a stress free urban ride, its better to just blend in, and get home safe.

Why have ONE bike, when you can have 4 or five, - each for a slightly different, highly specific purpose?
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firsthippy</i>

hippy 1029 4312

I've had this riposte on the back burner for ages but as it would take quite an imagination to call me "fat", it is, so far, unused. Please feel free to partake of it if the need arises.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">happy to oblige - yoooo fat bastard[:D]

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Cunobelin
    Totally OT.....

A few years ago I had to ask a patient if there was any chance of pregnancy before carrying out a procedure.

The reply was "Cut and Shut Dear, always advisable in my trade!"

NO - I didn't ask what her "trade" was - there is always too much information.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I get loads of "nice bike" comments when on my Brompton, and I've given numerous folding demonstrations. No-one gives a stuff if i'm in London but elsewhere it attracts a surprising amount of interest (considering how many of them there are around). If i'm going to get abuse then it's when I'm on a road bike. I've only had one negative comment on the Brompton and that was (exactly) "get out of the roooooooooaaaaad you faaaaahhhhking idiot". I don't think that had much to do with the bike.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    For a change (i.e. not abuse) I got the 'Your back wheel is following your front wheel' from some teenage girl this evening - my 'Really ??' response seemed to amuse her. [:D]
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

hippy 1029 4312

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">happy to oblige - yoooo fat bastard[:D]

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead

Yeah? That's 'cos every time I shag your girlfriend/wife/mother/sister she gives me a biscuit!

Hey thanks dude, that felt good.

• loobster
    loobster Posts: 62
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by charliechalk</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

What sort of areas do you guys travel through?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    The only journey we've really ever done on the tandem is Brixton - Harlow. This sort of sh*t is generally absent when going through supposedly bad areas like Brixton, Elephant & Castle, Bow etc, but much more prominent as you get nearer to Essex - particularly from chavs in 4x4s and pickups driving roung places like Wanstead, Woodford, Loughton etc. If I'm in lycra on the roadie, these areas tend to invite shouts of "GO ONNNN LAD", "NICE ASSSS", "GIMP" etc from car windows as they scream past about two inches from my elbow, their gelled spiky hair and fake diamond earrings glinting in the sun... losers. I tend to console myself by thinking about how they'll never amount to anything, will probably die before me (if their cars don't kill me) etc etc and continue to cycle onwards in a Zen-like state.

Having said that, I unleashed a hatful of expletives on the scooter-riding wannabe mod who tried to kill me on the Highway this morning. He actually seemed genuinely scared, which is an achievement in lycra.

****ing morons. I grew up with people like this, unfortunately. In Loughton no less. I havn't got any comments being out on my roadie yet, apart from a couple of wolf-whistles. But it just cracks me up anyway. I just think, well, I[m on the bike in the sunshine loving it...so what.

Check my bands page:

www.myspace.com/arktorusrann

Updates soon.
  • BShane
    BShane Posts: 56
    A while back I was riding my Dahon and an old Jewish guy pointed at it, laughed, and said "Dat's a little goyles bike" I agreed and offered to let him sniff the saddle but he ignored me.
  • Nigel Bennett
    Nigel Bennett Posts: 653
    Riding tandems must surely still generate the "Can yer ride tandem?" line (from the PG Tips advert of years ago from) the great unwashed - one of the reasons I've never ridden a tandem. The other one, of course, is not having one.

Still get the "Gerroff and milk it" and "Knees up Mother Brown" - wish they'd think up something funny for a change.

If I had a baby elephant, I'd <phrase deleted by the RSPCA>
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Barney Wattletoes</i>

I can hear them all, not least because I am still not moving very fast after three weeks - "stupid bike", "ugly", "thats a sick bike".
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'm getting old now but 'sick' in that context definitly means 'good' <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">One cyclist had a discussion with me about 'bents as we rode along, and concluded the conversation by assuring me that the bike was "well phat".

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">He sounds a bit out of touch 'phat' means wicked. Oops i just broke girlfriend's rule. No one over the age of forty should use the term 'wicked' to describe something good.

The Merckx Diaries "On the fourth lap the Lactate Threshold Party started and some extraordinary gentlemen took centre stage"